Opinions on induction hobs

vivienz

Just goes down the drain. Again 5 years of abuse at the hands of my family and no issues at all.

I know some people compost which is great, but it is so convenient. Left overs, vegetable peel, eggs shells, tea bags. It takes everything we throw at it.

I presume that food waste is broken down by biological action when the water is treated so don't believe there are any environmental concerns, although I haven't confirmed that.

Certain foods rattle around and don't break up, onion skins for example seem to slide across the grinders and half lemons. But it takes pretty much everything. Just be sensible and don't put fat down it.

Edited by AliG

I'd never heard of a BioDisc. But having Googled it, I found something saying you need to get a larger unit to cope with the extra waste. Compost might be simpler in this scenario.

I looked up environmental impact of waste disposal units and it seems they are considered better than landfill for food waste, but not as good as composting. It depends to some extent on whether the water treatment plant uses anaerobic digestion and then collects any methane. Also they do considerably increase your water usage. In Scotland this isn't something I am too concerned about, but you may be in other areas.

We've got a Hot Bin composter.  It's like an insulated compost bin and reaches temperatures high enough that you can compost pretty much any kitchen waste (it gets up to about 60C).  I layer up the kitchen waste with shredded waste paper (all the junk mail and surplus paper) and just keep on putting the stuff in.  It rots down quickly enough to rarely get full.  It cost about £130 (they might be a bit more now) and I'd certainly recommend them.  It's about the size of a tall washing machine.  Even during the recent cold spell, it did its thing and whenever I opened the lid to add more, it was all steamy and full of wriggly worms inside.

Think of it as the passivhaus equivalent of a compost bin.

Here's a link to one seller:

Hotbin composter

Edited by vivienz
Added link to hotbin supplier

19 minutes ago, vivienz said:

We've got a Hot Bin composter.  It's like an insulated compost bin and reaches temperatures high enough that you can compost pretty much any kitchen waste (it gets up to about 60C).  I layer up the kitchen waste with shredded waste paper (all the junk mail and surplus paper) and just keep on putting the stuff in.  It rots down quickly enough to rarely get full.  It cost about £130 (they might be a bit more now) and I'd certainly recommend them.  It's about the size of a tall washing machine.  Even during the recent cold spell, it did its thing and whenever I opened the lid to add more, it was all steamy and full of wriggly worms inside.

Think of it as the passivhaus equivalent of a compost bin.

Here's a link to one seller:

Hotbin composter

Interesting.  My other half has been on about putting a compost bin near the back door, but I've been resisting it because of the possibility of smells.  Running at that sort of temperature would mean no odour, I suspect.  Looks easy enough to make one, too, with some welded up PVC sheet for the lining, some insulation board around the outside and then some timber cladding to match the house (and I still have some larch boards left over).  I think I'll do some digging around to see if there are any DIY designs around, as it can't be that hard a thing to knock up.

Edited by JSHarris

I'll see if I can take a couple of photos tomorrow.  The bin also has strapping around it and the ability to remove the bottom panels mean that you can take out the finished compost without disturbing the fresher layers.  We were thinking about getting another until recently, but in truth, one more than adequately copes with all our kitchen waste, and we get through an awful lot of fruit and veg.

It's also fantastic for disposing of confidential paperwork - I just shred it up and use it as one of the aerating layers in the bin.  Once it's turned to compost, no ID fraudster will get hold of anything useful for it, unless they can read worm poo.

I should add that once you get the mixture right, it really doesn't smell at all.  A mild boiled cabbage smell when you open the lid, but that's about it.  If it smells bad, you've probably let it get too wet.

Edited by vivienz
Smells

2 hours ago, AliG said:

We love our Quooker also. I hear people say things about reliability, but ours gets a lot of use and we have had it for almost 5 years. I do wonder if the issues are scaling in hard water areas.

At least 6 or 7 people I work beside in London have them. I have never heard a single complaint. Everyone loves them.

Its funny how everyone who has them loves them. Imagine turning up on Dragon's Den with a £1000 alternative to a kettle. Everyone would be out.

We have a separate one at the moment. We will move to a combined one the new house (Fusion) as I just feel it will be easier to clean the worktop around one tap than two.

