House design opinions

Have you had a price and delivery schedule?

What level of insulation are going for?

Things to add to price.

All ground work, erection, depending external finish, external block work, render etc.

46 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Have you had a price and delivery schedule?

What level of insulation are going for?

Things to add to price.

All ground work, erection, depending external finish, external block work, render etc.

82k for frame/insulated, doors windows and sirtingboards/stairs, ill use a white wet dash render on outsides, does it look an expensive design? surely the founds wont need to be as deep/expensive as a 2 storey alyhough footprint needs to be slightly larger?

16 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

does anyone know roughly how much that semi vaulted living room will add to the cost over just a standard room?

£500 to £50,000…. Size, finish, spec, engineering.. list goes on. What does it replace and how much other space do you lose..? 

No difference in foundations between 1.5 and 2 storey.  If you want cheap foundations, you want a square / rectangle design not that more complex T shaped house.  The extra costs of the T shaped house extend to the roof, tiling etc.

Isn't this a new thread just continuing the discussion of the previous thread?

If this is a house in the countryside in Scotland you won't get permission for a full blown 2 storey house, there has to be some element of room in roof.

If choosing a stock design, make sure it works with the site and house orientation.  e.g you want to enjoy the best view from the living room and/ or catch the sun.  I have seen stock houses put on a site backwards to try and achieve that with rather odd results.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

No difference in foundations between 1.5 and 2 storey.  If you want cheap foundations, you want a square / rectangle design not that more complex T shaped house.  The extra costs of the T shaped house extend to the roof, tiling etc.

Isn't this a new thread just continuing the discussion of the previous thread?

If this is a house in the countryside in Scotland you won't get permission for a full blown 2 storey house, there has to be some element of room in roof.

Yes its a new thread now that ive decided which to pick just getting some more thoughts, i understand the t shape adds cost but a serious amount? I picked this design because the living room will face west to get views/sun and the kitchen/diner will also catch some of the views/sun, i also thought given the fact it has rooms in the roof and no dormer windows it might be a reasonably low cost build? The planners didnt like the origional 2 storey box shape 

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

£500 to £50,000…. Size, finish, spec, engineering.. list goes on. What does it replace and how much other space do you lose..? 

The room is 6x5, itll just be whatever the stock spec is i just wondered if it added much cost

2 hours ago, Amateur bob said:

does anyone know roughly how much that semi vaulted living room will add to the cost over just a standard room?

We have a semi vaulted living room. Three large velux windows and oak staircase/balustrade add to the cost. The basic structural costs were included in the stick build cost I mentioned in an earlier thread.

20200910_182932.thumb.jpg.50b9ae8ba13817006cbaca281a45b6c2.jpg

20200910_153123.thumb.jpg.43ab696bdaaead3561408042024c4a3a.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

We have a semi vaulted living room. Three large velux windows and oak staircase/balustrade add to the cost. The basic structural costs were included in the stick build cost I mentioned in an earlier thread.

20200910_182932.thumb.jpg.50b9ae8ba13817006cbaca281a45b6c2.jpg

20200910_153123.thumb.jpg.43ab696bdaaead3561408042024c4a3a.jpg

Interesting, whats the difference between vaulted and semi vaulted?

21 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

Maybe somebody will correct me, but I thought our space was semi valuted because the roof pitch cuts into the space. 

I am not sure there is one?

Vaulted to me, means the ceiling follows the line of the roof (so no loft space)

I guess our bedroom might be described as semi vaulted as it follows the line of the roof a long way up and then is cut off flat just to give us a small loft space?

What is your current situation please @Amateur bob, I'm feeling we're not getting the whole story. The more you elaborate the more folk will be able to help. 

Can you cut and paste the planners verdict on the previous application?

Where are you? an exact location isn't necessary but the more accurate the more likely someone will know the planning policy. 

Do you have an exact budget you can spend? We simply went to the bank and asked them the maximum a couple with our income could borrow and worked backwards from there. It was about 3.5 times income in Ireland so we used that figure -€75k for fees and furnishings. That was the amount including contingency we could give the builder. It worked well. 

Do you own the site? Do you have any photos? Have you any construction skills you wish to use?

What is your timeframe? 

Have you committed to scotframe for some reason?

Can you describe the neighbours houses?

13 hours ago, Iceverge said:

What is your current situation please @Amateur bob, I'm feeling we're not getting the whole story. The more you elaborate the more folk will be able to help. 

Can you cut and paste the planners verdict on the previous application?

Where are you? an exact location isn't necessary but the more accurate the more likely someone will know the planning policy. 

