Offloading materials

Normally if the delivery vehicle is capable of offloading, then they don't charge for doing that- in my experience anyway.

It can be handy to have a digger on site for offloading.

Failing that, is there anybody with machinery nearby, e.g. a farmer with a telehandler?

What materials are you talking about?

I can't think of anything I have had delivered that had any particular issue.  Timber, blocks,  tiles, insulation, even the doors and windows all came on lorries equipped to unload, with either a hiab, or in the case of the insulation on pallets, one of those trucks that carried a fork lift truck around on the back.

(we were warned with the windows to provide unloading facilities, and had the builder on hand to provide a teleporter if needed but the truck turned up with a hiab so not needed)

And I never needed to use my digger as a crane for any of it.

We were lucky with the windows. Originally we were told it was Rationel's own wagon delivering them, and that had no offload facilities (hence the builders being ready to fetch the telehandler) but as it happened they split the load in Cumbernauld and ours came up by a local haulier on a truck with a hiab.

30 minutes ago, Crofter said:

Normally if the delivery vehicle is capable of offloading, then they don't charge for doing that- in my experience anyway.

It can be handy to have a digger on site for offloading.

Failing that, is there anybody with machinery nearby, e.g. a farmer with a telehandler?

I'll have a digger on site but if something is on pallets, how could I lift it? Will the digger arm even be high enough :(

I'm totally new to the area so no idea who's who and who would own a telenhandler

19 minutes ago, ProDave said:

What materials are you talking about?

Well the company who quoted me the £95 was for the 411 L bars i need in the foundations. I've emailed them to find out if they are on pallets (which I assume they would be)

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Just about every farmer has access to a telehandler. do you know any farmers?

You can get forks for a digger. Not perfect but may be handy.

Nope, as I said, new to the area and only know a few neighbours.

I posted ages ago about forks for a digger and the general feeling was they are quite difficult to use. IIRC because they were in reverse and also quite jerky on a digger

1 minute ago, Vijay said:

Well the company who quoted me the £95 was for the 411 L bars i need in the foundations. I've emailed them to find out if they are on pallets (which I assume they would be)

Find out if they are on pallets and is it an open truck? If so a digger with slings will lift them (headroom hay be an issue e.g for a curtain sider)

24 minutes ago, ProDave said:

we were warned with the windows to provide unloading facilities, and had the builder on hand to provide a teleporter if needed but the truck turned up with a hiab so not needed)

Cripes and I thought star trek was science fiction when all while the local builders merchants have been teleporting stuff all over the district.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Nope, as I said, new to the area and only know a few neighbours.

I posted ages ago about forks for a digger and the general feeling was they are quite difficult to use. IIRC because they were in reverse and also quite jerky on a digger

I think forks would have been a bit poor on my little digger that tended to be a bit jerky in some movements. But our builders had forks for their big machine, and also a long boom extension  to use it as a crane with quite respectable reach, and that all seemed very smooth on a nice modern machine.  Thinking about it, that was one delivery that needed unloading provision, the big beams for the roof. Big ridge beam lifted straight off the lorry and up onto the roof. ridge_beam_2.thumb.jpg.7bc0d4e8aac3e55a6db3182716d2c07e.jpg

I made sure everything came on either a HIAB(windows, timber, blocks,  beans) , or had a tail lift(rubber, heat recovery equipment etc),  or was able to be hand balled(icf, insulation cladding etc). 

Actually the hiab was a deal breaker for Windows - our site would have meant a forklift wouldn't have been suitable. In hindsight,  glad I stuck to my guns. We got roof beams off loaded with a tractor with forks but never again - would just hand ball them - 27kgs each. 

Concrete all went in with a pump.

One reason I gave Jewsons so much business was that delivery is always free and always with HIAB.  

37 minutes ago, Vijay said:

411 L bars. 

Climb on back of truck cut strapping throw on floor. 

Send truck on its way. 

Pick them up put in barrow. 

How big is your digger. I would be very careful picking anything up with a small digger as the lifting capacity is very low. 

22 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

411 L bars. 

Climb on back of truck cut strapping throw on floor. 

Send truck on its way. 

Pick them up put in barrow. 

How big is your digger. I would be very careful picking anything up with a small digger as the lifting capacity is very low. 

lol I like your thinking Russell!

It's a 3.2t Kubota. Got a 2.5t dumper too now so could throw them straight into that I guess

19 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

how much do they weigh??

411 weigh 0.633, so 1.54kg each - perfectly doable by hand. How long would a driver wait for unloading though?

I might even get them collected as they will be on a pallet which seems stupid to do by arctic. A smaller wagon with tail lift makes more sense. I've used Paisley freight before to ship a couple of engines and they load/unload as long as they are palleted

Get them to split it into 2 pallets and your digger with lift them no bother. Use 2 bars through the pallet base and a sling from one end to the other via a shackle. Hanging a sling on the teeth of a bucket isn't a very safe option. Keep the weight as low to the ground as you can. If you are confident you can rest the pallet on the blade so it won't swing about as much when moving.

Edited by Declan52

We had to do a lot of hand lifting of stuff, as a fair bit came on pallets, via a standard truck with a tail lift and that couldn't get up our drive, so had to drop the pallets at the bottom.  It keeps you fit shifting things like pallet loads of travertine flooring, or sandstone slabs, up our drive!  All told I think I shifted around 8 to 10 tonnes of stuff by hand from the bottom of the drive.  The worst was having 6 pallet loads of sandstone delivered, as it all arrived at around 4pm and I couldn't get my car out to drive home until after I'd unwrapped each pallet and lifted all the stone to the top of the drive and stacked it.  The 900 x 600 slabs (of which there were three pallet loads) were particularly memorable..................

Edited by JSHarris

2 hours ago, Vijay said:

How long would a driver wait for unloading though?

if you give them a warm cup and they can work their breaks to suit your drop, usually long enough, 

assuming you can get the dumper close enough, 800 pieces, 10 at a time, bundle every 20s ish shouldn't take much more than half hour, on your own....B|

ahhhh, they're 800 long, i knew i read it somewhere. 

411 :o you and a mate will have it done in no time. sod the warm cup...... unless of course the kettle was already on, always good to keep drivers on your side.

i would advise throwing them into the dumper though and not just on the floor to save time, no point in touching them more times than you need to