it seemed like a good idea at the time…

Chris HB

25 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

and we did it in our leccy car with no issues charging it. Even cooked breakfast powered from it 

What is needed is a PHEV with a 6 kW PTO and 30 kWh of usable storage. A thermal PTO may be useful as well.

Better get my pencils out and use my 40 year old degree in automotive engineering to save the world.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

wind turbine? and before anybody says anything i know, i know. but there will probably be more wind than sun.........

There are loads of wind turbines on the islands but fewer than I expected. They are dear to install though. Have you seen the flower turbines? I’ve contacted the company that does them but they haven’t been very forthcoming with info. 

12 hours ago, Simplysimon said:

wind turbine? and before anybody says anything i know, i know. but there will probably be more wind than sun.........

yep, wind is a major thing here. Apparently the regularly get winds over 100mph at least five times a year! It’s pretty exposed so wind turbines are a good idea here!

12 hours ago, Kelvin said:

We are just back from a week long camping trip on Lewis, Harris and a night in a hotel on Skye. Loved it but it really is a remote and somewhat bleak area (well Lewis is) But it is very beautiful. 

DEA966EF-A337-4E9E-9407-1EBC3E2A3D48.jpeg

the remoteness and the raw and rugged beauty of the islands is what I loved the most!

visited some stunning locations on my recent road trip from the top of Lewis down to Barra 😍

https://www.vdubxs.com/road-trips/

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

I lived in an island in the West Indies.

It is the ruggedness and remoteness I grew to hate.

yeah, I can see how that could happen. I’d potentially see this more as a base to go exploring from, rather than just a fixed permanent location. 

We did see quite a few derelict houses on our travels and we debated about whether we could live there. We are building a Heb Home and there are a fair few on the islands and we even cheekily knocked ok the door of one and the owner showed is round.  

3 hours ago, Chris HB said:

the remoteness and the raw and rugged beauty of the islands is what I loved the most!

visited some stunning locations on my recent road trip from the top of Lewis down to Barra 😍

https://www.vdubxs.com/road-trips/

Nice website. We loved the remote rugged terrain too and the beaches!  Harris looks like the moon in places. We just couldn’t live there. I got chatting to a retired copper. Born on the Island but moved to London to do his collaring and retired back to the Island. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

Nice website. We loved the remote rugged terrain too and the beaches!  Harris looks like the moon in places. We just couldn’t live there. I got chatting to a retired copper. Born on the Island but moved to London to do his collaring and retired back to the Island. 

thanks 😊 yeah Lewis is flatter and like a wild moorland in places, Harris and Uig are more more hilly/rocky. I know what you mean, Harris did feel kind of what I imagined the moon would be like! Absolutely loved it! 🤪

39 minutes ago, Chris HB said:

wild moorland in places, Harris and Uig are more more hilly/rocky.

I much prefer ruggedness and mountains fir holidays than Spanish beaches etc. When touring Europe a few years ago we took the mountain roads through the Alps, stunning.

33 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

If I was there, first trips would be to Fort William or Inverness.

They seem to be the closest Costa Coffees.

you can get decent coffee on the island, and although I’m camping out at the moment, life’s too short for bad tea or coffee, so my AeroPress does me fine, better than most overpriced mainstream coffee chains 😉🤣

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

If I was there, first trips would be to Fort William or Inverness.

They seem to be the closest Costa Coffees.

10 minutes ago, pocster said:

Shame on you ! . Minimum acceptability is Pret !

That’s great, we know where to get away from these two!!!!!

2 hours ago, Chris HB said:

you can get decent coffee on the island, and although I’m camping out at the moment, life’s too short for bad tea or coffee, so my AeroPress does me fine, better than most overpriced mainstream coffee chains 😉🤣

Costa is rank. Down in Harris there’s a great cafe called The Temple Cafe. Had a lovely lunch there after walking miles on the beach. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Back up again to the Isle of Lewis, this time camping in a small tent inside the building to try and stay a little warmer and more sheltered…0B1440F7-D130-448E-9D28-59361511E7AE.thumb.jpeg.6f108477e831adaa97e0645ebfd5685c.jpeg

started out a bit snowy when I first arrived, but has now risen to a balmy 8° 🤪 but hey, I finally have working electricity now! 😎

So far just removed just over a tonne of old plasterboard and disposed of it at the dump. All good progress!

• Like 6

• 1 year later...