SolarEdge + StorEdge + LG RESU - anyone done it?

joth

Background: I have a SolarEdge SE8000H HDWave inverter with 8.1kWp solar array (inc mico-optimizers) all G99 signed off and commissioned for 1 year. 2 strings on the inverter used, one spare.

I just spotted this:

https://www.eibabo.uk/lgenergysolut.europe/special-solar-battery-48v-9-8kwh-resu10-eb15114885

£3,726.58+VAT for 10kWh seems approaching good value. It's one of the few brands supported by SolarEdge for 

I've only done very cursory research before thinking about contacting an electrician or installer for a quote. Details are hard to find on their kit, what I'm still not sure of:

- what other hardware is needed to DC couple this to the inverter. There's a solaredge box some inverters need, but not others

- does SolarEdge support battery failover in the case of grid power cut? Not a game changer for me, but curious to know

- how do I get "admin" login to my inverter? At the moment I can't even change its wifi network, so I'm sure setting up a battery needs more privileged access.  It was setup by the MCS installer and I only have user access. Not sure if I need to go via the original installer, any authorized installer, or direct to SolarEdge customer support

- Logically, by DC coupling, the total inverter output (8kW) still caps the max possible export so I'm still within my original G99. But does the letter of the law say differently.

Any input form anyone with experience of SolarEdge DC coupled batteries much appreciated.

SolarEdge are about to launch there own new DC-coupled battery, there is already information available online.  AFAIU, DC-coupled batteries won't give you any grid backup, I might be wrong though.

In terms of Storedge, I haven't lokoed into this but windandsun sell kits which might give you a better idea of whats needed: http://www.windandsun.co.uk/products/Inverters/SolarEdge/StorEdge-Battery-System#.YYLp6dbP1T4

I have full access to our inverter, just need to flick the switch on the front on the inverter and connect via the mySolarEdge app.  What issues/errors do you see?

It looks like it's the low voltage battery rather than the 400v one.

I am not sure if it can be dc coupled.

I have a 10kW system, panels fitted inroof GSE, awaiting commision with an 6kW HD wave inverter with integral EV charger and 5kW divert to UVC immersion.

There is a scarcity of high voltage LG resu batteries in the country and I am impatiently awaiting the SE Energybank DC coupled battery said to be available from January 22.

Thanks. Overall sounds like another 6 months of wait-and-see then!

The windandsun kits only seem to support 3ph inverters so no use for us. Interestingly they are for 48V batteries so not sure how that corresponds to @Johnnyt comment about needing 400V batteries

I'll check again what exactly happens when I try and change WiFi settings on the inverter @Dan F. Got to admit I didn't even find the MI that says a physical button press is needed to get into admin mode or whatever.

What batteries are used in these systems now ?.  I looked when we fitted solar panels to our current house 5 years ago and the Acid or gel based batteries would last 48-36 months and the replacement costs destroyed the economics of the savings they delivered.  Using the better solid state batteries the price of the system massively increased and I couldnt justify the expense versus the feed in tarrif.

I concentrated on using as much of the electricity produced with water heaters and timers.  We averaged 77% consumption last year.  To store the 23% to batteries is it worth it ?

The next house has a 10kw system with 14kw of solar panels attached.  I could be interested in batteries if the longevity of the cheaper batteries is resolved.

On 04/11/2021 at 08:14, joth said:

Got to admit I didn't even find the MI that says a physical button press is needed to get into admin mode or whatever.

Download phone app, then go to "inverter status" or "inverter communication" and it should ask you to scan a QR code.  The next step is flicking a switch on inverter so that it broadcasts its own WiFi network which the app connects to.

On 06/11/2021 at 11:04, Dan F said:

Download phone app, then go to "inverter status" or "inverter communication" and it should ask you to scan a QR code.  The next step is flicking a switch on inverter so that it broadcasts its own WiFi network which the app connects to.

@joth I realised the other day that the "mySolarEdge" app gives you limited options, but using the "SetApp" app gives you a lot more options.   You need to use the "SetApp" route to enable Modbus TCP which allows Loxone to get data from inverter (without the need for a Modbus extension).

Edited by Dan F

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2021 at 18:36, Dan F said:

@joth I realised the other day that the "mySolarEdge" app gives you limited options, but using the "SetApp" app gives you a lot more options.   You need to use the "SetApp" route to enable Modbus TCP which allows Loxone to get data from inverter (without the need for a Modbus extension).

@Dan F

I gave this a go again and remember the error: when I try and login to the SetApp I get an error "user not allowed to use SetApp"

Any idea who controls the ACL to my own inverter? The original installer I assume, or contact solarEdge?

Thanks

Screenshot_20211123-135430.png

Edited by joth

• 4 weeks later...

