Passive House, storms and power cuts

14 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

If it was just for the MVHR, I would be tempted to buy a cheap inverter that runs of a leisure battery, which is on a trickle charger.

But that is probably £200 quid in reality.

That needs a charger, wiring, etc. £269 is a lot less hassle IMHO. 

5 minutes ago, Russdl said:

@PeterW too many numbers in that. I can’t work out how long it would run the MVHR for in the event of a power cut.  

Also, what is ‘proper EIC cabling’?

He meant IEC cabling. It’s the 3 pin kettle plugs that you might have for your computer equipment or hifi type equipment etc 

There are three models 360W, 600W, and 1200W

• Thanks 1

Well, the numbers don’t quite add up (it says it will run the MVHR for 7hrs at 15W output) but perhaps it’s still calibrating?

F685AE88-E4FA-43E6-B2B8-01160516829F.thumb.jpeg.45d0a4808e9e9200ef6005e67f2f79f5.jpeg

Regardless, I think it’s exactly what the Dr ordered. Very happy with the solution to our power cut problem. 

• Like 1

On 12/02/2023 at 21:27, Nick Thomas said:

Just as an aside, it's weird to call them passive houses when they require active ventilation. I'm sure it's not a novel observation.

I mean, to be liveable they require active lighting, active cooking, active fire detectors and active security if you're into that.

The "passive" is just with respect to satisfying the heating demand, and the MVHR is not technically required for that: turn off the MVHR and the passive house aspects will actually perform better.