looking for mature trees and stuff!

I'm looking to finish the landscaping (or maybe start it:|)...

Magnolia, silver birch, some fruit trees and hedging (red robin)

Anyone used online suppliers?

Magnolia and silver birch needs to be around 3m, 50+meters of red robin hedging.

Any recommendations appreciated:)

Thanks

David.

hedgesdirect.co.uk supplied ours, 2-year old bare-root Wild Privet which I planted out about 3 months ago with a bit of bone-meal and compost mix to get it started. So far, they have all taken and not a single one has failed. Great price, too.

3 minutes ago, ragg987 said:

hedgesdirect.co.uk supplied ours, 2-year old bare-root Wild Privet which I planted out about 3 months ago with a bit of bone-meal and compost mix to get it started. So far, they have all taken and not a single one has failed. Great price, too.

We put a powder of some sort in first I seem to recall.

1 hour ago, DH202020 said:

I'm looking to finish the landscaping (or maybe start it:|)...

Magnolia, silver birch, some fruit trees and hedging (red robin)

Anyone used online suppliers?

Magnolia and silver birch needs to be around 3m, 50+meters of red robin hedging.

Any recommendations appreciated:)

Thanks

David.

You have missed the planting season this year, could you wait until October ? If not it will cost you considerable more as you will most likely have to go container grown. You will also have to look after them very carefully throughout the summer. 

Whereabouts in the country are you. 

Buy hedging online - bare root is past it's planting time but the others can be pot grown. It will survive if watered well. 

Does it have to be red robin (photinia) as the hedging as 50m is going to be 200+ plants and pretty expensive...? Lots of other options that would give a nice mix. 

Fruit trees you've got til May in reality to get them in - consider ones on decent grafted root stock for apples, pot grown 3-4 year stuff should be less than £20 per tree. 

Bigger trees - magnolia I wouldn't want to move or plant until autumn now and they need pruning when they have been planted. 

Silver birch ...?? Betula jaquemontii Grayswood Ghost is stunning - try and get a multi stem that will form a clump. A 15 litre pot would be north of £100 but worth every penny. 

10 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Buy hedging online - bare root is past it's planting time but the others can be pot grown. It will survive if watered well. 

Does it have to be red robin (photinia) as the hedging as 50m is going to be 200+ plants and pretty expensive...? Lots of other options that would give a nice mix. 

Fruit trees you've got til May in reality to get them in - consider ones on decent grafted root stock for apples, pot grown 3-4 year stuff should be less than £20 per tree. 

Bigger trees - magnolia I wouldn't want to move or plant until autumn now and they need pruning when they have been planted. 

Silver birch ...?? Betula jaquemontii Grayswood Ghost is stunning - try and get a multi stem that will form a clump. A 15 litre pot would be north of £100 but worth every penny. 

Thank you to everyone who has commented so far, I will check out the websites provided.

I live in Kent and would like to get the house signed off as it is now finished, therefore I think I will need all the landscaping completed so the VAT (trees/plants) can be included....??

All the plants mentioned are on the plans, so I guess it's not best to vary the types!

....ok, do I stand any chance of survival with the trees and hedging if I plant within the next few weeks:|?

Or is it a definite No! No?

If you do do it they will need a lot of care this summer.

For watering that hedge perhaps consider a Leaky Hose. If we get a ban you will not be needing your gym membership with all those buckets :-).

If you are in Kent can you get a non-metered water supply? Pond or Sand point well, depending on your soil / water table? Or hose with a big interim tank?

Personally I would wonder whether the Council would,be sticklers for the full fake-Latin name. Perhaps ask if you can change, or JDI?

BAsed on other threads these could be on your VAT reclaim.

8 hours ago, DH202020 said:

Thank you to everyone who has commented so far, I will check out the websites provided.

I live in Kent and would like to get the house signed off as it is now finished, therefore I think I will need all the landscaping completed so the VAT (trees/plants) can be included....??