Looking again at the new SolarEdge battery.

https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/storedge/solaredge-energybank-10kWh

-  Price looks reasonable, especially if it can be a DIY install (no mains side changes).

- Unclear if it will support grid outage backup mode in the UK. (It just says "depends on country"). 

- Doesn't seem to have any main contactor to properly island the house from the grid during backup operation, and I think you need per device/appliance smart sockets  to shut off individual appliances when in backup mode

- Only supports inverters up to 6kW in size so far, so no use for me (SE8000H). Slightly odd product choice, given larger systems are where battery storage makes most sense.

• 4 months later...
On 15/12/2021 at 15:49, joth said:

- Only supports inverters up to 6kW in size so far, so no use for me (SE8000H). Slightly odd product choice, given larger systems are where battery storage makes most sense

I heard a rumour they'll add 8kW inverter support for their "Energy Bank" in the next month or so.

So the next questions are:

- can it be charged from the mains? I assume so, but that's not a normal inverter function so curious how it actually happens

- what sort of API or advanced control interface it has? E.g. to put it charge mode during overnight cheap rate, or avoid over filling from mains if the forecast is for a really sunny day

I'll be interested to hear from anyone that has installed one already

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2021 at 18:36, Dan F said:

@Dan F I was finally in the right place and with SetApp Admin mode and enough time to survive the FW updates, so managed to get "Modbus TCP" enabled on my inverter at last.

Next question: is there a dummies guide to using this interface to extract generation stats? Ideally directly into Loxone, perhaps a template device exists?, but I can go via some other SW if needed.

I found the DE article below on using modbus TCP in general, but it leaves a bit of guess work (both in the incomplete EN translation, and mapping SolarEdge onto it). 

https://www.loxone.com/dede/kb/kommunikation-mit-modbus-tcp/

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Dan F said:

@joth There is a Loxone template, yes!  This should make it easy.  I think it might be already included in Config, but if not there are details here: https://library.loxone.com/detail/solaredge-inverter-127/overview

Beleive it or not, after telling you about this I never actually got it up and running on mine yet!

I feel stupid.  loxone's search is crap https://www.loxone.com/enen/?s=SolarEdge&submit=Search

But apparently this thing called Google works quite well https://www.google.com/search?q=loxone+SolarEdge

Thanks!  

3 hours ago, Dan F said:

Beleive it or not, after telling you about this I never actually got it up and running on mine yet!

LOL.

I've somewhat stupidly put in a speculative order for the SE EnergyBank, so prepping myself with as much knowledge as possible about interfacing directly to the inverter. Couple observations from a skim:

- Looks like loxone are linking an old version of the Tech note, there's an updated version here:

https://www.solaredge.com/sites/default/files/sunspec-implementation-technical-note.pdf

- Looks like SE is just exposing read-only interface over modbus, so I'll need to look elsewhere if I'm to gain any control over the battery charging priority.

16 minutes ago, joth said:

I've somewhat stupidly put in a speculative order for the SE EnergyBank

Does your PV inverter support this, or it needs a seperate inverter?  I've been trying to get hold of a Powerall, but haven't installed one yet.  Also, not entirely convinced by how configurable Powerwall is .

7 minutes ago, Dan F said:

Does your PV inverter support this, or it needs a seperate inverter?  I've been trying to get hold of a Powerall, but haven't installed one yet.  Also, not entirely convinced by how configurable Powerwall is .

My inverter (SE8000H) is the correct family to support the DC coupled battery, but needs a FW update that they've not yet released. (Currently only works with inverters up to 6kW, rumour 8kW support being added in the next ~month).

Charging from grid during Octopus Go cheap rate is my main concern, but I'll report back here when I find out!!

• 1 month later...

Hi Joth,

Did you get further with this?

Last month, I installed a 6kW solar array and a Solaredge HD wave 5kW inverter.

I'm in the market for a battery, and my installer are trying to sell me:

- LG Chem Resu Prime (this is the newest generation LG Chem battery) as a first choice... they mentioned physical size as the main advantage

- StorEdge as  a second place choice.

Being DC coupled, my understanding is that neither of these two batteries will charge from the grid so that I can make use of Octopus Go. And that's why I haven't bitten yet. In summer, I have lots of spare solar to charge up my battery, so I can probably be totally self-sufficient. But in winter, I won't have any spare solar and then I would like to be able to charge up from Octopus Go and use that to run my GSHP for a few hours in the day.

Otherwise, all the battery does is help cut my summer bill from £1 to zero... when my real problem is that I've got winter usage of £££'s per day.

I'm now toying with a much cheaper AC coupled solution like Victron+Pylontech or Solax or Givenergy.

Any thoughts from someone? About adding in an AC coupled solution after having gone for a SolarEdge inverter?

