MVHR extract in plant room?

Hi all, 

We've just installed the heat recovery system - whilst doing so, a thought struck me. Should I put an extract in the plant room itself? There will be a 400L Megaflow hot water cylinder there along with the manifold system for the DHW supply. Given that there will be inevitable heat loss, is it worth capturing this in the heat recovery and redistributing it? I've got a couple of ports on the manifold left. 

DSC_0993[1].JPG

1 hour ago, jamiehamy said:

Hi all, 

We've just installed the heat recovery system - whilst doing so, a thought struck me. Should I put an extract in the plant room itself? There will be a 400L Megaflow hot water cylinder there along with the manifold system for the DHW supply. Given that there will be inevitable heat loss, is it worth capturing this in the heat recovery and redistributing it? I've got a couple of ports on the manifold left. 

DSC_0993[1].JPG

That's a nice neat installation! I've added an extract to the cupboard housing our UVC for that very reason - easier now than later.

• Like 1

I used to extract from the plant room, because our extract manifold is around 1.5m up on the plant room wall, so I just fitted a duct adapter with a restrictor ring, rather than a blanking plate.  It works fine in winter, but for most of the year it was putting too much heat back into the house, as our plant room was getting very hot (over 40 deg C) due to heat leakage from the double-insulated thermal store we had in there.  I stuck the blanking plug back on because of this and haven't tried the experiment again, not that room is a lot cooler because of the Sunamp PV, but it might be worth doing again now.

10 hours ago, jamiehamy said:

Hi all,

DSC_0993[1].JPG

As someone just starting my mvhr ducting design, can I ask why thenumber of inlet pipes is not equal to the number of outlet pipes?

Also,  some rooms have twin ducts for extract or supply depending on room size. Ours balances but not because of equal number or extracts and supplies. 

The two on the right going into the floor are the supply for the living room. The two going up the wall are single ducts to different rooms.