I have been considering a Quooker Combi. This mixes boiling water with cold to create hot water at the sink and eliminate pipe losses. Our kitchen sink is around 25m from the hot water tank.

Cheapest separate Quooker and 3l tank for under the sink is around £650, you can quickly move up to £1000 and above for the Fusions and larger tanks.

One thing to note is a Quooker is a water heating device, so unlike other kitchen appliances it is VAT free in a new build. The above prices include VAT.

There are many other makes now, some cheaper, some similar. However I don't know anyone with a different kind so it doesn't seem worth changing make when you have had a good experience and the others are a lesser known quantity.

Quooker is really the best of the lot. Well made product with good customer support.

The segment is growing very quickly so there are lots of me too products.

2 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

i had seen they have a lock button but i didn't know they were sprung loaded.... 

next issue is drinking water? I was always told not to drink out of mixer taps, or is that just not a thing anymore?  

Both our hot and cold water come from the same pipe, in effect, and both are potable as there's no cold water tank or hot water tank for any bugs to grow in.  The design of our Itho three way mixer means that water at around 105 deg C flows through a silicone pipe that runs up the centre of the mixer outlet, so very effectively kills any bugs in the thing.  We went for the stainless version, with a pressurised under-plinth heater (hence the higher than 100 deg C output) and it really is brilliant.  Itho do a mixer kit that means you can do away with the hot water feed and get the hot water via a TMV from the boiling water tank and cold feed, but we didn't find out about this until after we'd bought ours. 

I think the combined three way units look a bit neater than the stand-alone boiling water taps, and I wasn't exactly taken with the aesthetics of the Qooker, which is why we went for the Itho.  This is what ours looks like; the normal hot and cold mixer is on the right, the boiling water knob is circular, with the locking button, on the left:

5745715243595_Boilingwatertap.thumb.JPG.1d09f6bd9b6a7f9a2b2f542f57eed5d0.JPG

Edited by JSHarris
  • Like 1

Sorry I'm momentarily bringing this back to induction hobs, we previously had ceramic electric hob- hated. Then moved and put in gas- great. Then moved again...and put in induction and wouldn't have anything else. We chose a silver Siemens hob as picture below, significantly cheaper at Currys (-and more so if u use promotions quidco etc) came in at about £750 two years ago. Mainly chose it for colour and sleekness, placed on an island. Haven't scratched it yet. Did have to part with a couple of pans but most were metal anyway so not an issue- but Siemens themselves had a promotion and sent a very nice large pan/casserole dish so that made up for it. 

Main thing apart from aesthetics, it's fantastically responsive, i am quicker boiling a pan of water than kettle for spuds etc. Only heats pan so safer ...if like me for everything else that gets put on island "catching" . Digital display too...other brands are available but I do really recommend this one, will definitely have same in the new house....or bigger ?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/cooking/hobs/siemens-iq700-flexinduction-eh679mn27e-electric-induction-hob-stainless-steel-10149376-pdt.html?istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=xxptxatiwm&istBid=tztx&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~0103+(PLA)+INTEGRATED+KITCHEN+APPS+CORE~All+Integrated~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&s_kwcid=DS!700000001497114!147017580910!!!g!!PRODUCT+GROUP&device=t&ds_kids=92700015669725844&PLA=1&gclid=CPDvj4epk9ICFRQTGwodoiwIIA&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CPLJtoepk9ICFeWiUQod3DELNQ

IMG_2639.JPG

9 hours ago, ryder72 said:

Quooker is really the best of the lot. Well made product with good customer support.

The segment is growing very quickly so there are lots of me too products.

My friend must be extremely unlucky then. Their own has been dodgy as well as enough they've supplied to warrant his concern.

10 hours ago, Triple07 said:

Sorry I'm momentarily bringing this back to induction hobs, we previously had ceramic electric hob- hated. Then moved and put in gas- great. Then moved again...and put in induction and wouldn't have anything else. We chose a silver Siemens hob as picture below, significantly cheaper at Currys (-and more so if u use promotions quidco etc) came in at about £750 two years ago. Mainly chose it for colour and sleekness, placed on an island. Haven't scratched it yet. Did have to part with a couple of pans but most were metal anyway so not an issue- but Siemens themselves had a promotion and sent a very nice large pan/casserole dish so that made up for it. 

