Zoot wood balcony job.

54 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

I think its gonna have to be 4x2 ( fix onto 3x3, should be ok) & chamfer the edges.

That's only 1/2" gap overhang either side. With 5" you'd get an inch either side. You could even think about routing a drip groove on the underside.

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

That's only 1/2" gap overhang either side. With 5" you'd get an inch either side. You could even think about routing a drip groove on the underside.

Im not sure I can get 5x2, but will check. 4x2 would be a lighter load. It might have to be 5x1 or 4x2. 

Why they make the spindles only 900mm if B.Regs says a balcony handrail must be 1100mm high, I really can't understand.

The difference with the design I'm going with, I think perhaps means I can't use the "usual" handrail joe90 shows, with spindles fitted into it, the rail timber below that the spindles sit in, & lastly the trim bits put in between.

I think the standard way is to have posts running from ground up, & up onward from the deck to then use these "usual" handrail bits that fit together.. all fitting between such posts.

My handrail structure, I think, surely needs to be creating more solidity than usual, because I have no posts from the ground going up to use- so I'm effectively making a second structure onto the already-built first stage. I need extra cross bracing, & spindles attatched to side of my built frame.

Edited by zoothorn

The ideal would have been to carry your 6x6 posts up to handrail height where they would have doubled as corner posts. 

You could look to make it as 3 stud walls in your workshop, then hoik them up. Affix your corner posts with galv brackets.

Many ways to skin this cat but you gets what you get when you make it up as you go along!

This idea with the gap at the bottom would allow for shorter standards:

Deck_Railing.thumb.jpeg.c7d0612d01d929b48d5addd661f8575e.jpeg

How about two of these. Fix direct to the deck on each two front corners.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SS8-Support-2-8inch-Bracket-Galvanised/dp/B09WJM15JX/ref=mp_s_a_1_25?

61b4UMGTc-L._AC_SY200_QL15_.jpg.9464444325d4498b5242d209133b12d9.jpg

For the outer 3 fixings, bfo stainless coach bolts. The inboard fixing might need to be a stainless steel nut and bolt. 

Then your 3x3 corner legs come up off of these.

Edit: Shop around on price.

Edited by Onoff

6 hours ago, Onoff said:

The ideal would have been to carry your 6x6 posts up to handrail height where they would have doubled as corner posts. 

You could look to make it as 3 stud walls in your workshop, then hoik them up. Affix your corner posts with galv brackets.

Many ways to skin this cat but you gets what you get when you make it up as you go along!

This idea with the gap at the bottom would allow for shorter standards:

Deck_Railing.thumb.jpeg.c7d0612d01d929b48d5addd661f8575e.jpeg

Aha, that's why this eg was shown ( thanks whoever it was). Right, now I can think of a 2nd way to do this then.

I realise if I had gone full height with my posts, then this "2nd stage" handrail job would be plain sailing. Butas mentioned from theoff, I couldn't do those tall posts, myself alone. I could only take on board the design I have chosen.

I'm just limited to the materials choice really. I have the blueprint design, which is a continuation of the job I've been copying, & this doesn't use these 3-sections-standard-shaped-handrail-components shown in the UK example pics in recent replies. It uses bog std tannalised timber instead. So I just need to follow my plan onwards, but with a different 'compromised' perhaps choice of timber.

Thanks, zoot 

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

How about two of these. Fix direct to the deck on each two front corners.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SS8-Support-2-8inch-Bracket-Galvanised/dp/B09WJM15JX/ref=mp_s_a_1_25?

61b4UMGTc-L._AC_SY200_QL15_.jpg.9464444325d4498b5242d209133b12d9.jpg

For the outer 3 fixings, bfo stainless coach bolts. The inboard fixing might need to be a stainless steel nut and bolt. 

Then your 3x3 corner legs come up off of these.

Edit: Shop around on price.

Hi Onoff,

I think I'm ok with plan as was, for the 6 posts fixing ( notched then fixed to existing outside of lower frame, & I had turbo screws ready for here 2x in each notch > frame: could replace with coachbolts if I felt the it all not super solid).

The back two posts adjacent to the wobbly wall.. also needing a resin bolt twds the top. This the only tricky bit really.

