Is corrigated flexible toilet waste pipe ok?

Porthole

Hi 

Be grateful if you could tell me whether or not a flexible toilet waste pipe is ok to use? The builders have put one in as the hole in the wall is not aligned to the centre of where the loo will be. I just wondered if the inside of the pipe is also corrigated and if this will be quite hard to clean or even smell if toilet waste is caught up in the grooves? Sorry it sounds disgusting but I need to know before they cover it all up!

Many thanks!!

PXL_20220107_213627585.jpg

You should be fine, its right up against the bowl so easy to clear if it does block but also these are designed to go in these situations - it looks like your incoming pipe does not line up with the frame center so unless you get a multiangle join, which have their own problems or create a offset joiner in solvent weld a flexi pipe is all you have really.

1 hour ago, Porthole said:

Hi 

Be grateful if you could tell me whether or not a flexible toilet waste pipe is ok to use?...

Yes.

Provided that it is installed within the guidelines provided by the manufacturer. I had the exact same problem, and it has been solved in the exact same way. Installed by a reputable plumber with me in the room at the same time. 

I've thrown the guidelines away, so I can't be sure to remember the details - but I do remember one thing we have to avoid using a rotary rodding system.

So, once a week, a drop of dilute bleach, loo seat cover always down, objects that could by accident easily fall in,  stored elsewhere. 

Edited by ToughButterCup

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I would say no in that case.  Does the frame not come with a pipe fitted in the exact correct place?  most seem to.

Plus 1

Use the bend that came with the frame 

1 hour ago, nod said:

Use the bend that came with the frame 

Not sure they can. Looks like the holes don't line up so would need a carefully constructed solvent weld assembly to achieve same shape and not sure if connection in wall is accessible. 

Thank you all - much appreciated. Seems a bit wierd putting this in, but looks like it is workable and no other options. Does anyone know if it is corrugated inside or a smooth finish? (Just makes me feel better from hygiene point of view if smooth!) 

I've been fitting bathrooms for over 25 years, and have used the flexible soil > pan connectors many many times without ever having a single recorded issue. The velocity of the flush is more than ample to see the bi-products of lunch exiting at enough pace to be washed away / over the riffles of the internal corrugations, and as there is a water trap in the bottom of the pan, there specifically to isolate the stench in the soil pipe, hygiene or smell etc will never be a concern. 

I've removed WC's where these types of connectors have been installed, and whilst there is 'evidence' of what has been travelling through them over the years, I have never ever seen one that has made me think the aforementioned'items' have been hanging around.

The supplied pan connector that these guys have abandoned would typically leave a fixed socket for the pan to push back on to. As there is now a flexi in its place you ( they ) will have to pull the flexi out to install it onto the pan, immediately before pushing the pan back onto the bolts and fixed flush water pipe socket. That is the only annoyance when doing this, and you ( they ) need to 100% sure the flexi is firmly pushed onto the WC outlet. I do not use any silicone lubricant when doing it this way so the rubber grips very well. A bit of soapy water helps if it's a struggle, and washed away to leave the rubber friction fix as good as is possible. Express to the fitters tat you wish to know the flexi pan connector has not been installed with such lubricant, as that will stay slippery for a very long time and can proote the connector coming off over time / many flushes.    

• Thanks 1

Hi Nick

Thank you for your reply - that is reassuring and helpful. 

With your bathroom experience, can I please also another question regarding tiling? Our builder has used hardwall on the solid brick walls of our house. In the bathroom, he has put moisture board around some parts of the room but the rest is just hardwalled with no plaster skim on top. Our tiler said that he could not tile on the hardwall, and it needs to be either skimmed or plaster boarded. Our tiles are quite heavy 19.4kg per sq metre so we thought that plasterboard would be better. The problems is space is becoming an issue as the builder did not anticipate this. The builder has suggested that a primer is used on top of the hardwall then it would be fine to tile onto this.

I'm not keen on just plaster skim as our tiles are rather heavy. My preference would be for some kind of boards - plaster board or tile backer boards screwed into the bricks with stainless steel screws. If the builder just won't do this,  or there just isn't room now, then would the primer on top of the hardwall be ok and strong enough to hold porcelain tiles?

Many thanks!

Kind regards

Sui

6 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

I've been fitting bathrooms for over 25 years, and have used the flexible soil > pan connectors many many times without ever having a single recorded issue. The velocity of the flush is more than ample to see the bi-products of lunch exiting at enough pace to be washed away / over the riffles of the internal corrugations, and as there is a water trap in the bottom of the pan, there specifically to isolate the stench in the soil pipe, hygiene or smell etc will never be a concern. 

I've removed WC's where these types of connectors have been installed, and whilst there is 'evidence' of what has been travelling through them over the years, I have never ever seen one that has made me think the aforementioned'items' have been hanging around.

The supplied pan connector that these guys have abandoned would typically leave a fixed socket for the pan to push back on to. As there is now a flexi in its place you ( they ) will have to pull the flexi out to install it onto the pan, immediately before pushing the pan back onto the bolts and fixed flush water pipe socket. That is the only annoyance when doing this, and you ( they ) need to 100% sure the flexi is firmly pushed onto the WC outlet. I do not use any silicone lubricant when doing it this way so the rubber grips very well. A bit of soapy water helps if it's a struggle, and washed away to leave the rubber friction fix as good as is possible. Express to the fitters tat you wish to know the flexi pan connector has not been installed with such lubricant, as that will stay slippery for a very long time and can proote the connector coming off over time / many flushes.    

On 08/01/2022 at 10:01, Porthole said:

Hi 

Be grateful if you could tell me whether or not a flexible toilet waste pipe is ok to use? The builders have put one in as the hole in the wall is not aligned to the centre of where the loo will be. I just wondered if the inside of the pipe is also corrigated and if this will be quite hard to clean or even smell if toilet waste is caught up in the grooves? Sorry it sounds disgusting but I need to know before they cover it all up!

Many thanks!!

More or less every toilet in the land is connected with a piece of this - they are sold as flexible pan connectors, ideally it would have been dead straight but these flexible pipes are to allow flexible fitting like this, even in a bang on install I would expect a piece of flexi to go from the soil pipe to the pan. 

When I took our old toilet pipe out the flexi was remarkably clean, what you think of as solid doesn't' remain solid for long... 

Edited by Carrerahill