Ben

No new info to add as delivery of the SolarEdge Energy Bank is moved out to August at the earliest.  (And, the SE8000H FW update to support it doesn't seem to be release yet either)

I thought this new one (Energy Bank, not StorEdge) does support charging from grid.

https://www.solaredge.com/uk/products/solaredge-energy-bank#/ says:

""

• Charge from the grid and make the most of Time of Use tariffs
""

1 hour ago, Benguela said:

I'm now toying with a much cheaper AC coupled solution like Victron+Pylontech or Solax or Givenergy.

Yeah me too. It will require more G99 shenanigans than DC coupled, and slightly less efficient, but at least I'll know what I'm getting. 

Pylontech+Luxpower was my starting point.

I’m still awaiting my SE energybank battery been on back order for almost a year after switching from choice of 10kWh LG chem resu.

I have a 10kW array with the 6kW hd wave inverter with intergral EV charger.

I’m holding tight. I understand that the clipped production above the 6kW that occurs is not all lost as it can go uninverted to the dc coupled battery

I even contacted SE themselves who said they have had issues with production of the battery in Hungary but are trying to resolve as a matter of urgency

When it arrives I’ll post my findings

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/05/2022 at 15:35, joth said:

My inverter (SE8000H) is the correct family to support the DC coupled battery, but needs a FW update that they've not yet released. (Currently only works with inverters up to 6kW, rumour 8kW support being added in the next ~month).

Charging from grid during Octopus Go cheap rate is my main concern, but I'll report back here when I find out!!

I am also using an SE8000H and am going to try and plug a SolarEdge Energy Bank into it, I think according to their site it should now work:

• SolarEdge Home Hub inverters (SExxxxH-AUSNBBX14) up-to 10kW now support on-grid and backup with following batteries:
    • Direct connection of up to two SolarEdge Home Batteries
    • Connection of three SolarEdge Home batteries via Combiner box (pending availability)
    • Supports connection of up to two LG Prime batteries via a Combiner box (pending availability)
      Note: Backup support is pending BUI availability

https://www.solaredge.com/uk/setapp-inverters-firmware

Hopefully I haven't read that wrong, If I don't report back in a month or so someone give me a nudge. Cheers.

Edited by bertybuttface

13 minutes ago, bertybuttface said:

Hopefully I haven't read that wrong, If I don't report back in a month or so someone give me a nudge. Cheers.

Interesting. Slightly odd how they say support for "SolarEdge Home Batteries" rather than "Energy Bank" batteries. Is that the same thing?

Last info I had was via a support ticket, which said support maybe coming in May, which does sound hopeful. 

https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/storedge/solaredge-energybank-10kWh still says 8-10kW inverters not supported.

Weird how they don't make this more obvious. Like large systems are exactly the target market for battery customers.

3 hours ago, joth said:

Interesting. Slightly odd how they say support for "SolarEdge Home Batteries" rather than "Energy Bank" batteries. Is that the same thing?

Last info I had was via a support ticket, which said support maybe coming in May, which does sound hopeful. 

https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/storedge/solaredge-energybank-10kWh still says 8-10kW inverters not supported.

Weird how they don't make this more obvious. Like large systems are exactly the target market for battery customers.

Thanks for the fast reply, if it is not too much of a pain would you mind asking on that ticket what they meant and if things are now supported? If its closed already no worries I'll raise a ticket. 

I have both units here I'm just struggling to move this thing, it is very heavy!

Once it is on the wall I might just plug it in and give it a go. I bet with the right poking via modbus it could be made to work.

Edited by bertybuttface

@bertybuttface I sent them a ping and got this reply:

"''

The SE8000H and SE10000H are still not officially compatible with the SolarEdge Home Battery.

You can subscribe to our newsletter here: https://marketing.solaredge.com/newsletter-row

Here is a link to the firmware page, where you can find the release notes for the latest version (updated with new versions): https://www.solaredge.com/setapp-inverters-firmware/

"""

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, joth said:

@bertybuttface I sent them a ping and got this reply:

"''

The SE8000H and SE10000H are still not officially compatible with the SolarEdge Home Battery.

You can subscribe to our newsletter here: https://marketing.solaredge.com/newsletter-row

Here is a link to the firmware page, where you can find the release notes for the latest version (updated with new versions): https://www.solaredge.com/setapp-inverters-firmware/

"""

Thanks a lot for chasing that up, officially compatible sounds like it might work but just be unsupported. I'll give it a go and report back. 

(SExxxxH-AUSNBBX14) up-to 10kW 

I guess it must just be working in Australia, perhaps some sort of regulatory restrictions / delays with UK / EU / US?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Is there any update on this ? As  I'm having Solar fitted on 22/7 which was supposed to include the energy bank but there seems to have been a delay on that until at least end of August . The issue is the installer is planning on using a 8KW SE inverter so I'm a bit concerned when the battery does turn up it won't work. Any news would be much appreciated,