Expanding foam

davejura

4 hours ago, Gone West said:

Soudal foam, along with Compriband, for sealing around my windows

What thickness of Compriband? We have a couple of stone arches, soon to receive glazing, which are no longer symmetrical, and so I want enough flexible sealer to accommodate any slight joggling of the stones.

Assuming your windows are not in this situation, but suggestions welcomed.

22 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

What thickness of Compriband?

Not like your windows, but IIRC I used two strips of Compriband, which fitted into grooves in the side of the window frame, which were 15mm wide and 10/18 expansion. I then used the Soudal foam to seal up to the Compriband tape inside and outside. The advantage of the Soudal foam was that it was very flexible after it had set. In your situation I guess you could use a wide strip of Compriband, with appropriate expansion, to seal the glass to the stone and then use burnt sand mastic to point the glazing.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/08/2022 at 18:58, nod said:

Most foam isn’t airtight 

The blue stuff is the best for what you are doing 

When I read about foams that aren't airtight, am I right in thinking that it's solely due to the rigidity of the foam once cured i.e. any movement between filled surfaces will reveal a crack through which air will move? All the foams I've used appear to be "closed cell" so could hold a pressure differential. Just asking because reading this thread reminded me of my thoughts on the matter.

On 18/09/2022 at 19:44, nod said:

No

The air will travel right through most foam 

The blue foam is much better than most 

That's a bit unexpected, I wouldn't want to be sprayed all over with cheapo foam but you've saying at least I could still breathe? 😝

On 18/09/2022 at 19:44, nod said:

The air will travel right through most foam

One of the selling points of Icynene foam is it's airtightness. We didn't use any airtightness membranes or tapes in our TF house. We relied on the OSB3 racking board and the Icynene for our airtightness which came out at 0.47ACH.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/09/2022 at 20:21, Onoff said:

That Illbruck FM330 is streets ahead of anything else.

I've bought some of this and am unable to spray it with my normal foam guns. One is an Everbuild P65 and the other is a no-name Amazon foam gun. Do you need a special gun (e.g. from Illbruck) or do I have a duff batch of foam (still well in date code).

Edited by MortarThePoint

2 hours ago, MortarThePoint said:

I've bought some of this and am unable to spray it with my normal foam guns. One is an Everbuild P65 and the other is a no-name Amazon foam gun. Do you need a special gun (e.g. from Illbruck) or do I have a duff batch of foam (still well in date code).

What exactly do you mean when you say you're unable to spray it? If it screws onto the base of the gun and nothing comes out when you pull the trigger then perhaps the gun just needs cleaning? I'm sure you mean something else...

50 minutes ago, Radian said:

What exactly do you mean when you say you're unable to spray it? If it screws onto the base of the gun and nothing comes out when you pull the trigger then perhaps the gun just needs cleaning? I'm sure you mean something else...

One gun is brand new. Both sprayed cleaner ok.

41 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Have you unscrewed the adjuster at the back?

Yes, unscrewed until it fell out.

11 minutes ago, MortarThePoint said:

Do new cannisters of FM330 normally make a slopping sound when shaken. These don't but I presume that's because they are completely full. I did manage to get a trickle of FM330 out of the older gun.

Yep. I've just gone and shaken two cans of FM330 and a can of Soudal Low Expansion foam. All 3 dated 12/2023. They all are unopened, so full and all make a slopping sound.

Doing it for some reason I thought of @pocster.....

• Confused 1