How to cope with coping stones

6 hours ago, pocster said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder 

She’s an ugly dog .

Initially I just foamed the gaps . But then a precise breeze decided to blow the foam down the lane - hence the cardboard …

0966AF5E-C36E-4BA1-A789-77CCD51CF283.jpeg

Foam? Madness…..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pocster said:

You have no faith ! Watch the ugly duckling turn into a beautiful swan …

Morning Sir, that’s a good attitude to life :)

Edited by markc
  • Haha 1

Wot I said 👍

Worst you'll have to do is pick foam out of the sides and do a little repointing. Leave the top rough as a key for the final mortar. I might even prime with SBR as you go whenyou lay them for added bite.

• Like 1

Just now, Onoff said:

Wot I said 👍

Worst you'll have to do is pick foam out of the sides and do a little repointing. Leave the top rough as a key for the final mortar. I might even prime with SBR as you go whenyou lay them for added bite.

I’ll leave it until Monday to fully cure . Take off the shuttering . Pick off foam . Knick any high bits out . Stick a level on it - won’t be perfect , but will easily do . @Onoff had faith ! 🤣😁👍

5 minutes ago, pocster said:

I’ll leave it until Monday to fully cure . Take off the shuttering . Pick off foam . Knick any high bits out . Stick a level on it - won’t be perfect , but will easily do . @Onoff had faith ! 🤣😁👍

Just chuck the end ones in first then infill between against a string line.

42 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Wot I said 👍

Sbr on coping underside ? . All on a thin bed of mortar .

or add sbr to the mortar mix ?

4 hours ago, pocster said:

Sbr on coping underside ? . All on a thin bed of mortar .

or add sbr to the mortar mix ?

Feel free to carry on ignoring me 😁 But your best results will come from applying a SBR cement slurry to both surfaces before you bed them on. You would only have needed to apply it to the copings if you'd bedded them directly on top of the levelling fill. That's now a 'day joint'.

Just get a rectangular icecream container and cover the bottom in SBR. Slowly add cement and stir in to make a porridge. If too thick/thin add more SBR/cement. You want to be able to apply with a stiff paintbrush - like one of those boxy 4" fence paint brushes.

You can also add SBR to the bedding mix using the mixing instructions on the container. This will frostproof things by making the mortar less water permeable.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Radian said:

Feel free to carry on ignoring me 😁 But your best results will come from applying a SBR cement slurry to both surfaces before you bed them on. You would only have needed to apply it to the copings if you'd bedded them directly on top of the levelling fill. That's now a 'day joint'.

Just get a rectangular icecream container and cover the bottom in SBR. Slowly add cement and stir in to make a porridge. If too thick/thin add more SBR/cement. You want to be able to apply with a stiff paintbrush - like one of those boxy 4" fence paint brushes.

You can also add SBR to the bedding mix using the mixing instructions on the container. This will frostproof things by making the mortar less water permeable.

Didn’t ignore you - just forgot 😁

I only ignore @epsilonGreedy ; oh look ; he’s disappeared; strange that …. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pocster said:

Didn’t ignore you - just forgot

T'was just my silly way of excusing repeating what I suggested earlier 🤪

Like @Onoff says SBR can make stuff go off a bit quick but as a slurry it stays workable for quite a while. Bedding mortar may go a bit quicker but at this time of year it shouldn't be an issue.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

And look how calm the place has been.

He has liked a couple of my posts since the upgrade, I did not feel I needed to write a thank you note.

Bit like a busy road in the week . Lots of traffic and noise . Now the forum feels like the same road but on a Sunday .

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Now the forum feels like the same road but on a Sunday

Ah, Sundays, when I am driving up to Bucks, via Devon, Somerset, Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire.  Don't think Avon exists now, but I would go though there as well.  I am slowly learning all the names of the Rivers I cross. 

50 minutes ago, pocster said:

There !

Certainly not level ( maybe 10mm deviation ) but a lot better .

81E844B9-E4C6-4D82-8F32-97FF7E90154C.jpeg

Is that your back alley on the right? Looks quite tight for getting anything up there.

• Haha 1

My smugness ended today .

I got up properly to look at my cast concrete with a spirit level …. 
It wibbles and wobbles around . It’s not level . So I embedded frame packers in cement at the low levels so that my spirit level shows level between them .Now when I bed the copings ( I think these biggies are maybe 60kg each ) they will sink . So I will put packers on the wall and cement around them to the level . Assumption is coping will only drop so far until it hits packers and cement. Someone say this is a good idea please 😁👍

Edited by pocster
F up
  • Like 1