SSEN

Ralph

Sorry this is a long one.

So we were all set to get our electricity connected to a transformer in our neighbours garden. It's been an epic back and forth with SSEN but we had paid the £5k plus asked ( new transform etc) months ago and thought we were done.

Neighbour was ok as he was told the transformer was only slightly bigger than the existing. It then turns out it is going from a 16kv to a 50kv

Neighbour understandably kicked off because he's going to end up with an eyesore in his garden. So SSEN decided that as we were using ASHP the existing 16kv should be fine. Everyone is happy, we may even get some money back, all systems are go!

Now they have changed their mind again. We do need an upgrade and now it's coming from the farm down the road. Because this is 300 more metres away the cost of cable has cancelled out the saving of not upgrading a transformer. We are now an extra £800 plus to SSEN on top of extra to contractors for trenching.

While it's not catastrophic it's p*ssed me off no end. So apart from moaning on here to get it off my chest can anyone suggest some arguments I can put to SSEN to try an claw some cash back.

Thanks

I would contest that. It is THEIR error.

In a similar situation when we built out first house, we had a low quite for a supply from SSE, because their plans showed a cable they could use in an adjacent bit of land.  It turns out that cable was not there, and they had to run a new cable all the way down the road from the transformer.  They picked up the extra cost.

I don't think the plan to feed two houses from an 8kVA transformer would have worked, suppose you both turned on a 19kVA shower at the same time?

So argue on the basis you had a supply designed and costed and you entered a contract on that basis.  If they want to alter the design at this late stage any additional cost should be met by them.

Tell them to revert to their original design and use a 25kVA transformer to keep the neighbour happy.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

So argue on the basis you had a supply designed and costed and you entered a contract on that basis.  If they want to alter the design at this late stage any additional cost should be met by them.

Tell them to revert to their original design and use a 25kVA transformer to keep the neighbour happy.

I like the idea of arguing that the contract was entered into, their mistake etc. Thanks for that.

Apparently the 25kVa is only slightly smaller than the 50 so they think it will be a no go. Also they have discovered that while they have a wayleave for the transformer they don't for the required cable splice on his land.

@Ralph when I was discussing our connection with SSEN they specifically said that if the accepted price turned out to be higher when they came to do the work then I wouldn't have to pay any more.

They also said if it cost less, we'd be due a refund. While I know it has cost them less, as you might imagine, getting a refund isn't straightforward.

I'll see if any of my paperwork helps.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TonyT said:

Write to the energy ombudsman, energy companies are a royal pain

You can’t go straight to the ombudsman. You have to complete the company’s formal complaints procedure first. 

2 hours ago, newhome said:

You can’t go straight to the ombudsman. You have to complete the company’s formal complaints procedure first. 

I've started off the complaint process so we'll see. I'm not holding my breath.

50 minutes ago, Ralph said:

I've started off the complaint process so we'll see. I'm not holding my breath.

I did win my case against Scottish Power 2 years ago (not about a connection). I was awarded £250 which was peanuts compared to the time and hassle. 

As suspected SSE have given me the brush off. "all projects are subject to wayleave approval". They said they had one when they took our money but turns out they don't.

Also because the alternative route crosses our stream we apparently need to put in concrete landings on either side for the ducting to connect to. I'm waiting for the specs but I'm assuming it's going to costly, everything seems to be with this project.

Edited by Ralph

5 minutes ago, Ralph said:

As suspected SSE have given me the brush off. "all projects are subject to wayleave approval". They said they had one when they took our money but turns out they don't.

Do you have it in writing that they said a way leave existed prior to signing up ..? If so they have misrepresented the contract if they now go back on it. 

1 hour ago, Ralph said:

Also because the alternative route crosses our stream we apparently need to put in concrete landings on either side for the ducting to connect to. I'm waiting for the specs but I'm assuming it's going to costly, everything seems to be with this project.

When you paid the money they entered into a contract with you, it’s not your fault that THEY made a mistake with whether or not they had a wayleave. Who are you talking to with regards to this? You need to tell them you are making a formal complaint (if you haven’t already done so) , you won’t get any joy with the first point of contact so you have to ask for the complaint to be escalated and keep doing so until you get to the top.

did your contract price show full detail of what was included ?

or anything not included  ,which is probably the main point of any complaint,

as you rightfuly expected a total costed quote for the job --which it appears you have paid 

If no exclusions shown --then its down to them 

the increase in transformer size after you paid -- is worrying as they no doubt have clauses which cover any unforseen alterations required 

look at your contract next 

I think they have it covered
Where we are unable to obtain third party consents, the design and terms of our contract with you may need to be revised and you will need to meet any associated additional costs that may be incurred by us or such third party, arising from but not limited to:
Land rights
· Legal and other professional fees and expenses incurred by us and any third party in connection with securing the required land rights; 
· Wayleave fees levied by third parties to process wayleave agreements; and
· Costs associated with any compulsory purchase or necessary wayleave applications, which may have to be submitted under the Electricity Act 1989. Timescales and costs for determination of a compulsory purchase or wayleave consent will depend on the specific circumstances of the application. An application for a compulsory purchase or necessary wayleave does not guarantee a positive determination. The decision to pursue a compulsory purchase or necessary wayleave remains at the sole discretion of Scottish Hydro Electric Power Distribution plc.

One of the other issues is that they will not do anything, including talking to the landowner of the new route without is accepting the new quote.

Edited by Ralph