Do you have an exact budget you can spend? We simply went to the bank and asked them the maximum a couple with our income could borrow and worked backwards from there. It was about 3.5 times income in Ireland so we used that figure -€75k for fees and furnishings. That was the amount including contingency we could give the builder. It worked well. 

Do you own the site? Do you have any photos? Have you any construction skills you wish to use?

What is your timeframe? 

Have you committed to scotframe for some reason?

Can you describe the neighbours houses?

Im central scotland ive had 2 previous failed applications yes i own the site as its on a farm, i have justification for the house they werent happy with previous size and design so ive changed it, id like to keep the costs down so looking to choose an off the shelf design and save on architects fees etc, no ive looked at other companies apart from scotframe but the room layouts on this one looked good value

4 hours ago, Iceverge said:

Hi @Amateur bob

This design isn't the best value.  On a cost per m2 basis I would put it at a 6/10 on the value scale.

Did you get around to any of the other questions? To give a proper answer the info is still too sparse. 

could you explain why its not great value given the frame will come pre manufactured?

the budget prob 250-300k, no specific timeframe although sooner the better, the neighbouring houses arent close by with it being in the coutryside though theres plenty of 2 storeys in the area and big farm houses, yes i own the site i have no skills but could clear topsoil with farm machinery/unload supplies etc

You do know that Scotframe design you something to your requirements and budget don’t you? They do your planning drawings for you.

You can continue throwing endless applications at this site, but you need some professional skills to help you get planning. If you are concerned about wasting money, this is the wrong way to go about it. You can’t just pick a catalogue house and try again and again… well, you can, but I’d recommend actually asking a professional about it first.

sounds like it’s in the open countryside btw, I’m guessing you will struggle whatever house you pick.

6 hours ago, Amateur bob said:

could you explain why its not great value given the frame will come pre manufactured?

Too many junctions and corners. Count the number of surfaces in a house. Each one will add ££. A simple rectangular footprint with a monopitch will have 6 sides, change to an apex roof and you have 7.  Our hipped roof farmhouse has 9.  I can't see the whole house you've proposed, How many does it have? 

Remember the timber frame cost doesn't reflect the extra cost of these. They just charge you for the sticks they nail together. Every valley and hip in the roof needs sealing, cutting tiles etc. All roof surfaces need their own guttering and downpipes.  If you want inspiration for the cheapest easiest houses to build look at the farm buildings about you. 

Alternatively get some cardboard and sticky tape and try to make some of the designs you've posted. Time yourself and measure the amount of waste material for this these two. 

Achachork

Saltire Awards - Scottish Housing Prize - e-architect

11 hours ago, Amateur bob said:

Im central scotland ive had 2 previous failed applications

Unless you provide more detail I'm afraid we're just throwing darts in the dark, no need to post anything that would identify you, but having no idea what you submitted or why it was refused I'm at a loss.  

If you would prefer not to do so a good professional is your other option.

the biggest thing that frustrates me about these 'off-the-shelf' products and also mass built houses is the fact that the 2nd and 3rd bedrooms are always different sizes! it's like I'd have to decide which kid I loved more and give them the biggest room.

the beauty of designing your own house, whatever route you'd choose to do that, is you have the flexibility to do what *you* want. one of the first things we said to our architect was we wanted the kids bedrooms to be the same size. why should one child lose out to the other one! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CharlieKLP said:

You do know that Scotframe design you something to your requirements and budget don’t you? They do your planning drawings for you.

You can continue throwing endless applications at this site, but you need some professional skills to help you get planning. If you are concerned about wasting money, this is the wrong way to go about it. You can’t just pick a catalogue house and try again and again… well, you can, but I’d recommend actually asking a professional about it first.

sounds like it’s in the open countryside btw, I’m guessing you will struggle whatever house you pick.

Yes but charge for all that i have a friend in the industry doing the application etc, theres plenty designs to pick from on these websites prob better than i could think up the idea i had in mind a big box shaped 2 storey wasnt liked by the planner, too much visual impact from the main road whats your thoughts on this design ive picked?

13 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

the biggest thing that frustrates me about these 'off-the-shelf' products and also mass built houses is the fact that the 2nd and 3rd bedrooms are always different sizes! it's like I'd have to decide which kid I loved more and give them the biggest room.

the beauty of designing your own house, whatever route you'd choose to do that, is you have the flexibility to do what *you* want. one of the first things we said to our architect was we wanted the kids bedrooms to be the same size. why should one child lose out to the other one! 

Yes i see what you mean, whats your thoughts on the design ive picked though in terms of cost efficiency and looks?