Long term UFH problems: please help :-(

jonpaul31

1 hour ago, Temp said:

You might also consider talking to a solicitor if the NHBC can't help. If there is sound insulation over the pipes then someone has been negligent. Keep the reports you have had done and possibly get an expert to comment specifically on the sound insulation issue.

Good advice. Thanks Temp.

23 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Do you know who the architect was.  Maybe a search on the planning portal may reveal a drawing with the architects name on it.

I don’t. Again, it must be in my property file I received when I moved in so I will check later after work. 

Just spoke to NHBC and they only help rectify complaints with builders (at least for heating) for the first 2 years. They said it is now solicitor job. Although, if the builder does not have an active office, what good will that do. I could always contact freeholder as pretty sure my lease states my flat is everything above floor and below ceilings. Could be worth a pop. I tell ya, this has been one big balls up. I think the builder was puposefully obstructive.

It might be worth paying a joiner to come and cut a trap in the bedroom to see exactly what the floor construction is, but it's not a job I would volunteer for because it has to be done very carefully.  Cut too deep and you might end up with a big flood when you discover the UFH pipes are in fact touching the bottom of the floor boards and you have just cut through one.  It needs a plunge cut saw with the depth stop accurately set to just a little under the thickness of the floor boards.

Check his Public Liability insurance before he starts.

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Cut too deep and you might end up with a big flood

reminds me of a job I did, set plunge saw to thickness of floorboards, cut, flood. Bloody plumber had recessed a 22mm copper pipe 18mm into the joist and chiselled the back of the floorboard to go over it.?. Customer was very good and realised I could not have known, she claimed on her house insurance .   So beware!!!

32 minutes ago, ProDave said:

^^^ That is why I am not volunteering.  It would be more "complicated" if you flooded the flat below.

May be s way to sort the problem.

Cause a decent leak, flat beneath will need to have ceiling removed. Then the problems can be sorted out.

Edited by SteamyTea

Hahaha. I like the idea of flooding my neighbour as he is an arse ?. Whatever I do now has to be careful. Any paper trail might come back to bite me if I sell and the problem still exists- you have to declare whether heating works now. Although I could say if the problem is queried that it works but I wanted nicer carpet and sacrificed that against warmth, or at least the efficiency of that warmth. End of the day it’s up to me what I put on my floor. 

Edited by jonpaul31

3 hours ago, jonpaul31 said:

Although I could say if the problem is queried that it works but I wanted nicer carpet and sacrificed that against warmth, or at least the efficiency of that warmth. End of the day it’s up to me what I put on my floor. 

It's up to you but you've got to live with yourself and I'd always play with a straight bat when it comes to issues of honesty. What goes around comes around and all that. At least you've got a slight chance of seeking a remedy here, whereas your buyer wouldn't have any (unless they tried to persue you of course!). 

Edited by MJNewton

3 hours ago, jonpaul31 said:

Hahaha. I like the idea of flooding my neighbour as he is an arse ?. Whatever I do now has to be careful. Any paper trail might come back to bite me if I sell and the problem still exists- you have to declare whether heating works now. Although I could say if the problem is queried that it works but I wanted nicer carpet and sacrificed that against warmth, or at least the efficiency of that warmth. End of the day it’s up to me what I put on my floor. 

Bit of a shitty thing to do to a potential buyer imo.  A bit like flogging a car with a fault you know about - not cool.

Yes you are right- totally. However, one can sell a property for many reasons eg if one was to lose their job and couldn’t afford to stay there. I was being slightly facetious but it didn’t  translate well in writing- guess I was just writing allowed without thinking about the interpretation. In fact it has been suggested above that I cut losses and sell which I don’t want to do for the reasons you state. I wouldn’t have started this thread in the first place if that was indeed the case.  

11 hours ago, jonpaul31 said:

Just spoke to NHBC and they only help rectify complaints with builders (at least for heating) for the first 2 years.

If you reported this issue to the builder within the first 2 years, and can evidence that with paperwork etc, then the NHBC are still on the hook to deal with it. I had a few dealings with NHBC some years ago and raising issues within the first 2 years was always the critical element.

11 hours ago, jonpaul31 said:

They said it is now solicitor job.

Maybe they meant you need a solicitor to force the NHBC to do something!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jonpaul31 said:

Yes you are right- totally. However, one can sell a property for many reasons eg if one was to lose their job and couldn’t afford to stay there. I was being slightly facetious but it didn’t  translate well in writing- guess I was just writing allowed without thinking about the interpretation. In fact it has been suggested above that I cut losses and sell which I don’t want to do for the reasons you state. I wouldn’t have started this thread in the first place if that was indeed the case.  

Absolutely, and I wasn't judging. Indeed I'd be lying if I said similar thoughts wouldn't cross my own mind, even if I subsequently ruled them out as 'tempting but not quite right'!