Self-build in Perth & Kinross - hello

Kelvin

Got the drone up yesterday. First time the flat roof has been clear of stuff since April. Also did another tidy up so the whole site is now clear with the spare materials organised by type in one corner out of the way. We should have been getting the drainage finished this week but the flooding in the local area has  held the team up on another site. I suspect there will be another delay due to the coming storm. 

Interesting comment from someone yesterday. I had the magic mastic man have a look round to get an idea of the size of the job. I can apply mastic well enough but he’s a bit of an artist with the stuff and his work is impeccable. He asked me where the heating was. I told him there is nothing in the house yet. He couldn’t believe how warm it was. 

dji_fly_20231017_144436_183_1697550283999_photo.jpeg.69acf19466e26256b091b475e86ded06.jpeg

• Like 9

I'm not surprised your house was warm yesterday.  Lots of sun all day, and no doubt you've got triple glazed windows.  You can probably just about see our house in your photo.  We're just next Larghan park, in a house we built around 10 years ago.  Still nice and toasty this morning without heating on! 

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has slowed down a fair bit frustratingly. I’m getting odd days here are there from the plasterers but they’ve been back this week so I now have about 40% of the plastering done  but it’s taken a month. I’ve also started painting which feels like a big step. Sparky also went off sick for two weeks and hasn’t been around this week either so no progress there. Groundswork team eventually came back to continue drainage work and install treatment plant. However they have a staffing problem at a bigger job that has penalties attached to have had to go back there for two weeks. I doubt I’ll see them again for 4 weeks though. 

• Sad 1

On 11/10/2023 at 16:55, Kelvin said:

There have been a few threads on sealing up ducts. I had to seal my main power cable duct so thought I’d share. 

This is just the sort of duct sealing system I have been looking for thanks @Kelvin However it does seem a steep £ for what looks essentially like some fancy silicone. I actually have some foam in a very similar 3D shape so am wondering if I could use this to replicate this solution with a much cheaper external rated silicone? Did you consider that or am I penny pinching too far?

57 minutes ago, markharro said:

This is just the sort of duct sealing system I have been looking for thanks @Kelvin However it does seem a steep £ for what looks essentially like some fancy silicone. I actually have some foam in a very similar 3D shape so am wondering if I could use this to replicate this solution with a much cheaper external rated silicone? Did you consider that or am I penny pinching too far?

Yes I’m pretty sure you could use other foam and just buy the sealant. All the foam does is give you something to seal against. In terms of cost it comes down to how many ducts you can get out of a pack. If you’re only doing one duct it’s dear but at least you know it will work. I have quite a few to do so have decided to use this product as in grand scheme it’s a small cost overall. 

On 02/11/2023 at 11:09, Kelvin said:

install treatment plant

It's up yo you of course, but we controlled the level of the tank, which wasn't easy, down a big hole, and we also put a spirit level on it so it wasn't going uphill.

The excellent jcb driver said he had never seen this done, and had done ( ie dug and hoisted in) perhaps 30.

It follows then, that most installations are very rough but get by, or we'd hear about it.

Also that bcos don't worry about it, or perhaps stay clear.

The implications are of the contents not flowing through and digesting properly, and the inlet pipes sitting with waste in them.

Also the guy said he had only ever seen rubble soakaways, and never the herring-bone one we had in already.

All pretty rough, and that is probably what your groundworkers will have in mind.

1 hour ago, markharro said:

This stuff for example - https://www.screwfix.com/p/sika-sikaflex-ebt-all-weather-sealant-black-300ml/79299#product_additional_details_container

I will have quite a few ducts to plug to include main power but also quite a few for data cable so this could save quite a bit of £

I’ve used that for all manner of things around the house but I don’t think it would work to seal up big ducts so I wouldn’t use that personally. However have a practice on one of your ducts and see how you get on and let us know. 

What makes the other stuff work is it’s very soft so when you smooth it with the damp sponge it completely seals. Water will get through the tiniest of gaps. 

Edited by Kelvin

2 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

It's up yo you of course, but we controlled the level of the tank, which wasn't easy, down a big hole, and we also put a spirit level on it so it wasn't going uphill.

The excellent jcb driver said he had never seen this done, and had done ( ie dug and hoisted in) perhaps 30.

It follows then, that most installations are very rough but get by, or we'd hear about it.

Also that bcos don't worry about it, or perhaps stay clear.

The implications are of the contents not flowing through and digesting properly, and the inlet pipes sitting with waste in them.

Also the guy said he had only ever seen rubble soakaways, and never the herring-bone one we had in already.

All pretty rough, and that is probably what your groundworkers will have in mind.

Our groundswork guy does exactly as you describe. I watched them do it on another build nearby last year. I have too many other things to do so if I keep adding tasks I’ll never get finished plus I’m doing everything on my own 😂 

Making decent progress with the painting. I was going to buy a sprayer so hired one. What a pia it is as it’s always blocking. I decided to stick with the traditional method of rollering etc. although might try again with the sprayer when I get to the vaulted ceiling. I’m a pretty good painter if somewhat slow and quite enjoy doing it. Like everything it’s in the prep. 

I’m really impressed with the white emulsion I’m using. Crown Contract Super Covertex. I got a job lot of it cheap from Travis Perkins. Thinned back a bit it covers well with only a mist coat and a top coat needed really. I’ll do a final coat of the wipeable stuff in the heavy traffic areas. 

