SolarEdge + StorEdge + LG RESU - anyone done it?

joth

4 hours ago, Fly100 said:

Solar Edge Battery Review

Have discussed this with my installer, some of the issues he has here are do to not follow Solar Edge directions.

Thanks for the link. To clarify you are saying he had issues because he did NOT follow Solar Edge directions, or that you need to not follow their directions in order to avoid issues?

Either way, glad we have the whole day booked in for my install. My system is incredibly simple (panels, optimisers, inverter; no energy monitor or anything, and battery right next to the inverter right next to the meter) so hopefully this means a nice clean sheet to do a by-the-book installation, but... we'll see...

28 minutes ago, joth said:

Thanks for the link. To clarify you are saying he had issues because he did NOT follow Solar Edge directions, or that you need to not follow their directions in order to avoid issues?

Either way, glad we have the whole day booked in for my install. My system is incredibly simple (panels, optimisers, inverter; no energy monitor or anything, and battery right next to the inverter right next to the meter) so hopefully this means a nice clean sheet to do a by-the-book installation, but... we'll see...

I sent it to my installer, shielded Cat 5 needs to be used and the RS484 wiring is also incorrect.

8 hours ago, joth said:

I must say I had none of the problems this person is experiencing. If you have any specific issues feel free to tag me, if I know the answer I will try and provide it to you. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Going in now! They forgot to bring the modbus Energy monitor so they'll need to call in tomorrow to complete commissioning but so far so good. Hung up on the ply-faced stud wall in a jiffy with zero problems 

30 minutes ago, joth said:

Going in now! They forgot to bring the modbus Energy monitor so they'll need to call in tomorrow to complete commissioning but so far so good. Hung up on the ply-faced stud wall in a jiffy with zero problems 

Be interested to hear a bit more about this if you dont mind.

Lots of activity on this thread lately with a few contributors adding StorEdge batteries to their SolarEge inverters.

Has anyone gone down the other two routes that are available:

1. Getting an LG Chem Resu Prime battery... These are a lot smaller and lighter. (Also a bit cheaper)

2. Going for a cheaper AC-coupled solution.

46 minutes ago, Benguela said:

2. Going for a cheaper AC-coupled solution.

I was trying to find a way to keep the power on during a power cut. It seems this isn't possible with a SolarEdge Energy Bank right now in the UK. I'm currently investigating whether a smaller AC coupled system connected by my meter with the ability to separate the house off into an "island" will let the two systems work together in unison. 

16 minutes ago, bertybuttface said:

I was trying to find a way to keep the power on during a power cut. It seems this isn't possible with a SolarEdge Energy Bank right now in the UK. I'm currently investigating whether a smaller AC coupled system connected by my meter with the ability to separate the house off into an "island" will let the two systems work together in unison. 

How often do you get power cuts? We've not had one since we moved in 4 years ago, so I really don't care about this use case. If they do add support for it later I'm happy to wait. 

For someone in a rural location very different calculus I'm sure.

2 hours ago, joth said:

How often do you get power cuts? We've not had one since we moved in 4 years ago, so I really don't care about this use case. If they do add support for it later I'm happy to wait. 

For someone in a rural location very different calculus I'm sure.

Unfortunately a couple of times a year, they are normally either almost instant or take an hour or so to turn back on. Never had anything longer.

That said I have devices that must stay on that a UPS isn't manly enough to power. I currently keep a pair of Jackery 1000s for this but I'd like to have something more substantial and that doesn't rely on me remembering to charge it. 

Install is fine, only snag is I'm not seeing the battery in the mySolarEdge app. We think I should be, but instead it just showing PV production zeroed out. (the sun is out so definitely not zero right now).

Any ideas what I should see here?

Screenshot_20220902-141215.png

23 minutes ago, joth said:

Install is fine, only snag is I'm not seeing the battery in the mySolarEdge app.

mySolarEdge is the consumer facing app, make sure your installer leaves you with access to "SetApp" and "SolarEdge" apps.

Here are some screenshots from both apps in case it helps. 

What do you have fitted so far? Battery, inverter and meter?

IMG_5FF18DA49C9D-1.jpeg

IMG_84527762542B-1.jpeg

Fab! Yes the "Solar Edge" app is now working per your screenshot @bertybuttface but the mySolarEdge isn't quite. It now shows the battery, greyed out, and without a charge level or the arrow going in / out of it. Nevermind, hopefully it will pop up in the morning. (Or I can just switch to the other app).

> What do you have fitted so far? Battery, inverter and meter?

Yes, SE8000H inverter, Energy bank battery, and as of today the modbus EnergyNet meter.

I've got admin access to my site on the portal, so I went in and setup a "Charge from AC overnight from Octopus Go" storage profile (per instructions) and assigned to our site, so hopefully in the morning I'll wake up to a battery full of energy 🙂

[[Interestingly, I now seem to have full admin access to my entire installer's company account, so can view all the other sites, and even edit the permissions of all the other employees. I think this must be a bug on the solaredge portal not enforcing the site-restricted admin settings as I couldn't see this before. So if everyone sees weird and unrequested changes to your accounts around now, it maybe similar power-users able to edit each other's sites problem. God don't you just love cloud-managed IoS]]

Edited by joth

6 hours ago, joth said:

@pocster  in your other thread I see the SE app should indeed show the battery independent of the PV production.

How did you do it? Did it take some time or action to get the app to do this?

Yes the SE app can faff 

Sometimes my battery is apparently “ not connected “ , or greyed out ; or there is no option to even look at the battery in the app .

Me thinks SE feck about with cloud based shite a bit too often 

On 27/08/2022 at 20:55, joth said:

Just confirmed my Energy Store for installation next Friday so hopefully this will work out in time for Octopus Go load shifting onto overnight 7.5p rate. 

How  implicated was shifting to octopus go? I emailed them early last week and not heard anything back yet 

1 hour ago, Trw144 said:

How  implicated was shifting to octopus go? I emailed them early last week and not heard anything back yet 

Been with them a year already, I was on the fence about renewing the year contract this month, vs move to a standard fixed rate that allows use of Octopus Agile Outgoing, but having the battery makes staying on Go a no-brainer 

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

I am hearing quite a lot about difficulties with people who have installed Solaredge.

Are they there yet as a reliable supplier, who's product does what it claims?

( I already have Solaredge optimisers and rectifiers in my existing system.)

Maybe I got lucky but yes for me it has been easy to fit (DIY) and easy to use.

Do I enjoy messing with Modbus - a protocol from the 1970s? Hell no. Does it work? Yeah, does exactly what I want it to. I have full local stats access. If you don't need that then you don't even need to mess with Modbus.

Edited by bertybuttface
  • Like 1