Self-sharpening chainsaws

Oregon PowerSharp bar ... has a reverse bevel chain so the top of the tooth is sharpened not the curved cut as per a normal chain. 

Stick the stone on it and rev the nuts off it whilst pressing onto a sturdy log and a shower of sparks later you have a sharp chain ...

They fit well onto Stihl saws but Husqvarna is a challenge. See them on the low end stuff in the sheds now as it means Joe Public can use a sharp chain to hack his own leg off rather than spend money on PPE and a sharpening system ...

One feels slightly heckled :D.

Last time I asked this question I skirted around the need to buy a chainsaw, however I now have a couple of reasonably sized but not large trees that need a trim.

B&Q have discontinued this option, but I see that the Oregan Powersharp system is available on a 2000W Qualqast (!) corded chainsaw from Argos (link) at £79.95. That looks like a good deal if an Electric Saw is suitable, given that the Powersharp system to retrofit costs approx £60. Looks badge engineered in exactly the same way as the B&Q.

Chain speed 13.5 m/s.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

I got this chainsaw as it was the cheapest and its one of the best buys I've ever got. http://www.ie.screwfix.com/titan-ttb355chn-40-5cm-2000w-electric-chainsaw-230v.html

I'm amazed it's still going with all I've thrown at it. It's a bad photo but it's cut trees which were 18 inch in diameter into logs I then split and have drying in the shed. I bought a cheap set of files to try and sharpen the chain a few weeks ago and now when I look at the cost of a new chain I just can't be bothered to spend the time sharpening each link and will just get a new chain. It's more than paid for itself.

IMG_5921.JPG

I bought the same and even the file as well. Have had  to sharpen it twice and to be honest it's no where near as sharp as it was new so I just bought the chain to match from screwfix, life's to short to be sharpening chains each time when a new one is so cheap.

35 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

you lazy b*stards xD 

theres 90 odd teeth on my chains and it still only takes a few minutes to sharpen them, even quicker with a dremel attachment. 

Yep guilty as charged. I only use mine very rarely now as I have all my trees logged up. Maybe 5 times a year it would get used. If it's for some one else then I tell them the chain is blunt but buy me this one, points to image on phone from sfix, and you can use away.

9 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Bet S'fix charge £12 per chain too ...!

I pay £6.50 for a new one and I've got one of these on the bench ..! 

https://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products-page/portek/sharpening-equipment1/portek-mini-chainmaster-mk2-electric-chain-sharpener/?gclid=CK7xw_21_NMCFZG6GwodJKQFcQ#

My uncle used his sharpener on mine and it did get it sharp. 

58 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Look out in Lidl, those type of sharpeners were around  £20

.... I like my chains ... xD

I buy decent chains, and I make them last ..! Oregon are good but I've swapped recently and I'm quite impressed. 

I also use TC rough service chains too for "unknown" trees and you can't sharpen those with a file ..!

All told I've probably got £1500 worth of kit inc PPE so it's horses for courses ...