Washing machine raised units

Adam E

I was looking at doing this a while ago (ended up doing standard under-counter due to complications fitting the consumer unit etc in as well) .. I thought the easiest option was to make something on site.. this was my inspiration: 

2A256A34-C8E0-4591-9342-BCEFA3B57BBF.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

I couldn’t remember where I saw it previously.. a quick google returned this ?:

Our elevated washing machine is still installed in the "site workers laundry facility" ex. garden shed. Now even more convinced a small plinth makes all the difference (90mm high).

45 minutes ago, Russdl said:

We are looking to do the same thing. The boss spotted these Alba Interiors I'm more inclined to go down the 'bodge it up myself' root and the link that you posted @Adam E has what can only be described as a video tutorial of how to do it ?

Just make sure the machine cannot shuffle forward off its plinth, I have to reposition mine every other month. See the @Jeremy Harris incident reported in the old thread.

I take it all the people recommending a raised washing machine, are not actually the person that will be lumbered with the job of lifting the machine up there are they?  That will be A N Other's problem?

• Like 1

safety measure along front of shelf maybe just a strip of timber securely fixed.

My wife is not so tall and I'm very flexible so will maybe stick to low level washing machine but maybe drier above it 

On 08/03/2021 at 21:25, ProDave said:

I take it all the people recommending a raised washing machine, are not actually the person that will be lumbered with the job of lifting the machine up there are they?  That will be A N Other's problem?

The man who built his own house and erected his own scaffolding considers raising a washing machine 6" a lift too far? That's odd.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This will be the engineer that in the past probably delivered to top floor flats etc.

let’s not make a drama out of nothing.

small plinth made level and machine pulled onto that, couple of breeze blocks and a bit of wood.

It wasn't a 6" step that bothers me, you can tilt it and walk it up onto that on your own.  It was the idea of putting it up almost at worktop height.

The issue is I cannot lift a WM that high on my own, 2 strong people could do it but I am only one not so strong old person with SWMBO not being up to lifting half the weight of a WM so every time you want to lift it up or down onto it's elevated spot you need to find a strong willing helper or pay someone.

I don't like the idea of "building in" the need to get someone else in to help me maintain something.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

It wasn't a 6" step that bothers me, you can tilt it and walk it up onto that on your own.  It was the idea of putting it up almost at worktop height.

The issue is I cannot lift a WM that high on my own, 2 strong people could do it but I am only one not so strong old person with SWMBO not being up to lifting half the weight of a WM so every time you want to lift it up or down onto it's elevated spot you need to find a strong willing helper or pay someone.

I don't like the idea of "building in" the need to get someone else in to help me maintain something.

That makes sense, however my current w/m is about 90mm high in the shed which is beneficial. Think I will opt for 150mm in the finished house. 

A tumble dryer at 900mm high seems practical.

Also worth bearing in mind for people that normally "get a man in" to fix the washing machine, if it is up high and needs lifting out it will be "get 2 men in"

Yes a low platform that you can walk it up onto single handed would work.