All the plants mentioned are on the plans, so I guess it's not best to vary the types!

....ok, do I stand any chance of survival with the trees and hedging if I plant within the next few weeks:|?

Or is it a definite No! No?

Are they on your PP landscape scheme as otherwise they aren't VAT reclaimable anyway.

Does it mention common names or Latin names...?

Just be careful where you put the silver birch. They grow very quick and very high. Had to take the top out of one of mine last year and need to do the same with another that shades the solar this year.

It has doubled in height in 6 years

Off topic but silver birch is great for teaching the kids how to light fires. The wispy bark bits that curl up and peel off will light in any weather. Get those sharpened sticks and marshmallows out! :)

10 minutes ago, dogman said:

Just be careful where you put the silver birch. They grow very quick and very high. Had to take the top out of one of mine last year and need to do the same with another that shades the solar this year.

Depends on the birch.  There are around 200 "Silver Birch", some are slow growing and clump forming, others can form very tall and narrow columns and others form a pinnacle. They are also reasonably shallow rooting so planting on sandy soils needs careful management as they can be blown over easily. 

Over the last three years i have planted about 3000 + trees in my garden, they were bare root stock, and only 12-18 inches tall, last year there were some reaching over six foot but most about 4 foot, i live in a very exposed coastal area and it takes longer for them to get used to the conditions but once established they will really get going. As previously said its better to plant next Autumn. Small young trees planted in well prepared ground with good weed control  will establish quickly and its a joy to see them grow.  Cant help on supplier as my trees came via a personal contact "in the trade" at a very discounted rate.....    

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

Are they on your PP landscape scheme as otherwise they aren't VAT reclaimable anyway.

Does it mention common names or Latin names...?

Yes, all part of the conservation requirement. They were quite specific as to hard and soft landscaping, hedging etc..

29 minutes ago, DH202020 said:

Yes, all part of the conservation requirement. They were quite specific as to hard and soft landscaping, hedging etc..

If a Condition, that sounds eminently appealable - not that it is relevant; sparrows nest in several kinds of bush etc.

More fun than a Wordsearch or Jackie Collins on holiday.

Edited by Ferdinand

2 minutes ago, DH202020 said:

So a conservation officer specified non-native plants ......??? O.o

Have you got a list you can send over..??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dogman said:

Thanks dogman

Looking at the 3 Silver Birch Jacquemontii, will be farthest from the house, around 15m away, midsummer the sun will set to the right of it, we have a south/south west corner plot.

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

So a conservation officer specified non-native plants ......??? O.o

Have you got a list you can send over..??

Letter of conformation from planning...It goes like this:

> flemish bond dwarf wall; 1500mm Photinia Red Robin Hedging
> Magnolia tree (semi mature to south east corner)
> flemish bond dwarf wall;1500mm Photinia Red Robin Hedging
> oak gate and post to pedestrian and vehicular access points
> Flaxmans Court (west)
> 1500mm Photinia Red Robin Hedging (behind existing chanlink fencing)
> oak gate and post to pedestrian and vehicular access point
> 2 semi mature fruit trees to raised planter adjacent to rear patio
> semi mature Silver birch tree to south west corner of site

That's about it...although my architect was a little more detailed (cant find at mo)

So that "Silver Birch" is a bit of an unusual reference as they normally go with latin - a true Silver Birch (Betula Pendula vars.) and a Himalayan Birch (Betula Utilis vars.) are easily mistaken, and the White or Common Birch (Betula pubescens vars.) can cross with both so you could end up with anything really. I doubt  a council planning officer could tell the difference really as they all look pretty similar. Semi-mature is another unusual statement - birch is mature from 20-45 years so if you said 10 years old it would be 7-9m tall and probably need machinery to move it - and cost you £5-600 most likely.

I would query the 1500mm photinia - is that the mature height or the planted height..??