Self-build in Perth & Kinross - hello

Kelvin

47 minutes ago, Dunc said:

Exciting to see all the progress.

I'm curious why the SIP for the roof?

Also, any particular reason for the foundation design (vs insulated raft)?

Apparently it’s a combination of strength and ceiling height vs thermal performance. The MVHR ducting runs through this roof too. The final inside layer is insulated plasterboard. 

Largely naïveté on my part and I was too far into the planning process to change the foundation design by the time I understood it better. I did get a quote though and ruminated for a week about what to do then our warrant application got approved 5 weeks early so it made my mind up for me. The floor will have 200mm of Kingspan under the screed. The top block on the foundation is a big insulated block, we’ll have an upstand on the inside and likely insulation on the outside of the blocks if I can detail it with the cladding well enough. Not ideal but will still provide a very good performance. 

Everyone says your drainage will get damaged. Even the kit erection company said it’s common. I’ve only got one manhole cover in yet and banged in stakes and yellow tape marking where the drainage runs elsewhere. We have plenty of hardcore down and I tell everyone to stay clear of the edges but some knucklehead still managed to get his van stuck. 

5DFEB183-3CC4-4FE3-B8EB-4774367B2742.thumb.jpeg.4af607cda67f7d84c8bffbc9b01deb7a.jpeg

4C732B49-56FC-4ACF-BA11-C72FC0541913.thumb.jpeg.cd57e0e51bb64d186f3b0ec206eba59a.jpeg

Edited by Kelvin
  • Like 1

My carefully timed schedule of activities is slowly unraveling! Garage was due to be erected this week. I checked last week and they confirmed it. Unbeknownst to me it’s a separate company that does the install so while the supplier said we were still good to go they hadn’t confirmed it with the installer. No one turned up today so managed to track down the installer as couldn’t get a hold of the supplier. He thinks we are next week. Checks his schedule and realises he’s mixed us up with another install. My immediate issue is the house is being installed next week so I need the garage up before then as it’s kinda in the way and I don’t want it damaged. They are now going to work through the weekend to get it installed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kelvin said:

My carefully timed schedule of activities is slowly unraveling! Garage was due to be erected this week. I checked last week and they confirmed it. Unbeknownst to me it’s a separate company that does the install so while the supplier said we were still good to go they hadn’t confirmed it with the installer. No one turned up today so managed to track down the installer as couldn’t get a hold of the supplier. He thinks we are next week. Checks his schedule and realises he’s mixed us up with another install. My immediate issue is the house is being installed next week so I need the garage up before then as it’s kinda in the way and I don’t want it damaged. They are now going to work through the weekend to get it installed. 

and so it begins...... 😉

In this particular case I just said it needed to be up before Monday as the house is being delivered then and it won’t be safe to have two teams on site one working on the garage and the other on the house. 

Edited by Kelvin

I went to look at a neighbour’s borehole headworks chamber on Monday. I now know how not to do it. What a mess. Floods when it rains heavily contaminating his water which wrecks all the filters. 

17 hours ago, Thorfun said:

and so it begins...... 😉

😂 yes. I thought of your earlier comment as the guy was apologising about not tuning up. I spoke to him again this morning and he sounds like a decent guy and it was a genuine error. They’ll be here at 8am tomorrow and should be done by Saturday. The only issue with the delay is the insulated garage door and PA door are fitted by a different company so they will be here when the house is going up. 

Next problem is getting some ground mats delivered before Monday. I have loads of hard standing but the edge is very soft and with all the rain I don’t trust it. 

• Like 1

After the rocky start the gables are up. Hardest part done other than probably the big window. 

Garage looks great albeit the install was a bit slap dash so in talks with supplier. Doors being fitted now. Hormann sectional door. I should have fitted their matching PA door. 

711FF5D7-A17D-4599-B898-61F0B1938747.thumb.jpeg.203a200022388597c1a780177c57fdad.jpeg28588688-7A70-4B29-ABFA-0939E897C4B6.thumb.jpeg.736556975ce84bd7b8bdc609f0ccf305.jpeg

• Like 2

300 degree pitch roof. Normally 10 and rarely above 20.  I thought 30looked better. We’re also atop a hill so gets a lot of wind. All of that said other buildings they’ve done are similarly engineered. 

