Relocating boiler to under stairs cupboard

jayc89

I'm trying to figure out what to do with our boiler. It was fitted in a room that was originally meant to be our utility room, but our plans have since changed. I had an idea about moving it to a bricked up window opening in our "cupboard under the stairs". Behind this bricked up window is our kitchen. I don't want to route the pipework through the kitchen, and given the cupboard has no outside wall, I'm trying to figure if this is possible and if so, how...

IMG_6023.thumb.jpg.50a6ce92fd3a0d252aa74ab0fe362b1b.jpg

The room at the other side of the far wall in this picture is where the boiler currently is. Ideally all pipework could be surface mounted and reconnected, via a service cavity, to existing pipework in that room.

I think that should be possible, with relative ease for the gas/water pipework, my concern is the flue....

The boiler is a Baxi Platinum, and it's dimensions are 45 x 76cm. The bricked up window opening is 90 x 95cm. I suspect it would be pretty tight to  get the flue connected with enough room below for the gas/water connections. Coupled with this, the top of the window opening is slightly higher than the sloping roof, can a flue be routed below the boiler like that?

Hopefully some experts on here can offer some advice. 

Edited by MikeSharp01
Title typo edit

I just had a look at my boiler instructions and it states the flue should run with a slope back towards the boiler.  So the flue is always going up hill from the boiler to discharge point.  This is to allow the condensation to run back to the boiler.

1 minute ago, JohnMo said:

I just had a look at my boiler instructions and it states the flue should run with a slope back towards the boiler.  So the flue is always going up hill from the boiler to discharge point.  This is to allow the condensation to run back to the boiler.

Think this is more to prevent liquid water discharge (some strange regs) as opposed to something the boiler needs to operate well/efficiently.

See page 20 and 21 of the installation manual. Looks possible if there aren't any openings nearby (I mean if the slope is ok)..

https://mediacdn.baxi.co.uk/-/media/websites/baxiuk/files/product-literature/baxi-platinum-combi/baxi_platinum_combi_installation_and_service_manual.pdf

Edited by Temp
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Temp said:

See page 20 and 21 of the installation manual. Looks possible if there aren't any openings nearby (I mean if the slope is ok)..

https://mediacdn.baxi.co.uk/-/media/websites/baxiuk/files/product-literature/baxi-platinum-combi/baxi_platinum_combi_installation_and_service_manual.pdf

Note: Horizontal flue pipes should always be installed with a fall of at least 1.5° from the terminal to allow condensate to run back to the boiler.

I guess it's a should rather than a must...

Make sure you consider what you might want to replace it with in the future, and that that can be done without messing all your plumbing and electrics around again. Remember that gas boilers are on the way out over a decade or two.

Personally I would consider boxing it in suitably where it is, too. The lattice sheet stuff that rad covers are made out of can be very useful, and can be bought in sheets relatively inexpensively.

• MikeSharp01 changed the title to Relocating boiler to under stairs cupboard