Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

Just realised that to finish insulating my wall I used up all the 100mm pir I removed from above the ceiling when I fitted the downlights, speakers etc. Seems a pita to have to buy a whole sheet to make good :(

I'll shall have to keep an eye out for skips! 

It WAS going alright. Anyone spot the mistake? 

Some EBT on the edges of the pocket Aqua Panel:

20180606_183714

And on with the main bit:

20180606_202358

But then:

20180606_202411

20180606_202424

:( 

EDIT: What I meant to say is how pleased I am my falls worked out to plan! :ph34r:

Edited by Onoff

The Aqua Panels measure exactly 1200 x 900mm.

Once I correct the panel on the mitre (cut the bottom to falls and move the outlet hole) I need to infill the bit on the left being propped by the long level. It's a 910mm gap.

2018-06-06_09-51-05

2018-06-06_09-57-16

They say to leave a 3-5mm gap between Aqua Panels and fill with tile adhesive. On the face of it, quite literally then I'm bang on the money, 910-900=10mm so 5mm (gap) either side. BUT...where it meets the mitre facing panel it'll be a bit wider than 5mm at the back.

A worry or not?

12 minutes ago, Onoff said:

The Aqua Panels measure exactly 1200 x 900mm.

Once I correct the panel on the mitre (cut the bottom to falls and move the outlet hole) I need to infill the bit on the left being propped by the long level. It's a 910mm gap.

2018-06-06_09-51-05

2018-06-06_09-57-16

They say to leave a 3-5mm gap between Aqua Panels and fill with tile adhesive. On the face of it, quite literally then I'm bang on the money, 910-900=10mm so 5mm (gap) either side. BUT...where it meets the mitre facing panel it'll be a bit wider than 5mm at the back.

A worry or not?

I’m not worried ?

My roofer can pack out that gap with sticky gunk ?

23 minutes ago, pocster said:

I’m not worried ?

My roofer can pack out that gap with sticky gunk ?

Perilously close to Kevin & Perry Go Large quote "Where do you find punk?"

:)

I HATE Aqua Panel. I'll seriously consider NOT using it and going mrpb like our Welsh guru advocates next time. Dusty as f*** when cut, sharp on the hands etc. So much for 15mm edge distance, even with the proper Knauf screws it splits easy. Also if left leaning against a wall for months it takes on a curve :ph34r:

A smidge of EBT and the now modified panel put on with the outlet hole moved:

20180607_173508

Trying to stagger the joints. About 5mm here:

20180607_201627

But the side abutting the mitre is a good 10mm:

20180607_201614

The Knauf instructions say to fill gaps with tile adhesive. Could I fill these gaps BEFORE tiling I wonder?

Or again maybe something cheap on the adhesive / filler line but NOT Sikaflex EBT! 

Edited by Onoff

To be fair, you should only need 1kg to fill those gaps, you may as well buy whatever you are going to use to tile the walls (I'm sure it'll be out of date by then!).

Keraflex would be a good idea.

Otherwise if you are throwing it away you only need a 5kg of any old make.

I knew early on that a floor to ceiliby height of 2470mm was going to come back and bite me on the arse! 

Without cutting boards I sent avoid thus piddly strip about 70mm wide.

Can't have the strip at the base as v.little to screw to as the soil pipe runs behind.

Still, it'll be screwed on the short edges & I'll fill the joints and tank over it.

2018-06-09_11-55-10

2 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

personally i would take the boards off above the strip and cut a few hundred mil off them, 

yes its more cutting but then you would at least have a 270mm strip that will have a bit more strength to it...

A non starter tbh. Just realised the panel above is SIka EBT'd to the panels lining the pocket.

It's not as if we'll be slamming each other up against the shower walls in the throes of soapy passion, we'll leave that sort of thing to the newly weds! ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Realised where I've gone wrong. I should have done the side panels first THEN fitted the mitre board that is slightly pissed. Could do with leaning over in the direction of the arrow a tad. The main thing is they are level and don't lean back or forward.

20180609_143518

And now of course back to filling the gap. The label on the board says to use tile adhesive with a 3-5mm gap between boards.

In Wickes just now I found Knauf do a gap filling PU filler specifically for Aqua Panel. Label says to put one board up, put a line of this stuff up the edge and push the next board against it. £11 a tube mind! Can't believe there's not a cheaper PU based filler out thre that would do the same job!

20180609_135957

The ingredients:

20180609_140015

Instructions:

20180609_140141

And then the tape, £6 ish for 20m. Had forgotten about this.

20180609_135859

Edited by Onoff

How much of the Aqua Panel should I leave clear around the valve? This big rectangle or less and ditto the tiles. Thinking if it goes t!ts up and I need to break a tile out and get in there!

2018-06-09_03-11-51