I had this ^ idea lined all up, & some bits bought y'day. The top rail: 5x2 checks out at 4-3/4 of course.. so get some/ chamfer edges & I have my top handrail. (You were right again I think). My timber braces across: tannalised 3-1/2 x 1-1/2.. I found in town.

So just looong spindles to source, the 1-1/2" square jobs 

i found... looking like will have to do.

One other thing: I wonder would anyone have a spare fischer 300t type nozzle I could buy? £10 for 5x is such a waste of money, & plastic. Red & clear plastic jobs.

Thanks, zoot

2 hours ago, zoothorn said:

One other thing: I wonder would anyone have a spare fischer 300t type nozzle I could buy? £10 for 5x is such a waste of money, & plastic. Red & clear plastic jobs.

I've got a couple of Fischer resin nozzles, which must be 20 years old, which you are welcome to.

They look like these on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Polyester-Chemical-Anchor-Replacement-Nozzles/dp/B006ZLAKJO/

The threaded part is 20/21mm diameter. If you want them PM me and I'll stick them in an envelope for you.

2 hours ago, Gone West said:

I've got a couple of Fischer resin nozzles, which must be 20 years old, which you are welcome to.

They look like these on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Polyester-Chemical-Anchor-Replacement-Nozzles/dp/B006ZLAKJO/

The threaded part is 20/21mm diameter. If you want them PM me and I'll stick them in an envelope for you.

Hi GW.. you're a gent- thanks alot! I see on the amazon page 'frequently bought together' showing my fischer stuff with it.. so presumably fits; I can't of course take my nozzle off to check 20/21mm or it'll go solid I think.

I'll pm you now. Zoot 

Progress yesterday.. the fischer tube just needed 1cm declogging both sections, then worked again great (with nozzle kindly sent by GW). 

So my 2 back posts to do onto resin'd studs.. then spindles & 4x2 handrail today.. these two will let the side down a bit, but can be redone next year with better timber.

Thanks, zoot

35FEC0A8-347F-437B-9D14-737652BF7B93.jpeg

63D0B9FB-4EE3-4536-9283-2122480DA3C8.jpeg

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

If you wanted to tone down those concrete pads, you could mix up some waterproof tile adhesive and cover it in the same gravel as the drive. Or get some offcuts of AstroTurf or paint with black masonary paint etc.

Yes they do ping out. I thought I should've just put some drive gravel ontop as it was curing, to blend it in. And help splash up under the pillar feet. Oh well.. last job, thanks for tip.

zh

I'll say sorry now. Couldn't be bothered ready the 500 odd posts.

All I can say is f*** me this thread started in June, slow progress, more time working, less time on forums, you may have it finished for Christmas.  Otherwise you may miss next summer at this rate.

Edited by JohnMo
Spelling

2 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

I'll say sorry now.

So you should, at least he is trying (very 🤣) and with the help of those (some) here has made a good job of it, we are not all confident with DIY but he has got there (nearly).

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

All I can say is f*** me this thread started in June, slow progress, more time working, less time on forums, you may have it finished for Christmas.  Otherwise you may miss next summer at this rate.

Pity you weren't around for my bathroom thread! 😂

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Onoff said:

Those handrail posts look very high as in over 1100mm. Optical illusion?

No they're 1055mm notch to top. It's stupidly high this handrail as it is without the top on.. really spoils the sitting out & the view from the new room too.

It's due to the pillar so short you think this, another (very last) caveat of the whole 'build a foot too low' debacle.

Anyway resin bolted back posts/ great, & all 4 corner posts joined & solid now. Spindles 'agricultural' ( literally: 37 stake whatnots) but i like em.. far cheaper too. Zh

AD66B9E7-06F1-464B-86BE-E601516167C7.jpeg

7D989BEB-33AC-45C4-AFCA-B0FC8EF30D62.jpeg

8 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Onoff's bathroom thread was started in 2007, & is still going on apparantly. Some members have actually died during it.

zh

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, PeterW said:

@zoothorn that’s one bloody good job !! Top rail on, stain the rest and it’s a job very well done !!

Not sure what you’ve used to paint it but slap some on the concrete pads too and it will disappear .. 

Hi Peter, thanks.. my top rail 'bit of 4 be 2' is gonna let the side down tho! Spindles oddly seem to blend in ok, rough as heck they are.. prolly go all wibbly wobbly "rustic" (= shite) by next year.