A Game of Draughts

Onoff

19 hours ago, Onoff said:

Only thing is with the 40mm Marmox, once plastered there'll only be about 10mm of frame showing at the sides. About 15mm at the top and maybe 20mm at the sill assuming I get a black ash effect uPVC sill later.

Yes, little left of our window frames after insulation. We made the internal skin window hole larger too....

7 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Progress seems to be going backwards.

Either direction is movement! 

Right, the Illbruck can says spray with water not PVA. Just dug the old foam out and it was still wet behind it where I'd sprayed before. PVA would have stayed wet. Imvho!

Kind chap that I am I gave the new gun to the guy who's gun I borrowed on the quick. Just had to strip and rebuild his old gun here! 

I'm going in! 

1649351075318-1272159891.thumb.jpg.582fe290f7cfe5679e99f6180261c90a.jpg

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Just had to strip and rebuild his old gun here!

Oh those things are a PITA. Even after soaking in cellulose thinner overnight a thin film seems to remain in all the inaccessible places.

4 minutes ago, Radian said:

Oh those things are a PITA. Even after soaking in cellulose thinner overnight a thin film seems to remain in all the inaccessible places.

Tbh I like doing them. Sometimes they're a goner if the central shaft is PTFE coated and it's worn through though.

This one's back together, silicone greased up and working a treat. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Radian said:

Oopsey! Is that what that 'film' was? 😄

Well it's been black like on a frying pan the ones I've done.

This one I just rescued had a shiny steel shaft with no apparent coating. 

I've found, or, I've been incredibly lucky that the illbruck foam doesnt knacker the guns up half as much as the everbuild cheap stuff from toolstation, never used a cleaner yet, and it was a cheapo 12 quid gun from amazon.  Run a blade over the nozzle on the next use and the gun is good to go again.  I managed to find a supplier for the little 1" reducing nozzles on ebay - probably one of the best finds of the build so far for me...

Edit, good going on the draught blocking..

Edited by crispy_wafer

2 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

🙄. How many wet window reveals do you have?

Not wet, wet, just where I'd foamed a layer and let set then sprayed with water and foamed again I think.

@Nickfromwales, what's the score then with using this Illbruck FM330 to stick the Marmox boards on?

I was thinking:

- Dry fit the boards and masking tape the upvc frame.

- Measure and cut some batten cross braces to wedge the boards into position

- Water spray both surfaces

Then the main one:

- Foam the 4 edges of each board will meet the wall and some lines in between at say 300mm centres?

Aiming to go soffit, sill then sides. I'll shim the battens as required to tweak things plumb.

When done, sharp blade to cut through any foam and the masking tape.

On the assumption this foam is airtight I won't need a membrane around the reveal I'm thinking?

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

@Nickfromwales, what's the score then with using this Illbruck FM330 to stick the Marmox boards on?

I was thinking:

- Dry fit the boards and masking tape the upvc frame.

- Measure and cut some batten cross braces to wedge the boards into position

- Water spray both surfaces

Then the main one:

- Foam the 4 edges of each board will meet the wall and some lines in between at say 300mm centres?

Aiming to go soffit, sill then sides. I'll shim the battens as required to tweak things plumb.

When done, sharp blade to cut through any foam and the masking tape.

On the assumption this foam is airtight I won't need a membrane around the reveal I'm thinking?

A1 reverend. 😎
I’d be priming the surfaces but you don’t want the PVA, so use tile adhesive primer or SBR maybe. Foam will adhere to what is behind, if that’s friable then it’ll be shart. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

A1 reverend. 😎
I’d be priming the surfaces but you don’t want the PVA, so use tile adhesive primer or SBR maybe. Foam will adhere to what is behind, if that’s friable then it’ll be shart. 

Wet, tacky or dry?

OK I concede.

Illbruck FM330 is whole different can of foam!

To trim the excess I struggled to cut it with my normal fine toothed hand saw or the couple of old bread knives that are my usual goto. 

Resorted to the 18V Fakita multi tool. 

It's weird. Not like the crunchy run of the mill expanding foam. This stuff is like rubberised merengue...but in a good way.

Not sure if when you cut into the shiny top skin you bugger the airtightness properties? I suspect not.

It's bloody tough stuff!

• Like 1

Could you advise a good on-line supplier of this FM330? I need to get on with the foam-a-thon in this place, and doing the window reveals is on my list of things to do ASAP.

EDIT: £104 for a case of 12, delivered, eBay... That seems reasonable

Edited by HughF

40 minutes ago, HughF said:

Could you advise a good on-line supplier of this FM330? I need to get on with the foam-a-thon in this place, and doing the window reveals is on my list of things to do ASAP.

Try Icf supplies in Essex I know they are linked to the company somehow. 

37 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Try Icf supplies in Essex I know they are linked to the company somehow. 

Don't appear to have a web shop - I'm not ordering over the phone, they'll get my address wrong...

eBay it is...

1 hour ago, HughF said:

That seems good. Is that including the VAT? 

From Fixings Warehouse where I got mine it'd be £133.20 delivered.

Watch for the use by date on the can. All December 2023 on the 4 I bought here. 

14 hours ago, Onoff said:

Not sure if when you cut into the shiny top skin you bugger the airtightness properties? I suspect not.

Called 'integral skin'. Similar chemistry to those black, foam armrest on office chairs and your car steering wheel.

Generally if you cut it, it absorbs water, so you will loose some of the airtightness.

43 minutes ago, Onoff said:

That seems good. Is that including the VAT? 

From Fixings Warehouse where I got mine it'd be £133.20 delivered.

Watch for the use by date on the can. All December 2023 on the 4 I bought here. 

It’s eBay, so all prices must include vat, eBay being setup as a b2c sales platform. I vigorously report listings that  breach these rules as I really have nothing better to waste my evenings on 😂

2 hours ago, HughF said:

It’s eBay, so all prices must include vat, eBay being setup as a b2c sales platform. I vigorously report listings that  breach these rules as I really have nothing better to waste my evenings on 😂

Bet you're a proper fanny magnet! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, HughF said:

https://www.toolden.co.uk/sealants-adhesives/expanding-foams/expanding-foams-professional-diy/illbruck-fm330-pro-foam-air-seal-pack-of-12/?gclid=CjwKCAjw3cSSBhBGEiwAVII0Z2aeaxWlZ2NEq0X_5xwDnHpvOKbieG0Bhvxn9-TJV4ewCeAqFFeXIxoCJYYQAvD_BwE

Fast delivery. Trusted supplier. I use these a lot. 

Edited by Nickfromwales