Hello Everyone

tarikokur

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Yes.

You are asking one machine to work over a relatively wide range of temperatures. i.e. DWH OAT 0°C WT 50°C, Heating OAT 5°C WT 35°C, Cooling OAT 26°C WT 12°C.

Engineering can overcome much of it, but it has no control over the weather, or the power demands of some users.

Yes but they do it, well mine does . I don’t get what you mean?

2 hours ago, RobLe said:

Here's a pic of ours, been heating our house 'since Dec last year.

There you go! That's what I'm talking about 🤩 Never mind us here, the entire world needs a write-up!

I do appreciate that's quite a big ask, but at the very least a few more photos please (or pointers to anywhere else you may have shown this).

3 hours ago, joe90 said:
4 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Yes but they do it, well mine does . I don’t get what you mean?

You could have 3 individual machines, better tuned to the temperature ranges. That would up the efficiency.

One of the reasons that an A2AHP can give a CoP of 4 to 5 is because it it not heating water to 50⁰.

I gave up asking chill-store contractors about harvesting the waste heat to use for adjacent offices. Still sees feasible to me in my ignorance.

Eventually I found one guy who seemed to understand it, and he said you can only get about 10% of the energy out of the expelled hot air, so it was not worth it.

The big heat pump companies have systems allow for different zones in an office, so the waste heat is used elsewhere. But I don't know how well it works.

I think the various heating and cooling returns are merged before recharging....or is that simplistic?

45 minutes ago, joe90 said:

At what cost? 

That is the limiting factor.  But if you could get a half decent HP for a few hundred quid, as opposed to 3k, then the sums change.

It also depends on what you are being charged for a kWh of power, and what your income is.

27 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

I gave up asking chill-store contractors about harvesting the waste heat to use for adjacent offices.

Corby Leisure Centre had a project that did this.  It extracted waste heat and dumped it in a lake.  Then, when heating was needed, extracted, via HPs, and pumped it back into the building.

Was a disaster, and to the best of my knowledge, never tried again.

The Jubilee Pool in PZ tried to heat the Art Deco pool with geothermal energy, then a GSHP as they hit problems.  Again, a disaster, especially considering the Atlantic Ocean was less than 10 metres away and they already pumped in seawater.  I did suggest that they fit WSHPs, but was told, in no uncertain terms, that the technology was ground breaking and someone had to be first to do it.  Pointed out that they were not first and could I look at the heat loss calculations please.  Think I pissed them off then.

Knobs.

Edited by SteamyTea

15 hours ago, saveasteading said:

I gave up asking chill-store contractors about harvesting the waste heat to use for adjacent offices. Still sees feasible to me in my ignorance.

Eventually I found one guy who seemed to understand it, and he said you can only get about 10% of the energy out of the expelled hot air, so it was not worth it.

That sounds like they were thinking of a heat exchanger in the air stream?

My idea would be a Fgas to Water heat exchanger on the "output" of the chiller.  Then the water can do a useful function like heat an adjacent building or some hot water, and only dump the "waste" heat to a radiator and a fan if there is nothing else needing to use it.

15 hours ago, saveasteading said:

The big heat pump companies have systems allow for different zones in an office, so the waste heat is used elsewhere. But I don't know how well it works.

I think the various heating and cooling returns are merged before recharging....or is that simplistic?

How do they make it 10% when my Heat Recovery Fan claims to recover 70-80%?

On 03/06/2022 at 21:59, tarikokur said:

At the moment, I only listen to British life stories from my boss who graduated from Manchester Metropolitan University MSc program and lived for a while.

Welcome, Tarik.

If it was Manchester, presumably the stories are mainly about rain and football. 😎

I have educated myself and I am told that the new pronunciation for the name of Turkey is (phonetically in English) "Turkier" or "Turkia". I tried to make it Turk-e-i (as in E-I-E-O from a couple of English songs), but was corrected quite firmly.

I enjoy visiting Turkey too - I sometimes fly to Istanbul and stay at a high end hotel for transit elsewhere. But last time I went to the City itself and took a folding bike with me on the aeroplane. The bike worked very well, apart from the tramlines. I came off the bike and an enterprising gent rescued me, then tried to sell me a carpet - an interesting experience. Very enjoyable overall.

Ferdinand

24 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

came off the bike and an enterprising gent rescued me, then tried to sell me a carpet

Nicer falling onto a carpet than a road. Should have asked him to deliver it for free. Would have kept him busy, and 2 paces Infront of you all day.

11 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

How do they make it 10% when my Heat Recovery Fan claims to recover 70-80%?

I think because the priority is to get the inside cold, so they chuck away heat as fast as they can. Then capturing any of that is not efficient.

Pouring the heat into an adjacent cold warehouse that should be warm would heat it very quickly, but would soon become less efficient all round.

Putting it through a heat exchanger would work of course, but on a very small scale compared to the primary function.