Sign in to follow this  
ash_scotland88

Hi Lo sensor

Been deep into Google and looking for a way out...

Looking for a stand alone hi lo sensor. By this I mean something that will sense night fall, turn on at eg 20% then when it senses movement turns to 100%.

I know all in one lights exist, we have one. Found manuals from a company that no longer exist, websites that mention they sell them but can't find the listing and some-one on an other forum looking to build his own...

Our new house has a long 30m+ front garden including stairs, so will including multiple lights. My plan is to have it running dimmed dusk to dawn, and a PIR at each end so when the front door opens or someone comes off the street they'll come to full brightness with sufficient time to get to the end.

Any suggestions?

Separate functions.  One set of dim lights on a dusk to dawn sensor, one set of brighter lights on PIR sensors.

I think with LED lamps now the norm and their low power consumption, the "need" for hi-lo lighting has largely gone.

Not sure there's an easy way to achieve the 20% criteria easily, but someone electrical will surely be along shortly!  Maybe 2 circuits; one set of 'ambient lighting' on a stand-alone photocell sensor on all night,  then your brighter pir 'task lighting' on a stand-alone photocell/pir sensor?

I have one from 10yrs ago and wanted more, I cant find them anywhere. have scoped out an alternative though.

It's a photocell with built in timer which turns on a circuit with a dimmer 25% to provide a low level lighting.

Then a standard PIR to detect motion with the 100% output to the light, essentially over-ruling the dimmer

Like you I didn't want twice as many lights as necessary, or to struggle to find anything decent with twin bulbs.

I've done a mock up and all works as required.

• Like 1

You could set up a regular Dusk Sensor to switch power to a dimmer. Then arrange a PIR sensor to bypass the dimmer. 

• Like 1

Really don't want two sets of lights, will need to install even more to achieve that, and I think would look pretty poor, like half/third of the lights are broken.

I think it will be a custom build job.

There's a while to go till move in so plenty of time to keep researching.

Found a solution.

Hypertronik HC019V http://www.hytronik.com/products/dual-photocell-microwave-motion-sensor-hc019v.html which can be synced together
Which will then be paired with a 24v dimmable driver eg https://www.bltdirect.com/osram-60w-optotronic-24-2v-programmable-led-driver
Along with 24v e27 dimmable lamps (and housing)

I was hoping I could run one 7core armoured cabled, but there's conflicting quick reading suggesting this is ok.
7 core=

L240v
N240v
E240v (not required)

L+ 24v
L- 24v

Sync cable.

Thoughts? Have I miss understood?

Looks interesting.  Is there an outdoor version?

20 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

Looks interesting.  Is there an outdoor version?

There's not but they do an IP65 box.
I think some models the sensor is on a cable, and other units can't sync to have multiple control points. Found the website a tad over complicated.

• Like 1

looks complicated for outside lighting.......

@TonyT it may be but I think going low voltage with this all in one sensor may the best solution.

My hope is the garage (we didn't get to see inside of it when viewing the house) at street level has power than I can use to power the "gate sensor."

I company that sells in the UK has come back with the price of £25 per unit, which will be even cheaper than having to buy various seperate sensors doing quick head maths. Depending on cable requirments this is where costs may equal.

Got the sensors and covers today, the covers are bigger than expected!
I've been a bit lazy with ordering the LED driver and a LV lamp.