1 hour ago, ETC said:

why are the haunches so big

That would be a problem if wanting to park a tall vehicle near the side.

I have seen plenty haunches that big, but the span would be 30m, not 6m.

Kelvin, you don't seem to mind, but to me the haunches restrict the headroom unreasonably, saving the fabricator a fair amount of steel. If it is a nuisance then I think they could easily improve it.

Did the spec mention the minimum internal headroom?

I would hope they brought it to your attention.

Portal frames are often specified by minimum clear internal height, to ensure storage capacity...yours seems to be about 1.2m.

@Gus Potterknows a lot about lightweight steel portals, so his thoughts would be interesting.

If it really isn't a problem, then great. 

632E084D-9E6D-4228-BE0A-579AABAC1EDD.thumb.jpeg.7a338eb71ef4dda5d4f8273871b01a01.jpegI was aware they were like this so although they didn’t mention the headroom I could see it was restricted. It’s 6m wide so plenty of room down the sides. Any shelving/storage I put in will go between the uprights which are 3.5m wide. The guys fitting the doors mentioned that some folk replace the four middle haunches to improve the space restriction. 

There are a few issues with it though. Mostly aesthetic due to a lack of care putting it up. My fussy groundsworker said it widnae bother him and he’s awfy fussy. They also supplied a commercial electric opener so guaranteed for a million operations but only one internal switch and no remote function. It supports an external switch via a relay so I think I can add a remote receiver to it. 

Edited by Kelvin

3 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

some folk replace the four middle haunches to improve the space restriction. 

Meaning throw them away probably. Scary.

I was is a garage once where the hoisted cars hit the steel roof trusses,  so they had just removed the bottom ties.

I did a big steel building once where the client added a window and threw away the wind bracing. It is still standing, but there is some luck in that.

Glad you are happy, so all is well.

Some companies are great. I mentioned the problems with the garage install. Spoke to the owner today who will do whatever I need to get it to my satisfaction. I’m reluctant to have it taken apart to replace the damaged roof sheets in case they introduce more problems but more because I want to limit the number of people on-site. More people more vans greater likelihood of damage etc. He’s keen for it to be perfect but will offer a discount on the cost if I prefer. However,  he’s going to supply a remote receiver and two remotes as recompense for the problems on top of whatever it takes to fix the garage. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

damaged roof sheets

That could cause a reduction in durability......rust. 

Got a picture of the damage? Otherwise describe it.

2 hours ago, Kelvin said:

like this

It doesn't look so extreme in this view.

I hope the vehicle door is following the slope up the roof. Sometimes they are fixed to slide horizontally and it kills a lot of potential storage or workshop height.

The damage is cosmetic. When they tightened the drill screws down it pushed the roof panel onto the wall panel below causing dents all along the roof line. It’s very noticeable in certain lights. Two of the wall panels have manufacturing faults where they have largish bumps on them. Had it been on the side you don’t look at I’d not be bothered but it’s right by the door. They have a bump guy who can flatten them. I flew my drone over it all and there’s no breaks in the plastisol coating anywhere. They are also going to replace all the guttering as it doesn’t fit correctly. 

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

bump guy who can flatten them. 

That's a new one to me. I've got no idea what that means. Hope it doesn't involve cutting back the surface.

Bumps in the panel are also something I haven't heard of. 

Could be 'seconds quality' panelling which is readily available from suppliers. The other term is "non prime".

The plastisol is about 1/2 mm thick on galvanising of microns. Better learn to like the bumps, you'll soon dent it anyway.

He’s an ex panel beater apparently. They’ve used him a few times when panels have this unevenness. If he can’t fix it then they’ll be replaced.

I don’t mind bumps that I make. Less enamoured with bumps it came with for free. 

4C1097DC-DDF3-4FFB-9B73-73702B31937C.thumb.jpeg.f1a75b9533e8d2cde8790812cc8f0f12.jpeg

Edited by Kelvin