Strawberries don't grow on trees....

NSS

Afternoon all, and thank you to whoever validated my registration (I never did receive the email). Anyway, whilst strawberries do not grow on trees, there is such a thing as a Strawberry Tree (Arbutus Unendo), and the very large one on the front corner of our plot inspired the name of our new build - Strawberry Tree Lodge.

Progress is slow but I'm getting there. Indeed, if I don't get there before Xmas I'll either be dead or divorced!

16 hours ago, NSS said:

Progress is slow but I'm getting there. Indeed, if I don't get there before Xmas I'll either be dead or divorced!

Welcome. It's good to see you back!

Progress, as long as you can see it, all's well. Nothing depresses me more than coming on to our site and seeing exactly what I saw last week. That's when I've had my head in a spreadsheet for too long.

• Like 1

Had my head in our spreadsheet last night. Wish I hadn't though as I always have a restless night after seeing just how much money we're haemorrhaging. 

Edited by NSS

On 3 June 2016 at 23:38, NSS said:

Had my head in our spreadsheet last night. Wish I hadn't though as I always have a restless night after seeing just how much money we're haemorrhaging. 

Look on the bright side, one day you'll run out of money but at least you'll have stopped haemorrhaging it :)

I met someone last night who told me he doesn't need much money to live because he doesn't have a car, kids or a mortgage and I realised...

shit, I've got 2 each of all of them.

The other brightside is something my late father in law (a good friend) said to me around 20 years ago, not long after he retired from BA.  He'd been surprised by how much his outgoings dropped when he retired.  I didn't really believe it, but have found it's spot on. 

My gross "pay" dropped by around 48% when I took early retirement (at 58).  However, my net income only dropped by around 33%, and that was pretty much balanced by reduced outgoings associated with work, so I ended up no worse off.  Had I not been haemorrhaging money on the new  build we'd have been in pretty much the same position as when I was working.

If we all worked 4 days a week only, we would all be better off, and reduce transport costs by about 20%.

When I introduced 4 day weeks at my factory 25 years ago there was great resistance to it, even though the 'lads' had to work for 1.5 hours a week less for the same money.

Productivity shot up, factory costs went down and eventually people became happier.

Edited by SteamyTea