Feature wall of pain

Pocster

SWMBO wanted this and I've considered the amount of pain ; financial and time wise. Needless to say I lost the battle!

The wall in question is approx 7m high and 4m wide.

I have to bridge different wall 'levels' i.e. not level.

As you can see below ground ( stud against walled waterproof membrane ) I'm ok. As I get higher the upper house timber frame gets further away from me!!

I can bridge to it - but I'm worried that's a lot of weight hanging off timber -> timber -> timber ( the frame! ).

I *could* put a horrible ledge step in it just to get over the issue - but that will just collect dust and probably ( once the staircase is in ) be unreachable.

Should i worry about the weight?. Gone for 12.5mm tile backboard to support the beast.

(expletive deleted) @Onoff and his bits of flints glued in a box - this is where it's at ! ?

IMG_5193.jpg

IMG_5194.jpg

I would just put a 4x2 framework over the top of all of that and where possible screw it to the existing framework plus the wall using frame cramps to allow you to plumb it perfectly. 

Then glue and screw the boards to the framework, and then tile it. That won’t go anywhere and will give you the chance to run any other additional services before you board out and it will cover up a multitude of sins…

39 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I would just put a 4x2 framework over the top of all of that and where possible screw it to the existing framework plus the wall using frame cramps to allow you to plumb it perfectly. 

Then glue and screw the boards to the framework, and then tile it. That won’t go anywhere and will give you the chance to run any other additional services before you board out and it will cover up a multitude of sins…

Frame cramps? - allow ME to do it perfectly??

No additional services to cover up - but a multitude of sins for sure.

I'm still worried about a lumpy frame effectively 'hanging' off the timber frame. The more I think the more I worry. The upper part (timber frame of the build ) I could just screw the tile backer board straight too (with a few extra noggins) nice and easy.

Still tempted by a lip/ledge to avoid 2 ton's of material falling and killing SWMBO....wait a minute......

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, PeterW said:

frame cramps

Are you suggesting the timber frame higher up is effectively hanging off L shaped frame cramps?. So the tile backer frame is sat with a gap ( because of the cramps) in front the other frame ???

1 hour ago, pocster said:

I *could* put a horrible ledge step in it just to get over the issue - but that will just collect dust and probably ( once the staircase is in ) be unreachable.

Just tell Swmbo that it is an unusually big dedo wall as seen in heritage houses.

Just now, epsilonGreedy said:

Just tell Swmbo that it is an unusually big dedo wall as seen in heritage houses.

SWMBO isn't actually worried about a ledge . It's me . I think I can live with a ledge and everything fitted far tighter and better ( using less materials ). Talked myself into it.

Just now, pocster said:

SWMBO isn't actually worried about a ledge . It's me . I think I can live with a ledge and everything fitted far tighter and better ( using less materials ). Talked myself into it.

Hang on I could stick tacky led lights in there for added cheapness effect!

3 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

I'd just put a sheet of perspex in front of it  - feature enough.

Bit like those exposed sections of roman wall / mosaic that you see.

Quite like that idea but I'd use something a little more durable than Perspex. Pity you can't get some walk on glazing and use that.

• Thanks 1

I think I know what I will do / attempt.

Top part ( timber frame ) 3x2 running horizontal 30cm apart. Then the backer board can attach direct to those ( backer is 120cm x 60cm ); so just noggins at the ends.

Lower part just do whatever I want and then just 'ledge' to upper part to suit. 

Just now, pocster said:

I do like. But may be slightly beyond my capability!!!

Think they come on a printed canvas, surely you can hang wall paper?

Or go high-tech and buy one of those new floor mounted narrow angle video projectors, you will have the largest home entertainment screen within 100 miles.

1 minute ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Think they come on a printed canvas, surely you can hang wall paper?

Or go high-tech and buy one of those new floor mounted narrow angle video projectors, you will have the largest home entertainment screen within 100 miles.

Must admit a short throw floor based projector does interest me. Imagine the fun during 'those' parties!

You need to look at a product called LITE STONE. I’m using some outside for exactly the same reason, not happy with 100kg hanging of some wood screws. 

Pits basically a stone smashed up and mixed with resin then layer out in a sheet about 2mm thick, you stick it using a contact adhesive onto cement board or plywood depending if you want it waterproof or not. 

I was very surprised how realistic it is. And I normally hate most things I see. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

You need to look at a product called LITE STONE. I’m using some outside for exactly the same reason, not happy with 100kg hanging of some wood screws. 

Pits basically a stone smashed up and mixed with resin then layer out in a sheet about 2mm thick, you stick it using a contact adhesive onto cement board or plywood depending if you want it waterproof or not. 

I was very surprised how realistic it is. And I normally hate most things I see. 

Yes. This is the exactly the type of thing we are having. 10 -> 15mm thick though so similar to a normal wall tile; I believe

• 3 weeks later...

On 05/01/2022 at 17:21, Russell griffiths said:

What one did you go with? Also looking at that for back wall of a wine room - should look great backlit. Also thinking about it for outside but apparently have to coat it and periodically re-coat it so not sure can be bothered (+ issues re accessibility )to do that vs tiling and leaving it alone

2 minutes ago, Adam2 said:

What one did you go with? Also looking at that for back wall of a wine room - should look great backlit. Also thinking about it for outside but apparently have to coat it and periodically re-coat it so not sure can be bothered (+ issues re accessibility )to do that vs tiling and leaving it alone

Still trying to get some samples sent out. Second time they have supposed to have posted them.