where to buy ASHP?

Tom

Going a bit cross-eyed looking at Ecodan ASHPs on the internet. I've seen an 8.5kW unit for £2,700 ex-VAT which seems less than others I have found online, but does anyone have any recommendations for where to buy from?

Make sure it includes the FTC controller as that adds a few hundred. The best prices I saw were City Plumbing and SWAT, but they wouldn't ship to Northern Ireland.

I gave up looking for a reasonably priced ecodan package and instead I'm going for a cool energy shop inverter heat pump, buffer and pre-plumbed 300l cylinder for £4800.

Edited by Conor

1 hour ago, Conor said:

Make sure it includes the FTC controller as that adds a few hundred

Yes, very important, especially if you look at Carrier, or rebadged Carrier units.

1 hour ago, Conor said:

a cool energy shop inverter heat pump, buffer and pre-plumbed 300l cylinder for £4800.

Seems a reasonable price, what power it it?

7 hours ago, dpmiller said:

It is Dave, the iVT9 is a pretty impressive unit

Can I ask what is impressive about it? What made you pick that one above, say, an ecodan (apart from Mitsubishi's questionable environmental record, obviously)?

Actually, I have a natural aversion to "brands" in general, knowing how much badge engineering goes on these days. In seriousness tho, it seems one of the major issues wth the snazzy stuff is the controller and manual. The Cool Energy unit has a complete suite of Carel control equipment- inverter, controller, expansion valve, sensors- which are used and understood pretty well in the commercial refrigeration game and is pretty much Plain English to program and operate. It has nice simple inputs and outputs too.

Heating flow at a good COP? check. Useful maximum flow temp? check. Good cooling performance? check. Reasonable warranty? check.

• Thanks 1

This is interesting as we have been quoted £11000 for the supply and install of an Ecodan 8.5kw with 200 litre tank. I have messaged the Cool Energy company to see if they have any installers in my area.

Edited by Happy Valley

• 4 weeks later...

Resurrecting this a bit sorry…

I’m looking at the Cool Energy inverTech Air Source Heat Pump CE-iVT18 8.5kW-18.5kW

its £3500 and seems good and also MCS accredited. 5yr warranty. seen some people on here who are ambivalent to them but maybe recent spec had changed?

https://coolenergyshop.com/collections/inverter-heat-pump/products/copy-of-cool-energy-invertech-air-source-heat-pump-ce-ivt18-8-5kw-18-6kw

what downsides am I missing?

27 minutes ago, CotswoldDoItUpper said:

what downsides am I missing

There is, in the spec sheet, only one temperature (A7) and one CoP.

Is there a proper chart somewhere showing the CoP over a decent temperature range i.e. -15°C to +25°C?

I wired a Cool Energy ASHP a couple of years ago.  My only criticism was the customer, against my advice,  bought the very cheapest version without an inverter and the controls flexibility was poor, e.g. it would only do HW and heating at the same temperature.

Also last winter, we had the coldest spell I remember where it got to -17 one night.  My LG ASHP did not bat an eyelid but this Cool Energy one shut down that night with an error message which translated to "too cold"

I would definitely buy an inverter driven version but I have no experience of those.

I have a Coolenergy CE -iVT9 installed. This is the first few months. We removed the bottled gas boiler and installed the ASHP on the radiator system.

I do not know what the results will be but so far so good. It runs quietly and the controls are not too difficult for us to use.20210623_173348.thumb.jpg.a6662d5ed1913de990947a1e3ad15adf.jpg

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

There is, in the spec sheet, only one temperature (A7) and one CoP.

Is there a proper chart somewhere showing the CoP over a decent temperature range i.e. -15°C to +25°C?

MCS list the SCOP at various flow temps plus there's the attached:

CE-iVT9 EN14825 64.181.20.04362.01 Rev.00 TR Performance Pages.pdf

• Thanks 1