SolarEdge + StorEdge + LG RESU - anyone done it?

joth

31 minutes ago, bertybuttface said:

I'm not connecting directly to the battery with Modbus. I connect to the inverter with Modbus.

If the screw terminals are in a silly place you should be able to pull out the whole connector (the green bit).

The Battery and the Inverter are talking with "SolarEdge Energy Net for SetApp inverter" which to the best of my knowledge is a Zigbee based protocol.

Apologies for the delayed response. 

Ah thanks. Hmmm. My inverter is connected to the battery by modbus. I saw the battery has an antenna, but to best of my knowledge the inverter doesn't have any ZigBee card.

I failed to pull the green connector out. But it's working now so inclined to leave well alone. But annoying that the installers just don't understand how to correctly use twisted pair cable.

On 30/10/2022 at 21:43, joth said:

to best of my knowledge the inverter doesn't have any ZigBee card.

It is an extra addon, I can't remember where I read it but I read that the battery won't provide full power or fully discharge if its using a wired connection so I bought one of these:

https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/storedge/solaredge-energybank-energy-net

7 hours ago, bertybuttface said:

It is an extra addon, I can't remember where I read it but I read that the battery won't provide full power or fully discharge if its using a wired connection so I bought one of these:

https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/storedge/solaredge-energybank-energy-net

Interesting. Mine charges and discharges at 5kW and goes down to 1.5% charge (as I configured on the SE portal) fine with just wired connection. Is this lower performance than I should expect?

12 hours ago, joth said:

Interesting. Mine charges and discharges at 5kW and goes down to 1.5% charge (as I configured on the SE portal) fine with just wired connection. Is this lower performance than I should expect?

How many kWh are you able to discharge?

I found where I read it now but it seems like I may have been conned.

"The SolarEdge Energy Bank is designed for use with SolarEdge Energy Net for Wireless communication. The inverter might require a matching SolarEdge Energy Net Plug-in (more details below). Using RS485 could reduce the usable energy to 9500Wh"

https://www.solaredge.com/sites/default/files/se-energy-bank-battery-datasheet-nam.pdf

I suspect could should read won't and they just wanted some extra money from me.

Edited by bertybuttface

22 minutes ago, bertybuttface said:

"The SolarEdge Energy Bank is designed for use with SolarEdge Energy Net for Wireless communication. The inverter might require a matching SolarEdge Energy Net Plug-in (more details below). Using RS485 could reduce the usable energy to 9500Wh"

https://www.solaredge.com/sites/default/files/se-energy-bank-battery-datasheet-nam.pdf

I suspect could should read won't and they just wanted some extra money from me.

That's the North American datasheet, fwiw

I found those data sheets super vague. Think they still say my inverter is not supported at all (SE-8000HD)

The max capacity is 9700 Wh and I'm not confident my metering (based off polling and integrating the battery's own reported power output) is enough to discern if I get that final 200Wh out of it or not. I guess that's 8p worth of usage I'm missing out on everyday.

So aside from the double register reads needed, another shortcoming of the SolarEdge ModbusTCP implementation is their server only accepts a single TCP connection at a time. Boo.

I wanted to have Loxone and Home Assistant both pull data directly from it; for control and long term monitoring/logging purposes respectively. I'll have to move to have one piggyback data off the other, but I'd much rather they were totally independent systems.

Hello,

Finally got my battery up and running .

The installer did my profile to charge with my Octopus Go tariff but he set the reserve to 10% which he said was to do with the warranty. I did a bit of reasearch and wasn't convinced so I spoke to SE who took the reserve off saying the battery has a hidden 4% reserve anyway.

Another thing is my production figures are all over the place foor example now on my dash board it says today I've produced 1.39kwh on my layout the inverter says 10.92kwh and the strings say 1.61kwh and 820wh.

I think adding the strings together is the actual amount.

I spoke to SE who said they were aware of the problem and working on a fix.

So I thought I would check is everyone having this problem ?

Also I did put my name forward to beta test the customer battery control addition to the app.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Arty68 said:

I think adding the strings together is the actual amount.

I spoke to SE who said they were aware of the problem and working on a fix

Yeah I read somewhere that SE production/consumption figures are mad if you charge it from grid at all. Certainly I see the sum of all my daily household usag (including any taken from the battery) *plus* the additional used to charge up the battery from grid as my daily consumption figure, so typically 10kWh more than the real figure. 

