Ensuite in the cellar

Hi Experts

Is it feasible and affordable to clear out a small cellar and add a ensuite shower room with shower, basin and toilet.

Im fairly sure the main drain is close to the area but will be above the cellar floor.

How do i get the waste to go uphill???

• jack changed the title to Ensuite in the cellar
3 hours ago, ProDave said:

Saniflo but they are horrible noisy things.  Your bedroom partner won't thank you for flushing the loo in the middle of the night.

Yup. Make sure you sit down for a pee at night, because when the pump kicks in, you'll $h!t yourself.

All explained here https://www.saniflo.co.uk/installing-a-toilet/68-saniaccess-3.html

The only bit we might dispute is "quiet technology"

Top Tip:  Don't use the basement WC for a No 2.  Use a different bathroom with a conventional gravity flow WC waste.  You will thank me for this advice if the saniflow ever needs dismantling for maintenance.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

You could put a separate pump in a sump in the ground, a 'package pumping station'. This would be room sealed, have an alarm if it stops working etc.

Probably is more expensive than a saniflow but you mititgate against noise and may be easier to fix in the event of a failure. 

https://www.ttpumps.com/products/pumping-stations/package-pumping-stations/trojan-grinder

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ProDave said:

Top Tip:  Don't use the basement WC for a No 2.  Use a different bathroom with a conventional gravity flow WC waste.  You will thank me for this advice if the saniflow ever needs dismantling for maintenance.  :ph34r:

This over and over again. Go on, ask me how I know… Or more how my ex-landlord knows…

22 minutes ago, pocster said:

If you got to go macerator/ pump you’ve got to go . Someone will always do a number 2 for sure .

All you do when it busts is get a saniflo repair guy in ; pay the cash and be thankful you didn’t fix it .

That's if you can get one. The second of my 'incidents' involved an old lady neighbour  who had just returned home from hospital on a Sunday. After mopping up 🤮 I got on the phone and there was nobody available even for an emergency call out. Also she wasn't covered for saniflos on her household insurance so the carpets were replaced at her own expense. I still find it difficult to talk about my first experience but one thing is for sure they don't chop up beer bottle lids that one of my guys had deposited in the wretched machine.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

I’d second this. In fact, why don’t you do away with the toilet, and just install a urinal, that way there is no confusion as to the rules of engagement.

That’s shite ( no pun intended ) . Man up ; let people do a King Kong and suffer the result 

Edited by pocster
  • Haha 1