10cm

puntloos

Dear reader, take a quick look at this kitchen map.

The 3 highlighted numbers. Should I;

1/ Leave as-is. A generous walkway behind the island

2/ Make walkway 1000, make island 100 deeper

3/ Make walkway 1000, make walkway between the service shaft and island 1052?

(and.. why?)

10cm.thumb.jpg.fad6aec7ef78ce1b3d99bfb884293d3a.jpg

Builds like this are really difficult to “see” on a drawing and a few millimetres can make a massive difference to the room.

make a mock-up with sheets of anything sat on boxes or trestles etc. Then move them around a bit, stand back, walk around, adjust size and repeat until it feels right

• Like 2

That would FAIL building regs in Scotland, not enough "circulation space"  Do the English regs not have a similar requirement?

We have a 1400 gap from main units to Island (to meet the circulation space requirement) and might reduce it to 1200 later on, but I would not want less than 1200.

I will stick my neck on the block and say this kitchen is not big enough for an island.

Mock it up. We found that the standard 1200 gap between island and units was too much if it was a working area - e.g. between oven and island. We made our last kitchen 1000mm after overhangs. For mixed area of the kitchen (e.g. bins, sink etc) where you could be passing by another person, the 1000mm wasn't enough and this time we're allowing 1200mm. For parts where you don't have opposing units, 900mm is perfect. You look cosy enough as it is, so I'd keep the island the same, just move it over to the left by ~100mm.

When it comes to fitting time, you'll be able to move things about slightly anyway.

Where is your sink / oven etc on that drawing? What's the space to the top of the drawing? Does kitchen end or does it open to another space? I.e. is there traffic through to another room via the kitchen?

Edited by Conor

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

That would FAIL building regs in Scotland, not enough "circulation space"  Do the English regs not have a similar requirement?

Far from it, over here the kitchen place we went to yesterday advised 900-1000 'to meet wheelchair reqs'. 

Maybe the scottish are provisioning 1400 to meet 'be able to turn around while carrying bagpipes' regs?

We have a 1400 gap from main units to Island (to meet the circulation space requirement) and might reduce it to 1200 later on, but I would not want less than 1200.

Well, since we were there in that kitchen shop they had both 900, 1000 and 1100 gaps .. 1000 felt fine, 1100 perhaps even slightly inefficient.

I will stick my neck on the block and say this kitchen is not big enough for an island.

A quick render - note that the dimensions are somewhat hard to fathom, since the ceiling height is 2m70 (window ends at 1500, top of the 'backsplash style cupboards is 2300) and the worktop heights are 1000

kitchen-new.thumb.jpg.5481eca67f7ddc763f7bebadc50f4ea8.jpg

10 minutes ago, Conor said:

That's almost identical to our layout except the oven is at the opposite end. And I dropped the prep sink in favour of more worktop.

I forgot your status, any chance you can send me some plans/photos/renders of what your situation looks like? 

and.. ha.. what would you do differently in retrospect?

1 hour ago, puntloos said:

Far from it, over here the kitchen place we went to yesterday advised 900-1000 'to meet wheelchair reqs'. 

Maybe the scottish are provisioning 1400 to meet 'be able to turn around while carrying bagpipes' regs?

Well, since we were there in that kitchen shop they had both 900, 1000 and 1100 gaps .. 1000 felt fine, 1100 perhaps even slightly inefficient.

A quick render - note that the dimensions are somewhat hard to fathom, since the ceiling height is 2m70 (window ends at 1500, top of the 'backsplash style cupboards is 2300) and the worktop heights are 1000

kitchen-new.thumb.jpg.5481eca67f7ddc763f7bebadc50f4ea8.jpg

Very different in that view to what I had imagined.  On the layout drawing I took the right hand light blue run of units to be a solid wall of units.  Now I see tthat (left wall in this render) is actually open and what i saw on the plan is a row of units above the doorway.

1 hour ago, puntloos said:

I forgot your status, any chance you can send me some plans/photos/renders of what your situation looks like? 

and.. ha.. what would you do differently in retrospect?

This is all we have so far. No plans but kitchen area is about 4.8m long and 4.2m wide. Island is 2600x900mm ex overhangs.

Screenshot_20210913-135104.png

On 13/09/2021 at 13:54, Conor said:

This is all we have so far. No plans but kitchen area is about 4.8m long and 4.2m wide. Island is 2600x900mm ex overhangs.

Wow indeed we are pretty similar there. The reason we moved the oven towards the corner was because it tightens the work triangle and if it's open, you don't have to walk around it with difficulty. Why did you choose the right section?

Small thought: we have 900mm deep island split into 600 deep drawers and a 300 cupboard on the back, but the kitchen manufacturer needed a void between the cupboards and took that from the depth of the rear cupboards making them just too shallow for many things we wanted to put there (bread maker, food processor etc).

We'd have added a bit more overall depth if we'd realized, or had slightly less depth on the drawers instead (would have complicated the Bora install bit would have been worth it)

On 13/09/2021 at 11:01, puntloos said:

the worktop heights are 1000

Is the 1000 high worktops in the render only or is that what you are proposing? It's higher than the usual 900 which is fine if you are slightly taller. I'm 6'2' so would be fine with 1000mm high although I find 900 ok too but the 5'4' other half would struggle with the extra height.

2 hours ago, Dudda said:

Is the 1000 high worktops in the render only or is that what you are proposing? It's higher than the usual 900 which is fine if you are slightly taller. I'm 6'2' so would be fine with 1000mm high although I find 900 ok too but the 5'4' other half would struggle with the extra height.

Yes, I'm 6'4 - wife is tall too (but not Dutch tall ;) )

4 hours ago, joth said:

Small thought: we have 900mm deep island split into 600 deep drawers and a 300 cupboard on the back, but the kitchen manufacturer needed a void between the cupboards and took that from the depth of the rear cupboards making them just too shallow for many things we wanted to put there (bread maker, food processor etc).

We'd have added a bit more overall depth if we'd realized, or had slightly less depth on the drawers instead (would have complicated the Bora install bit would have been worth it)

So you'd indeed go for a 1000-deep island.. interesting. Possibly worth doing.

On 16/09/2021 at 03:04, puntloos said:

Wow indeed we are pretty similar there. The reason we moved the oven towards the corner was because it tightens the work triangle and if it's open, you don't have to walk around it with difficulty. Why did you choose the right section?

We have the hob and ovens down that end of the kitchen to keep it away from the "tea station". Seriously, there needs to be a zone in the kitchen for making tea whilst avoiding me and my, erm creative enterprises and associated debris.