Timber prices

Adsibob

Getting a quote for some work and joiner has said that I should decide whether I want to go ahead soon because already birch is starting to go up in price due to the Russian - Ukraine war. Apparently a lot of timber comes from Russia and so prices are going up.

Anybody else experiencing this, or could this just be a sales tactic?

Not experienced this yet but I think it is fair warning. Some timber is definitely from Russia so supply will be reduced. Also, few joiners tend to use sales tactics or need more work!

I was looking at porcelain tiles last week, retailer told me that most of the clay for Italian factories comes from Ukraine. Thought it was BS but looked it up and there is at least some truth in it. We finally chose the tiles we want (160m2) only to find the factory have stopped making them 😬

13 hours ago, Adsibob said:

Getting a quote for some work and joiner has said that I should decide whether I want to go ahead soon because already birch is starting to go up in price due to the Russian - Ukraine war. Apparently a lot of timber comes from Russia and so prices are going up.

Anybody else experiencing this, or could this just be a sales tactic?

No surprise there. Yes, huge amounts of Birch ply supplied by Russia, but tbh supplies of certain grades of plywood has been difficult and eye wateringly expensive for the last couple of years. Speaking to one of my plywood suppliers a couple of months ago they said that they're were seeing a lot of their buyers who make high-end bespoke kitchens switch from ply to mdf. In December I bought the plywood for my kitchen at about £84 per sheet all in. It's now listed on the supplier's website at £120 per sheet. MDF is less than £50.

In reality I do think there is some profiteering going on within the distribution chain as prices tend to rise ahead of the real world shortage, just like oil has done.

Edited by SimonD

Russia imposed export tariffs kicked in the year and is now talking of banning exports. 

https://www.timber-online.net/content/holz/holzkurier/en/log_wood/2021/05/russia-confirms-ban-on-log-exports-starting-in-2022.html

https://tass.com/economy/1419909

I'd expect this to feed through into another year of wood bring chuffing expensive.

Fast growth pine etc probably not in sorry supply but slow growth Siberian timber probably will be.

30 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

How much do you spend on toilet paper then

Three sheets per sit down visit.

And they are to just wipe my fingers with.

Did you learn nothing in the Forces.

May start using The Packet. Or if I fancy a nostalgia trip, the Domino's Pizza flyer.