Good to know they're working on a fix.

If you turn off the charge from grid profile and just put it on maximize self use, you'll see the app gives much better detailed view of how much is being self used each day.

On 09/11/2022 at 12:12, joth said:

So aside from the double register reads needed, another shortcoming of the SolarEdge ModbusTCP implementation is their server only accepts a single TCP connection at a time. Boo.

I wanted to have Loxone and Home Assistant both pull data directly from it; for control and long term monitoring/logging purposes respectively. I'll have to move to have one piggyback data off the other, but I'd much rather they were totally independent systems.

You could use a Modbus Proxy such as https://pypi.org/project/modbus-proxy/

On 12/11/2022 at 15:40, joth said:

If you turn off the charge from grid profile and just put it on maximize self use, you'll see the app gives much better detailed view of how much is being self used each day.

Unfortunatly I have no control over the battery.

So juat solar production figure ATM can only get values for today,this week,this month ,this year and total. So for example next month I won't be able to see acurate production figures for this month. As ATM my dashboard says 40kwh for this month but adding the strings up in the layout gives me 55kwh.

• 4 months later...

I have this setup as of this week. SE5000H, StorEdge, LG RESU 16H Prime. Works well generally and I have full control using modbus via TCP (no SolarEdge apps have been set up yet).

I'm having 2 main issues. One is that the battery is almost always limited to charging/discharging at 3.2kW, even though the inverter's limit is set to 5.4kW and the battery's spec sheet says it can charge/discharge at 7kW. I have seen it briefly charge at 4.9kW from the grid (as expected) but only for a 10 minute period or so. SolarEdge say everything looks fine their end and it's a battery config issue, but LG have no technical contact number/email that I can find, and no config options are listed in the manual. Any ideas?

The second issue is we are always exporting or importing a small amount and the response to solar generation or house load changing seems really slow, which means we sometimes import or export say 1kW for 10s or so. All of this adds up so yesterday we exported 1kWh and imported 0.5kWh during the day! I don't expect self a consumption to be 100% but surely it should be 98-99% rather than the 90% it was yesterday?

Thanks for any help.

1 hour ago, DragonQ said:

The second issue is we are always exporting or importing a small amount and the response to solar generation or house load changing seems really slow, which means we sometimes import or export say 1kW for 10s or so. All of this adds up so yesterday we exported 1kWh and imported 0.5kWh during the day! I don't expect self a consumption to be 100% but surely it should be 98-99% rather than the 90% it was yesterday?

10s ( or so ) seems about right in my experience. So you can import quite a few ‘ bits ‘ during the day especially if load ( or clouds ) Change frequently…

Looking in more detail at the data, it does seem as if most of our unnecessary export is because the battery is unable to charge at more than 3.2kW most of the time, and only at 1.6kW when it's 90+% charged. I've reduced how much we charge it overnight based on solar forecasts and since then our self-usage is now 96-97% which is more like it. Hopefully that was the primary issue.

I've asked LG why their supposed "7kW" charge rate is nowhere near that most of the time, but I cannot find a working technical support email so I might get a marketing blurb response, who knows.

• 4 months later...

Since 05:30 today, our RESU 16H Prime has been stuck in "power saving" mode, as indicated by the battery status via modbus and the slowly flashing "on" light on the battery itself. There's nothing in the manual indicating what this actually means or how to fix it. The battery has ~22% charge.

The battery's WiFi isn't available either. I've tried changing the battery's mode via modbus to try to wake it up, to no avail. Has anyone seen this behaviour before?

Is it worth trying to reset it? As far as I can tell this involves turning off the inverter, turning off the battery, then flipping the AC isolator, then doing all of those in reverse. I don't want to break things further though (e.g. stop solar working).

Edited by DragonQ

Power cycling if as you describe should be safe, as it's like what happens in a power cut. It may help. But don't trust me I'm just some guy on the internet 😂

I had to remove mine from the inverter and re-pair it to fix when it went wrong. SE warned against doing that as it may make things worse though.

Well it randomly woke up and started working again 17 hours later. I've asked my installer to open a support ticket with LG to investigate (if I do it myself I'll have to wait 2 months for a response if my previous experience is anything to go by).