Induction Hob Envy

8 minutes ago, pocster said:

Elica Tesla is what you want like I have ?

How are you getting on with it ? swimbo has her eyes on one and i like the idea as its going in an island unit with a high ceiling and will remove the need to find a solution for the extractor hood.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buzz said:

How are you getting on with it ? swimbo has her eyes on one and i like the idea as its going in an island unit with a high ceiling and will remove the need to find a solution for the extractor hood.  

?

Only boiled a saucepan of water with it so far . It’s in a temporary kitchen in the unfinished house . Be a few months before we move in and really use it .

• Like 2

I think it is very easy to buy kitchen equipment just for show and then not use it.

I fancied four ovens because it looks good and see this a lot in houses but in reality couldn’t imagine ever needing four ovens so we have two.

The kitchen company originally designed our kitchen with Gaggenau built in fridge and freezer at around £6k each. I changed to much more standard ones at about £1k each, still not cheap.

We are of course all guilty of buying things we don’t need because we fancy them and everyone is entitled to spend their own money as they see fit. As long as this is the case these very helpful companies will come up with lovely looking things for us to spend our money on.

Edited by AliG

26 minutes ago, AliG said:

I think it is very easy to buy kitchen equipment just for show and then not use it.

I fancied four ovens because it looks good and see this a lot in houses but in reality couldn’t imagine ever needing four ovens so we have two.

The kitchen company originally designed our kitchen with Gaggenau built in fridge and freezer at around £6k each. I changed to much more standard ones at about £1k each, still not cheap.

We are of course all guilty of buying things we don’t need because we fancy them and everyone is entitled to spend their own money as they see fit. As long as this is the case these very helpful companies will come up with lovely looking things for us to spend our money on.

I cook loads . My justification for anything is if I use it a lot it’s worth the cost . I’ll buy expensive trainers ( not because they are expensive) wear then for everything and knacker them in 6 months .

Kitchen stuff is ‘ special ‘ in my opinion . If you intend to live in it and can afford it get what you want provided you use it .

Reminds me of a self build show I went to in Birmingham many years ago . There was a gorgeous looking sponsored Nigela kitchen cabinet . Looked fab . I asked the sales guy how much ? . He said 8k . He then said “ you didn’t flinch , so you can afford it “ . I said no (expletive deleted)ing chance and walked away . Nice or not 8k for a cupboard just doesn’t sound like value for money too me . If the mrs bubbly big N came to my house to install it I would of handed over 100k on the spot ; and required new pants instantly.

Edited by pocster
Big N

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Buy a toaster 

The price is low enough, but the cost of burning toast is very high. Sets the alarms off and you have to clear out 50 diners.

Fitting a better alarm system was a higher price, but much lower cost, so better value.

In Aberdeen, before the last oil slump, I knew of a few people that fit £100k+ kitchens because that was what was expected in their sort of social circle. They did not really cook and quite often the next person to buy the house would rip the kitchen out and stick a new one in.

It all went along with the white Range Rover for the wife on the school run, Aston to drive to the office and Mini Cooper for the young bit on the side. 

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

The price is low enough, but the cost of burning toast is very high. Sets the alarms off and you have to clear out 50 diners.

Fitting a better alarm system was a higher price, but much lower cost, so better value.

Or stop doing toast perhaps 

5 hours ago, AliG said:

We have 4 ovens, all Neff

Top left is a combi microwave / oven. Top right is a steam oven.

Bottom left is a standard size oven, hide & slide door. Bottom right is another standard size oven, hide & slide door.

Plan was that the bottom right oven was reserved for baking and was the highest specced - digital, super accurate etc, bottom left was a cheaper version for everyday use.

When ordered, the cheap one was out of stock so we got a free upgrade to the fancy version, so now have two the same.

Also turns out that both of these ovens have a steam function which makes the steam oven somewhat redundant.

So the two left hand ovens get used all the time. Steam oven is now known as the broccoli oven as that's all that has ever been cooked in it. 'Fancy' oven mostly contains the shelves and trays from the other 3 ovens. Occasionally used for baking bread.

When we do xmas dinner for 12, we manage to use them all but I suspect life would have been just as good with two.

However, looks nice.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

We have 4 ovens...

I love spare ovens because they work even when they aren't working. The stuff you can hide in an oven: pots, pans, left-overs (found some Christmas cake t'other day)   . . . 

maybe not chocolate treats though 

Just now, ToughButterCup said:

I love spare ovens because they work even when they aren't working. The stuff you can hide in an oven: pots, pans, left-overs (found some Christmas cake t'other day)   . . . 

Perhaps in my final kitchen I should have no cupboards just rows of ovens .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Hmm, teenagers always eating our treat stash so given they never cook, oven is ideal hiding place!

My Mrs did a lot of research into IH with extractors and her conclusion was the extractors where pretty useless (and very expensive) - I have no first hand experience personally. We went with a really nice IH without extractor in the end (https://ao.com/product/ex975lvv1e-siemens-iq700-induction-hob-black-68119-39.aspx) which we both love and I positioned 2 MVHR extraction points above the island each side (3m apart). Any smells are gone very quickly, and since we've been in, not once have I thought "I wish I had an extractor". My MVHR might be somewhat oversized though as in 'normal' speed it does 225m3/h (min regs for our house is 191m3/h)

Edited by gc100
  • Like 2