JSHarris

Airless paint spraying advice

I've sprayed both Wickes Trade matt emulsion and Leyland Vinyl matt emulsion and both seemed exactly the same as far as I could tell.  I did have problems until I realised just how very thoroughly the paint has to be mixed.  Ten minutes of very vigorous stirring with a power drill and decent paddle stirrer seemed essential, as I did have problems initially when the paint just wasn't well enough stirred.  I would guess that stirring, to get rid of even the very slightest trace of thicker areas of pain in the can is probably the most critical thing.  The adjustment of spray pressure, nozzle size etc, seemed relatively tolerant to errors compared with mixing.

Auro 321 sprays well. The cheaper 320 also works but there are bits in the paint that clog up the filter so it needs flushing our frequently.

I spent some time chatting to the Valspar people at B&Q yesterday; that can be sprayed. Slight care needed as they have different 'contract' paint for new plaster, and another one for going over existing paint.

F

Great piece of kit, I have the slightly smaller version. 

J S Harris do you still need advice❓

18 hours ago, Glynn said:

J S Harris do you still need advice❓

No thanks, I probably have all the knowledge needed now, having used the thing a lot.  It wasn't hard to learn how to use, really just a bit of trial and error, together with a look at a few US Youtube videos.  It probably took me around an hour to get adept at seeing the effect of different nozzles and pressures, and working out the settings to use for each, and after that it was pretty much plain sailing.  I did have a fair bit of conventional and LVHP spraying experience, from painting cars and aeroplanes, so at least the gun technique was familiar.  It might take someone with no previous spraying experience a bit longer to learn, but I doubt it, as it's really pretty simple once you understand the basics, I found.

I painted the interior of a friends house with it recently, and have to say it did a better job than the very good decorators that did our self-build using rollers and a brush.  I did the whole interior of a 3 bedroom house in a day, with virtually no mess and just some assistance with the messy stuff, like cleaning out the pump, hose, filters and gun, and ensuring the paint was mixed up really, really well.  I think once these things catch on here, as they seem to have in the USA, then they will become the standard way of decorating walls.

I was going to sell my airless kit after I'd used it last year, but think I'll hang on to it and just keep it full of ethylene glycol/sodium nitrite inhibitor in case I need it again, or someone else wants to borrow it.

15 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I painted the interior of a friends house with it recently

Just out of interst what paint did you use this time?

1 hour ago, Plumbersmateuk said:

Just out of interst what paint did you use this time?

The same stuff, Leyland from Screwfix mainly, plus two rooms where the walls were done with the Dulux Durable stuff.  I can recommend the latter, it really does do what it says on the tin, and seems a heck of a lot tougher and easier to wipe marks off than normal emulsion, even the vinyl bathroom and kitchen stuff, plus it has a matt finish.  The Dulux Durable sprayed just the same as the Leyland stuff, no change to any settings on the pump and I used the same nozzle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1