Curious neighbours

I just wondered how others have dealt with this.  I am building in the village I grew up in, returning after just under 40 years away.  Anyway, we are being made very welcome by everyone (though most now have bought into the village since I grew up there) which is lovely. However, we've had a couple of incidents of people just wandering onto the site while there is work going on (and possibly after we've gone for all I know). I've got the big "Building site, keep out, hard hats, safety shoes, report to reception etc etc signs, but no one seems to take any notice. At night there's a gate across but obviously while the builders are in and out that's not the case. 

Apart from the obvious risks, it just seems cheeky to just wander onto someone's land just to nose (it's not something I myself would do uninvited) when we are not there. Tonight we've made up a sign thanking people for their interest but asking them NOT to enter unless accompanied by myself, my wife or our daughter. Trying to be firm but not too unfriendly. 

I wondered if anyone else had dealt with this.

Edited by curlewhouse

11 hours ago, curlewhouse said:

We've had people wandering in and peering through the windows. The first time I crept up to them outside and politely asked them if there was anything I could do to help them. They jumped out of their skins and were very embarrassed. Another time I was working inside near a window and someone looked in, so I looked back at them and went outside to ask them what they wanted. They looked guilty and apologised and admitted they were being nosey. When we've been working outside other people have stopped and asked if they can have a look and we've showed them round. We're out in the sticks and don't get many but I've found being polite and pointing out any dangers is better than being confrontational.

12 hours ago, curlewhouse said:

Almost always, smile  - chat if the person pauses. One who cycles by most days now works for me : a great young lad with lots of fizz, does a few hours cleaning up and light work each week. 

To those (often local worthies) who openly opposed the development, I reserve an especial smile. I may be wrong, but I sense a slow thaw in relations.

Intruders: hmmmm, it works well when your lad's the local copper, and his partner's the one of the local CSIs. I just wish they'd park their Police van outside more often 

3 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

I would have a couple of big signs saying "Smile, your on camera

You could be a bit more subtle than that and put up a large pair of beady eyes looking down.

Doing this at a university bike shed reduced the number of thefts and vandalism.

Maybe a little sign under it saying "Like what you see, want to know more, email us at xxx@yyy.com"

Actually we plan to have some sort of "do" near the end (I say near the end as I suspect I'll be doing "stuff" around the house for the rest of my life in reality, so probably to mark when the final certificate is granted) and invite neighbours and friends, and as a thank you for the Parish Council support and for all the good wishes we've had - its more people just wandering around when we are not there that concerns us. I myself would never just enter someone else's property and just wander about looking at it without them being there (unless a close friend where I knew I was welcome), not to mention the H&S aspects of course. 

Guest Alphonsox

A "do" is a good idea, we intending to do the same at the end of the build if we ever get there. It's taken very seriously in some parts of the continent. I attended several "pendaison de crémaillère*" parties when I lived in France and Switzerland. All friends, neighbors, builders, trades, local bigwigs etc invited to celebrate a job well done. Seemed to go down well on most occasions.

* Hanging of the hook, The hook was a rod above the fire from which pans were suspended for cooking. Traditionally this was the last thing done in the building of a new house. The fitting indicated that you had moved in and were ready to prepare your first meal. Not sure what the modern equivalent would be.

If there are fractious factions you could have the local Vicar or another functionary (King Arthur Pendragon, the local Earth Mother, or the Piper in Scotland....) come and bless it :-)

"From codgers, and bodgers and ill-mannered lodgers, 

and stoats, and goats, and questionable scroats,

and wild boars, and tame bores, and just down the lane bores, 

and bikers, and hikers, and people who like us...

Good Lord, Deliver Us".

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

A "do" is a good idea, we intending to do the same at the end of the build if we ever get there. It's taken very seriously in some parts of the continent. I attended several "pendaison de crémaillère*" parties when I lived in France and Switzerland. All friends, neighbors, builders, trades, local bigwigs etc invited to celebrate a job well done. Seemed to go down well on most occasions.

* Hanging of the hook, The hook was a rod above the fire from which pans were suspended for cooking. Traditionally this was the last thing done in the building of a new house. The fitting indicated that you had moved in and were ready to prepare your first meal. Not sure what the modern equivalent would be.

Seeing if the £2.6k down draught extractor actually works !? :D

17 hours ago, Alphonsox said:

The 'Installation of the Wireless Hub'?