it seemed like a good idea at the time…

Chris HB

Been meaning to do this for a while, but I thought I’d better wait until the sale was actually complete. Well, that took around 18 months, so that’s my excuse! 😂

This is something I’ve been meaning/wanting to do for a number of years. One positive thing about lockdown was that it brought into sharp focus that tomorrow is never certain, so no point putting things off that you really want to do.

Rather than build from scratch, I wanted to take on the challenge of repurposing/reimagining what could be done with a small abandoned existing building or structure. Narrowing my search down from Europe to the UK, I found the building I wanted. At least I had seen a couple of low res pics and a basic floor plan of said building! It just happened to be 750 miles away from where I live, in another country, on an island that I had never been to.

Still, it seemed like a good idea at the time. Only time will tell if that works out to be true…

small_mission_hall_004.jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Modernista said:

Good Luck Chris (from a fellow Hastonian) - I hope the planners are on board as I've heard of other similar acquisitions on Lewis where development never happened.....

small world 🙂

Yeah, planners are onboard and happy with my ideas which is a big plus 😎 but I have heard the same sort of stories of people that have bought but can’t do what they hoped with it! 

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

Keep us informed please.

Not much like Hastings, which is perhaps the point. 

I like Hasting btw.

Exactly, I wanted something totally different and the Outer Hebrides are definitely that! 😍

When I came up for the first time I did a 2,300+ road trip to explore some of the islands and just loved their raw and rugged beauty! 

https://www.vdubxs.com/2300-mile-road-trip/

6 minutes ago, Chris HB said:

Exactly, I wanted something totally different and the Outer Hebrides are definitely that! 😍

When I came up for the first time I did a 2,300+ road trip to explore some of the islands and just loved their raw and rugged beauty! 

https://www.vdubxs.com/2300-mile-road-trip/

If you are able to cover the Mission re-imagining project in the same way as your road trip (and other van life stuff) we're in for a treat. Seeing as you are a bit of a vw expert, what do you think of the VW PHEV multi van??  I've been looking for one (eco) vehicle that would enable me to ditch my electric car, van and camper and it looks like I could do all three with that.....but perhaps you are just a traditionalist and not interested in the new fangled stuff!

3 minutes ago, Modernista said:

If you are able to cover the Mission re-imagining project in the same way as your road trip (and other van life stuff) we're in for a treat. Seeing as you are a bit of a vw expert, what do you think of the VW PHEV multi van??  I've been looking for one (eco) vehicle that would enable me to ditch my electric car, van and camper and it looks like I could do all three with that.....but perhaps you are just a traditionalist and not interested in the new fangled stuff!

ha, to me, the T4 is new stuff! 🤣

I like old, new and future tech, and often a fusion of them all if it makes sense! 

I’m not personally fully convinced that electric vehicles are the way to go (but that could be a whole other topic) which is often why I like to reuse as much as possible, even in this case, with an entire building! Even if repurposing is a challenge! 

in many ways possibly keeping your older vehicles on the road for longer could be argued is more environmentally friendly compared to all the energy and resources required to make a new one? 

That said, it’s still a v1 product, so if it were me, I wouldn’t be an early adopter just yet, I’d wait and see how things develop with it. It looks interesting, needs more ideas and development with what the intended use of the rear is for IMHO?

12 minutes ago, pocster said:

Good luck mate . Do the improbable. Do the enviable. Do the impossible.

No point doing anything if it’s easy .

Thanks 👍🏼 no point in having regrets for the things you might have done, especially if you have the opportunity to give it a try! 🤪

1 minute ago, Chris HB said:

Thanks 👍🏼 no point in having regrets for the things you might have done, especially if you have the opportunity to give it a try! 🤪

100% ! . Do it and learn ! . Nothing worse than later “ wish I had “ ; though sometimes I do suffer “ wish I hadn’t “ 🙄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chris HB said:

ha, to me, the T4 is new stuff! 🤣

I like old, new and future tech, and often a fusion of them all if it makes sense! 

I’m not personally fully convinced that electric vehicles are the way to go (but that could be a whole other topic) which is often why I like to reuse as much as possible, even in this case, with an entire building! Even if repurposing is a challenge! 

in many ways possibly keeping your older vehicles on the road for longer could be argued is more environmentally friendly compared to all the energy and resources required to make a new one? 

That said, it’s still a v1 product, so if it were me, I wouldn’t be an early adopter just yet, I’d wait and see how things develop with it. It looks interesting, needs more ideas and development with what the intended use of the rear is for IMHO?

Thanks for those thoughts....as you say a much bigger question for another time......I did get my i3 rex in 2015 as an early adopter and haven't regretted it (and it regularly travels from Dundee to Skye and Raasay) but as you say it is risky. Good Luck with it all and look forward to seeing progress.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Modernista said:

Thanks for those thoughts....as you say a much bigger question for another time......I did get my i3 rex in 2015 as an early adopter and haven't regretted it (and it regularly travels from Dundee to Skye and Raasay) but as you say it is risky. Good Luck with it all and look forward to seeing progress.

there are many classic cars (including VW Beetles and Splitties) that have had an electric conversion. The instant torque on demand must be amazing in such comparatively light vehicles compared to how much more modern cars weigh.

That said, the conversion is not cheap and you can buy a lot of petrol even at todays prices for £30k+ 

9 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Looks like a good roof for PV.

Which way does it face?

Yep, could well be. The longitudinal axis of the building is North/South, with the van pointing north, so the main roof you see faces West  

I understand that PV technology is advancing all the time in terms of efficiency, as although long hours of daylight in the summer, not always the sunniest of places! 🤣

3 minutes ago, Chris HB said:

The longitudinal axis of the building is North/South

That is good, can use both sides.

4 minutes ago, Chris HB said:

understand that PV technology is advancing all the time in terms of efficiency

Not by much, maybe 0.5% a year, and that is probably down to better manufacturing that chemistry.

There is a theoretical limit to what basic silicon can deliver, think it is 29%. So not worth delaying installation. 

Is there a decent stream on the grounds?

• Like 1

There’s a tiny brook at the front, someone’s Croft at the rear. There’s mains water in the area, just trying to find the nearest access point without needing to go under the road!

We are just back from a week long camping trip on Lewis, Harris and a night in a hotel on Skye. Loved it but it really is a remote and somewhat bleak area (well Lewis is) But it is very beautiful. 

DEA966EF-A337-4E9E-9407-1EBC3E2A3D48.jpeg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Chris HB said:

Yep, could well be. The longitudinal axis of the building is North/South, with the van pointing north, so the main roof you see faces West  

Assuming no shading, according to PVGIS, at around 58oN with a 3.8kWp PV array on each side you could get a yearly energy production of around 4500kWh. If that was entirely self-consumed, especially after the next price cap rise, it could easily be displacing a couple of £k annually. I'm guessing it has a grid connection but off-grid might be attractive depending on how you intend to make use of the property.

• Like 1