Hypothetical question.

Big Jimbo

If you own a house that is say 10m wide x 10m deep, and you wanted to add insulation to the outside say a 75mm wrap on all sides. You would be increasing the size of your house to 10.150 wide x 10.150m deep. I believe that you could do this without planning permission. ie: under permitted devl rights.

If however you had permission to build a new house at 10m x 10m and had all you building reg drawings etc done, and although the new house would meet building regs you had a thought about making it even better for future generations. So you looked at putting an extra 75mm  wrap of insulation around the outside. This would enable you to smash the current building regs and get quite near to passive levels of insulation.

How would it be best to approach this ?

1. Just do it, and risk somebody spotting your house is slightly bigger than it's permission.

2. Have a word with the planning officer, and see if you can do it as a small amendment (Non material amentment) ????

3. Go back in for planning. (not an option due to objections and having to go to committee)

4. Not bother, and just build it to regs.

I don't want to add it to the inside due to reducing the floor area

Ant thoughts ???

Cheers folks

Just do it!!! Nobody is ever going to notice that a house is a few mm wider than planned. Unless you are in a really tight spot and say, a metre from a boundary.

We did exactly that by changing ICF suppliers and having a block that's 50mm wider once we got the extra insulation on.

• Like 1

Just now, DevilDamo said:

Would the proposed EWI have a different finish to the existing house? If so, that would require Planning as the proposed materials would not be of a similar appearance.

No the external finish would be the same as the planning permission, just the extra insulation would make the house slightly bigger.

2 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

No the external finish would be the same as the planning permission, just the extra insulation would make the house slightly bigger.

Oh ok. I was actually referring to the first option/scenario of your post.

JFDI here, you have the environment on your side. You can get David Attenborough, Greta Thunberg and Joe Biden on your defence team if it ever comes to court. ( I would have added Boris to your team as well but he is very expensive and frankly not very reliable.) 

• Haha 1

Would it come under the same idea that you built the house and you built the permitted development extension at the same time?

Or is this not allowed?

Edited by Marvin
Missed a word

8 hours ago, Marvin said:

Would it come under the same idea that you built the house and you built the permitted development extension at the same time?

Or is this not allowed?

Permitted devl rights are removed in my case when the new house is built .

8 hours ago, Marvin said:

you built the permitted development extension at the same time?

as far as I know permitted development rights (if you still have them) are only allowed  after completion. I was surprised after my successful planning fight/appeal that my permitted development rights were not removed. Then again the appeal officers comments about the local planners not abiding about their own policies was so scathing perhaps they thought better of it!!,!