Our custom made glass hand blown lights for the open plan area turned up on Friday and very beautiful they are too. I can really recommend Emily at glow lighting. Great to deal with. 

https://www.glowlighting.co.uk/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=20623605482&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoInDj7yvggMV752DBx3ofASPEAAYASAAEgLlPfD_BwE

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kelvin said:

Making decent progress with the painting. I was going to buy a sprayer so hired one. What a pia it is as it’s always blocking. I decided to stick with the traditional method of rollering etc. although might try again with the sprayer when I get to the vaulted ceiling. I’m a pretty good painter if somewhat slow and quite enjoy doing it. Like everything it’s in the prep. 

I’m really impressed with the white emulsion I’m using. Crown Contract Super Covertex. I got a job lot of it cheap from Travis Perkins. Thinned back a bit it covers well with only a mist coat and a top coat needed really. I’ll do a final coat of the wipeable stuff in the heavy traffic areas. 

Our custom made glass hand blown lights for the open plan area turned up on Friday and very beautiful they are too. I can really recommend Emily at glow lighting. Great to deal with. 

https://www.glowlighting.co.uk/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=20623605482&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoInDj7yvggMV752DBx3ofASPEAAYASAAEgLlPfD_BwE

I didn't find painting vaulted ceilings with a roller too onerous. A coat of plasterboard primer had dried more or less in time to start again with the emulsion - used slightly dearer (Valspar) stuff and it only needed one coat. My neck was glad when it was done though. 

On 18/10/2023 at 08:24, Kelvin said:

Got the drone up yesterday. First time the flat roof has been clear of stuff since April. Also did another tidy up so the whole site is now clear with the spare materials organised by type in one corner out of the way. We should have been getting the drainage finished this week but the flooding in the local area has  held the team up on another site. I suspect there will be another delay due to the coming storm. 

Interesting comment from someone yesterday. I had the magic mastic man have a look round to get an idea of the size of the job. I can apply mastic well enough but he’s a bit of an artist with the stuff and his work is impeccable. He asked me where the heating was. I told him there is nothing in the house yet. He couldn’t believe how warm it was. 

dji_fly_20231017_144436_183_1697550283999_photo.jpeg.69acf19466e26256b091b475e86ded06.jpeg

looking good

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve lucked out and managed to get the best plasterer in the area by all accounts. He started this week and by the end of tomorrow nearly all of the downstairs will be completed. His work is certainly excellent. He has a few other jobs in the diary but by end of January we’ll be fully plastered and I’ll be finished most of the painting. The slow start to the plastering is now causing me scheduling problems as the staircase is built and ready to be delivered next week. The main kitchen is due to be delivered in a few weeks as are the tiles so running out of space to put everything.

I should have sacked the first plasterers off much sooner. The quality was good enough just painfully slow. Important lesson for future fellow self-builders. If you have any doubts then don’t bury your head in the sand hoping it will get better have an honest conversation with them and move on. 

• Like 2

The proof will come in the pudding Kelvin when you come to turn on the lights and have finished the paintwork and decor.

I would hold your council and report back then.

I still keep my hands on my tools so have plastered all of my own house, done all the shadow gaps and undercoat plaster with my Derby.. I have lost the magic touch and the physical stength so need to sand and make good bits and bobs.. but being fast does not equate to quality.. what do the edges look like.. how much brushing is going on..

It may seem smooth but to be fast you need more water so parts of the plaster will be over hydrated.. and the finishes won't stick too well to that.

Edited by Gus Potter

Thanks Gus. In terms of speed he’s working at the same  rate as the first two the difference is it’s 5 days back to back rather than 5 days spread over 6 weeks! 

In terms of quality so far I’m going on flatness and trowel marks. It’s night and day compared to the first two where I’ve had to do a lot of sanding and filling plus edges and corners are especially sharp compared to elsewhere. All the trades up here rate them too.  He also has plasterer on his van 😂 

Edited by Kelvin

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

We measured it to allow us to slide the plasterboard behind it should be a doddle. 😂 

What we found, was it was a LOT easier lifting ALL the plasterboard for upstairs, up an empty stairwell before the stairs went in.

• Like 1

I fitted the utility room this morning from diy kitchens. Now I’ve had a good chance to look at it and the ironmongery I’d say you get what you pay for. It’s a perfectly good kitchen. It is let down a little by some of the fittings. The towel rail drawer is a little flimsy and I had to add extra screws as it was only held on by two screws. Not entirely convinced it will last the test of time. It was also a bit shoddily put together in places. The sink and tap are pretty decent and the solid oak worktop was good value for money. All in all happy with it but I’m not sure I’d have been so happy with it as our main kitchen. 

IMG_0836.jpeg.b1291852b65497b2a300f9c68350a594.jpeg

• Like 1

Our nice clean dry site is now a muddy hole. I decided that we needed to extend the retaining wall all the way down the bank. I noticed that it never really fully dried out in the summer and the silt was running off it onto the drive. Original plan was to grade it back to the other wall and grass it but it just looked a bit unfinished and I was a bit concerned about it shifting over time. We’ll put drainage in behind it and tie it into the main drain. It’s also allowed us to widen the driveway by almost a metre. It was a little tight before once we’d built the wheelchair access. Brickies started this morning and back tomorrow. Will be finished by Monday night. 

IMG_0847.jpeg.f202c61a4c96126279b145d194d7f864.jpeg

• Like 2