What has Doris mercilessly destroyed for you?

Is it really a crack in the hull?  If so, then same question as Dave, how's it still floating to its lines?

I'm wondering if it could be a twig from that branch, rather than a crack - it's hard to see clearly from the photo, but right at the waterline it looks a bit like a twig.

took half a dozen photos and cannot tell for sure on any. But the twig/crack goes from water line and across roof. i thought boats were full of foam. My old speed boat was.

either way i would be a bit upset. There are about 40 boats along that stretch of the Thames. It would be why mine 

3 minutes ago, dogman said:

Thames at Pangbourne Berkshire

Then the sail boat won't go far either way before having to drop the mast. A bit of a pointless place to keep a sail boat unless you are happy to short tack up and down the same short bit of river, or have a very eficcient way to drop it regularly (think Norfolk Broads sail boats with counter ballanced masts)

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

A tree up here came down a bit like that a few years ago.  I cut off all the smaller branches that were hanging down and then people with small cars were driving underneath it, until someone with a bigger chain saw than me came along.

Its still there. The local council have closed the road and are "assessing the risk of removing it!"........FFS!

16 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

Its still there. The local council have closed the road and are "assessing the risk of removing it!"........FFS!

That's barking mad, isn't it?  Back in 1987, the morning after the "Great Storm", there were trees down across roads, power cables etc all over the South West.  My brother had recently started his own landscape gardening and tree surgery business, and first got a call from SWEB (as they were then) to ask if he could cut away some fallen trees for them ASAP. 

He spent the next week working around the clock cutting up fallen trees, and not only got paid a fairly hefty premium for the work, but he got to keep most of the timber.  It filled the Dutch barn and we had tree trunks lining the rear drive up to the farm on both sides (the drive's around a quarter of a mile long) for a year or so afterwards.  It was the start of his firewood business; I think he had about two or three years worth of firewood stock, free of charge, from that one storm.  Not a bad kick-start for his new business.  I'm pretty sure there were no risk assessments, he was just being asked to go from one emergency to another, practically non-stop, and I know he removed a fair few fallen trees that were blocking lanes.

Edited by JSHarris

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Then the sail boat won't go far either way before having to drop the mast. A bit of a pointless place to keep a sail boat unless you are happy to short tack up and down the same short bit of river, or have a very eficcient way to drop it regularly (think Norfolk Broads sail boats with counter ballanced masts)

No.

This is Berkshire, where the berks live (and where I used to work).

It is a floating version of the Range Rovers which use their peerless 4WD off road go-up-a-cliff-backwards-under-the-guidance-of-an-intelligent-drivetrain to get the tins of tuna for Tibbles from Waitrose.

There is an engine and the mast is for literal virtue-signalling, like the waders they wear when changing the water in the goldfish bowl.

Edited by Ferdinand

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

If the tree has bats do they leave it there until someone has installed a bat-sanctuary in the adjacent field?

Don't get me started!

On the plus side it is just past the closest pup to where I live. If it had blocked my route to the pub I would have set fire to it by now :)

Just now, Barney12 said:

Don't get me started!

On the plus side it is just past the closest pup to where I live. If it had blocked my route to the pub I would have set fire to it by now :)

TBH it looks high enough to move that small chunk in the middle of the carriageway and drive under.

Good tree, though. Greenpeace will be crying into their watercress-juice at the loss of habitat for beatles.

On 24/02/2017 at 15:43, Barney12 said:

The local council have closed the road and are "assessing the risk of removing it!"........FFS!

Old friend of mine's brother died cutting up trees after the 1987 storm.

Sometimes it is better to "assessing the risk of removing it!"........FFS!