VOIP Service

Guest Alphonsox

Guest Alphonsox

It seems that the chances of getting a decent broadband service via landland are close to zero, as is the bitrate  - currently I've been quoted a max of 1Mbps, neighbours tell me 512Kbps is closer to the truth. I do however get a reasonable 4G mobile service so I've decided to go entirely wireless at the new build.

I've purchased a Huwawi LTE router/modem and intend to pair it with a data only Sim card (50G for £25 per month)

http://consumer.huawei.com/en/smart-home/lte-router/features/b315-en.htm

The router provides an analog phone input and configuration for setting up a VOIP service connection. I use VOIP every day as part of the day job but know absolutely nothing about its operation as a private individual. At the very least a I need a service that provides a local number for dialing in and a cheap monthly charge. 

Does anyone have experience (good or bad) of such services they can share ?

Think there are business options that allow / offer this with handsets and a server somewhere in the cloud connected to the PSTN so you can have a land line number. Domestic types end up using something like BT SmartTalk, there is a TalkTalk equivalent I think.

Guest Alphonsox

Vonage and Sipgate are the two which jump to the top of the google rankings. (BT Smart Talk seems to require/assume a BT line). trying to choose between them seems the tricky bit.

I use SipGate. I'm looking at the other way to you - just having a fibre broadband connection and no phone line (we all have unlimited minutes on EE / O2) and just using my SipGate number as the house number. 

I used to use Vonage when we have Virgin cable in our last house. My wife is American so there was a big saving on international calls.

They issue you with a phone number and a box which attaches to your broadband and you can then plug a phone into it. Alternatively you can now use an app.

Okay I have to ask. but.

Can anyone else see a certain irony, in using a mobile phone service, to provide your broadband connection, to use a VOIP service to make a telephone call.

I have to ask the very dumb question, why not just use the mobile phone to make the call?

I have a serious interest as there is a planning application for an EE 4G mast in line of sight of our plot, so we might actually some time get a decent 4G signal.  If I can sort out the technicalities, like a decent BB allowance and the ability to make and receive calls at the same time as using the BB (is that even possible?) I just might ditch the land line.

Guest Alphonsox
10 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I have to ask the very dumb question, why not just use the mobile phone to make the call?

I was wondering when someone would spot that O.o

The answer is that I can stick the 4G modem in the loft and feed ethernet and telephone via cable to the rest if the house where I can't get a mobile signal due to the tin foil lined insulation. The alternative for voice is to use a signal booster - but this doesn't solve the lack of internet.

Edit > and calls to VOIP are cheaper than calls to mobile

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

like a decent BB allowance and the ability to make and receive calls at the same time as using the BB (is that even possible?)

Do you know who's mast it is..?? EE allow quota sharing so you can put a data SIM into a mifi unit and use the allowance from the phone contract. Others do a similar thing with data only SIMs for tablets etc. but the tablet doesn't know what it is being used for so it can go in pretty much anything. 

We ditched the home phone number when moving into temp accommodation and have no intention of getting another. WhatsApp audio calls for personal and a Zoiper app for a business VoIP line via Gradwell. Not missing the home phone line at all.  

and assuming I can get a reliable 3G some how to my new build (unfortunately Vodafone very unreliable around here) then we will stick with the above

9 hours ago, PeterW said:

Do you know who's mast it is..?? EE allow quota sharing so you can put a data SIM into a mifi unit and use the allowance from the phone contract. Others do a similar thing with data only SIMs for tablets etc. but the tablet doesn't know what it is being used for so it can go in pretty much anything. 

It is EE that have submitted the planning application so I assume it will be their mast and service.

So you don't use a "phone" and tether it (as I assumed you would) you use a 4G data modem?

I have a Sipgate number, but mostly use the Betamax/Dellmont services, voipcheap.com, voipcheap.co.uk, SMSListo etc, etc. They are cheap and I have found them reliable. They will let you spoof any phone number that you own, but do tend to present the number as International, which could be an issue for some.

Guest Alphonsox

So I have spent a few hours in research and setup with the following results :-

- I now have an account with Sipgate

- Sipgate have provided me with  a new landline number apparently from the local exchange in Kircubbin, Northern Ireland (028 427.......)

- I have downloaded a Sipgate recommended VOIP phone app - Zoiper - onto an old unused Android phone (wifi connected - no sim card)

- I can call the Northern Ireland landline number and the Android phone rings.......all from my garden in the Forest of Dean

Total cost to me so far = £0

This looks to be perfect for my requirements and goes down as one of those impressive bits of modern technology that "just works"

Thanks for all the input. Another problem area of the build is now sorted.