Main thing apart from aesthetics, it's fantastically responsive, i am quicker boiling a pan of water than kettle for spuds etc. Only heats pan so safer ...if like me for everything else that gets put on island "catching" . Digital display too...other brands are available but I do really recommend this one, will definitely have same in the new house....or bigger ?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/cooking/hobs/siemens-iq700-flexinduction-eh679mn27e-electric-induction-hob-stainless-steel-10149376-pdt.html?istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=xxptxatiwm&istBid=tztx&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~0103+(PLA)+INTEGRATED+KITCHEN+APPS+CORE~All+Integrated~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&s_kwcid=DS!700000001497114!147017580910!!!g!!PRODUCT+GROUP&device=t&ds_kids=92700015669725844&PLA=1&gclid=CPDvj4epk9ICFRQTGwodoiwIIA&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CPLJtoepk9ICFeWiUQod3DELNQ

IMG_2639.JPG

Thank you - I need look no further for my hob -  that looks the biz in silver. Going for the 5 zone. :-) 

• Like 1

What are thoughts on flexi-induction zones?

There’s a significant premium for them and frankly I don’t think we’ve ever really needed the function. Just glad I put my foot down and we have a normal centre ‘ring’ and 2 flexi zones on the 5 ring hob rather than the 3 flexi zones which would have cost even more than it already did. In fact, the first time she tried to use the flexi zone with a rectangular oven tray,(one of the supposed benefits) she burned the non-stick off the tray in some places.

It wasn't until I started using induction that I realised how much cleaner they are kept than other hobs. the salesmen always tell you that but I never took any notice. When you use it though, you really notice how easy it is to keep spotless and not covered in dried on crud.

FWIW, we did have some suitable pans anyway as we had been cooking on a standalone portable single ring induction hob for 8 months (which is what converted us to induction) but Neff also supplied some reasonable pans with the hob.

26 minutes ago, daiking said:

When you use it though, you really notice how easy it is to keep spotless and not covered in dried on crud.

Yep.  And the fact that it's all so obvious means there's a real incentive to spend those few seconds keeping it clean every day! 

• 2 months later...
On 2/16/2017 at 11:12, jamiehamy said:

Thank you - I need look no further for my hob -  that looks the biz in silver. Going for the 5 zone. :-) 

So I phoned up for this yesterday only to be told it was discontinued - the story of our lives at the moment for many things! The 'main' retailer selling this told me to phone Siemens to find out if they were replacing it. I phoned another online retailer and he knew right away it was discontinued but told me to hang on the line - and got me the new version of it. WIth 3 free pans!

Apparently it's being delivered via 'white glove' courier. 

Kitchen arrives tomorrow. 

Edited by jamiehamy
typo
  • Like 2

Swell! John Lewis had the 5 zone (or perhaps the replacement)  on display last week, looked great! 

I got a large stainless steel pan from Siemens when I bought the hob in the smaller version and it is a great pan....yup I too got excited over a pan, I may just phone them direct for my new kitchen order, 3pans could just tip me over the edge ?

• Like 1

On pots and pans for induction, we bought this set from John Lewis just over a year ago.  I've just written a review (which may not appear for a bit apparently) on the JL website, but short version is that the exposed aluminium along the top edge of all the saucepans appears to have eroded, possibly due to the dishwasher.  The result is a pair of thin stainless steel edges sticking up.  The inner one is very thin, so is very sharp - so sharp that it cleanly sliced off a layer of skin the other night while I was wiping it out!

It's out of stock online at the moment, but I'd caution against buying this set in-store or if it becomes available online again.

So this is interesting.  I gave the product one star, and provided a detailed basis for my score along the lines of what I wrote above.  

I've just received an email from John Lewis with the following:

"Thank you for your recent product review. 

Your feedback is very important to us, but we're sorry that we had to reject your review on this occasion and won't be posting it on johnlewis.com. We do take safety issues very seriously, and our Customer Services team will be in touch with you on this matter if you haven't already contacted us by other means.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review,

Customer Reviews team
John Lewis"

O.o  

John Lewis is the last company I'd expect to reject (ie, censor) negative reviews!