Sloped drive/ gates job.

zoothorn

C,mon @zoothorn you know you can, think of the stuff you have done before eh?. And felt proud.

1/ do you need to keep dogs out/in (therefore little gap underneath and fairly close boarded)

2/ you need to measure how slopey it is (using a spirit level giving difference in height across the gate entrance, gatepost to gate post)

3/ you need to measure the slope under the gates when they are open (same using spirit level and measuring height differences.)

get this down on paper, CAD would be good (crayon assisted drawing ?) and post here then we will all come up with different solutions for you ?

Edited by joe90

11 hours ago, Cpd said:

Just buy some creosote treated timber gate posts from your local agricultural fencing supply company. Will last 25+ years. 

That's a good shout actually. Get em in and it gives you a basis to go from. Something to stare at and plan. Some bfo ones like 200mm square I would.  Defines your entrance boundary too. Might have a psychological effect on your neighbours...

You been through the hole digging process before with your riverbank adventures so shouldn't be a drama. 

On 16/07/2021 at 14:02, markc said:

Honestly, forget about the different slopes and geometry. Standard gates are cheaper etc. but if you want bespoke gates to fit the hole, be that 50/50 75/25 60/40 etc. then it really makes no difference to lining them up.

Measure and draw out the shape of the opening to work with the sloping floor. Split the gates where you want to split to be. 

Have the gates made to this design.

Get the gates and offer them upto the slope with required gap underneath, measure amount the hinges need to rise, get hinges made to this rise. 

Ive done hundreds of them in the past.

Hi markc. But how can I forget about the slope l to r? If I put a pair of standard gates in, I'll have a 1 ft gap below the lhs gate. And half a foot gap at the join. I cant see this as being correct. If one purpose of the gates is preventing cats strolling on.. I need them to be fairly decently placed relative to the ground. I mean a 4" gap perhaps.

Is this just not possible then?

Until I can get my head around this lateral slope, I can't think how a pair of standard gates can be used. Unless their shape is retrofitted, or something. I dont know.

All the advice is relating to the slope running towards the gates, rather than perpendicular/ laterally, across the gates. I can understand the funny hinges negate a slope running towards the gates, (fairly simple to understand: & my slope this way isn't perhaps needing such hinges being fairly shallow, certainly not needied at all on the lhs gate post, if this gate is hanging a full 1 ft off the ground). But the lateral slope.. seems to be much more of a problem.

thanks zh

9 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

If one purpose of the gates is preventing cats strolling on.. I need them to be fairly decently placed relative to the ground. I mean a 4" gap perhaps.

Erm...cats climb! ?

An electric fence is about the only thing that'll stop them. 

Maybe have the pedestrian gate "normal" and the main gain bottom following the slope and on rising hinges?

1626598568832-101813908.thumb.jpg.15a198bdb144885394f329178a3b146d.jpg

@zoothorn, good morning. I agree if you want to fill a weird shaped hole then standard gates would not fill the gap completely, I was referring to bespoke gates to fit the hole.

You can use standard gates by adding a fixed or hinged (upwards) triangular infill panel at the bottom to fill the open part. 
the shape of the gate makes no difference to the rising hinge system.

It's quite common to have a standard gate with a shaped bottom panel, often mesh of some sort. Mainly to stop pets escaping.

I reckon you could figure a mechanism to lift / hinge the infill panel out of the way as the gate opens...

On 16/07/2021 at 19:56, joe90 said:

C,mon @zoothorn you know you can, think of the stuff you have done before eh?. And felt proud.

1/ do you need to keep dogs out/in (therefore little gap underneath and fairly close boarded)

2/ you need to measure how slopey it is (using a spirit level giving difference in height across the gate entrance, gatepost to gate post)

3/ you need to measure the slope under the gates when they are open (same using spirit level and measuring height differences.)

get this down on paper, CAD would be good (crayon assisted drawing ?) and post here then we will all come up with different solutions for you ?

