Is the entrance door a 'first fix" item?

Dreadnaught

When during my build should I install my entrance door?

Is it ideally a first fix item before plastering? Or can it be left to second fix? When did everyone else install theirs?

I have a temporary front door in at present.

With my build, I am can now see the end of external cladding and am heading towards starting first-fix proper.

Given the entrance doors typically have 2- to 3-month delivery times, my thoughts are turning to the spec-and-order.

It depends, if its going to end up getting ruined by careless contractors bashing past it for the next 6 months then I would say hold off, you could put the lining/frame in and add protection. Depends how your going to trim round the door ext/int when you would need to get it in, but in most normal situations you could screw in a wooden door lining, made from 2x6 and a temp door. Also depends on things like security.

Can you obtain a second hand temp door?

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

This is interesting and something I’ve been pondering too. My timber kit deal is they install ever Including windows and doors and I was also concerned about it getting damaged. Something to discuss with timber kit company 

Install the front door, then lock it, and only allow 3rd parties to use the back door. Cover the threshold and buy some £5 strips of PVC 25x25mm angle to stop any damage to the frame by accidental / careless traffic.

For any instances where opening the front door are sensible / practical / outright necessary, be there to open it, monitor, then lock it again.

• Like 1