Which log burner

I seem to remember someone on here saying HWAM stoves were their stove of choice just wondering why? What do you look for in a stove? 
we had in our last house a Nestor Martin inset stove and it was useless, didn’t throw any heat out, we replaced it with a cheap stove from grey metal and it was a great stove so what should I be looking at?

Agree that stove design should fit the style of the interior, finding a quality make that has the appeal you want should not be hard. I have had a clearview for 10 years without fault and will be fitting another soon. Endless research and critiquing of reviews is how I buy expensive stuff….. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, recoveringbuilder said:

a room with cathedral ceiling and open up to mezzanine floor above and also open into hallway so we’re not expecting it to overheat as there’s plenty places for the heat to disperse to 

A typical 1600 sq ft house built to scrape a pass mark for thermal building regs will loose heat at a rate of 6kW at a 20 degree delta. Once your room, mezzanine and hallway have warmed up where will the stove heat go?

But to answer your question the Clearview Vision 500 with the mid height bungalow hat makes a statement in a large fireplace with a not ridiculous max output of 8kW.

https://www.clearviewstoves.com/clearview-brochure/#16-17

• Like 1

We've got a Hwam.  I've nothing to compare it to in terms of keeping the glass clean, but I like the contemporary style, and it's room-sealed.  We only usually light it in the evenings when outside temps are <10c, but it goes for a week or two without any messing about emptying the ash box.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

A typical 1600 sq ft house built to scrape a pass mark for thermal building regs will loose heat at a rate of 6kW at a 20 degree delta. Once your room, mezzanine and hallway have warmed up where will the stove heat go?

But to answer your question the Clearview Vision 500 with the mid height bungalow hat makes a statement in a large fireplace with a not ridiculous max output of 8kW.

https://www.clearviewstoves.com/clearview-brochure/#16-17

No problem with where else the heat can go we can leave the bedroom doors open upstairs and downstairs if need be, the more it heats the better! 
House is 268m2 and the stove will be in the middle of the house replacing the **** pellet stove, we’re changing to an oil boiler after 3 years of hell but it would be good to have something supplementing the oil 

33 minutes ago, recoveringbuilder said:

I seem to remember someone on here saying HWAM stoves were their stove of choice just wondering why? What do you look for in a stove? 
we had in our last house a Nestor Martin inset stove and it was useless, didn’t throw any heat out, we replaced it with a cheap stove from grey metal and it was a great stove so what should I be looking at?

That’s funny, the only two stoves I have experience of are Nestor Martins, both have been fantastic: the one at my dad’s place is 12 years old. I think it was the Nestor Martin Harmony range. Because it’s made of cast iron (I think) it takes about 45 to 60 minutes to get warm, but then stays hot for long after it’s been turned off. There are lighter stoves (I think made of steel) that warm up and cool down quicker. 
we’ve gone for a Dik Guerra Bora this time, though not delivered  yet.

• Like 1

My advice is buy one with ducted air intake so it makes it a room sealed stove with no need for a vent to let cold air into the room. And make sure that duct supplies both primary and secondary air (not all do) and if the house is well insulated you won't want a big stove.

Armed with that specification we spent a day visiting all the stove shops within the locality. We saw a huge range of stoves, some with what looked like "numbers out of a hat" price tags with no particular reason why that one was 2 or 3 times the price of another one.  We ended up with a Mendip Stoves Churchill 5kW because it looked nice a blend between traditional and modern, and it was at a sensible price being sold as ex display, so it was there to take home the same day.  We have been very happy with it.

• Like 2