I have no problem with dogs roaming on, none. There are no roaming dogs here Ive not seen 1 in 5 years. My disgusting human n'bors roam on, bringing dog faeces (within a bag because noone's going to handle dog muck.. & placed where they choose to deposit it: 4 years of this: but thankfully stopping on a dime at the exact juncture of a police visit to this creep couple, oct last year, about these faeces appearances. On a dime the deposits stopped: so I think you can deduce the blindingly obvious from this as to who has been responsible for it). Humans and cats the gates are to prevent. I cannot stop them tho throwing dog sh* t over the gate ( they've thrown before, my car covered in it one morning).. so gates are not a solution: even if its 8 ft high solid, barbed wire topped, the cat might be prevented, but if the creeps are still intent - which their behaviour's proven them to be harrassing me for 4 yrs in all manner of ways & continuosly- they can still throw it over, tucking in behind a hedge to negate any cctv I might have forked out £500 on. So In a way I can never win with these utter creeps.. unless one night I just chance upon one of them with a handheld infrared video camera at 3am. Unlikely.

Unfortunately though I had a theft: coinciding precisely with the last sudden appearance of dog crap mid drive (within 3 mins I was out of sight of my window overlooking drive- so I was being monitored by them & an infuriating opportunistic brazen nip-onto-his-drive-again happens- both something appears/ something disappears) garden equipment goes missing from my (open) car boot. Mid drive, within minutes of the dog sh*t appearing. 2m away from it. Wow, what a coincidence, I wonder who could possibly be responsible. But of course I cannot prove it. And they know this, it's part of their 4 year game to infuriate & harrass me.

Sorry.. have to get this infuriation off my chest now & then. Zh

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Erm...cats climb! ?

An electric fence is about the only thing that'll stop them. 

Maybe have the pedestrian gate "normal" and the main gain bottom following the slope and on rising hinges?

1626598568832-101813908.thumb.jpg.15a198bdb144885394f329178a3b146d.jpg

Hi Onoff..thanks, this is what I was sort of visualising ( but lhs gate the smaller one).

So does this shape mean a bespoke made-for gate though? Or a standard one modified? i have no idea.

I think maybe start by getting the two posts in, & consider from then on, or I will never figure out a plan beforehand.

( no, the gates will not stop a cat.. but might prevent it, even if half the time; & gates will not stop someone opening them, roaming onto my property & putting things on/ removing things either.. but might prevent this too/ a deterrance of some form in both cases: you wouldn't say though "well theres no point putting up gates then", there'd still be reason to put them in).

Edited by zoothorn

Unless your post position is fixed then get the gates first and put posts in to suit. Much easier than finding gates to fit the space needed.

you can modify a standard gate by adding apiece to the bottom

2 hours ago, markc said:

Unless your post position is fixed then get the gates first and put posts in to suit. Much easier than finding gates to fit the space needed.

you can modify a standard gate by adding apiece to the bottom

Hi markc.. that makes alot of sense to me.  Good thats a starting point. But with the limited choice out here, delivery etc, Ill be fluking it if I find a 75/ 25 or any combination the correct size tho, will g9 see what's available 1 st up then.

19 hours ago, dpmiller said:

no farm suppliers even? Cheap tubular field gates, and then fence boards Tek-screwed on would work well.

Hi dpm.. its an idea, but I do want to have a pair of timber gates as they do look much better. But its certainly the cheap option. 

thanks. Zh

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

Hi there joe.. thanks but you wouldn't believe the limited no. of shops we have out here, there wouldn't be one for 100 miles. No unfortunately I have only 1 place/ option here for timber gates, as they'll need to be delivered. Farm place.

Ok just been/ they have 6ft gates.. & two will fit perfectly in fact. I think I'll just have to simplify this job by getting these, & hanging straight/ via normal hinges & put up with (or rejig the gates low side) the gap below, or over time maybe fettle the driveway flatter.

The tilting hinges.. I just don't like Ive decided: they look too weirdto me. And if one is set 1 ft high anyway due to the lateral slope, then this one doesnt warrant odd hinges anyway. One gate rising weirdly, the other normal? Hmm.. I don't think so.

Front view.

Between markers = 12 ft. So, Id lose 1 ft if I went 8 ft  / 3 ft pair, (although I liked the " 25%"  small gate idea like PeterW suggested).

As I have to back-in, already often seems a bit tight between my two bushes for some reason on occasions.. constricting to 11 ft would cause problems. So I have no choice than go 6 ft / 6 ft I think.

But do I have enough room to put my posts in I wonder?

4CAF18FC-C16C-458F-9699-87C2C5A67547.jpeg

If gates will only open one way then you can mount hinges on the inside or outside face to save space. If gates will swing either way then allow approx. 3 inches space between gate and post for the hinge