Italian Import

Guest Alphonsox

Guest Alphonsox

We've been trying to decide on a recirculating extraction fan and induction hob for our new kitchen. I still like the idea of combining them into a single unit, On the other place we had discussed the Bora basic system but it's just too expensive (around 4500 Euro).

Last night I came across a similar looking setup from Elica (http://elica.com/GB-en/nikolatesla), This is available from various places/countries, the cheapest I can find is £1500 from Italy Vs £2100 in the UK.

Has anyone imported items like this from Italy - Any hints or thoughts as to whether this is a good idea ?

elica.jpg

Guest Alphonsox

I think that for £600 that's a risk i'm willing to take on. Nevertheless I will ring around some other UK stockists and see if they can get closer to the import price.

Go for it. I bought an Israeli designed, Turkish made induction hob from Comet when they closed down. That well known make "Electra Elecheib". Been as good as gold. Was £399, down to £199 and I found a 15% discount code that worked! For the price I "took a chance".

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Go for it. I bought an Israeli designed, Turkish made induction hob from Comet when they closed down. That well known make "Electra Elecheib". Been as good as gold. Was £399, down to £199 and I found a 15% discount code that worked! For the price I "took a chance".

There isnt that much difference in induction hobs. The problem is more likely to be an unusual size cutout in a stone worktop due to a premature failure on a hob and then finding a replacement hob requiring the same cutout. 

10 hours ago, Alphonsox said:

I think that for £600 that's a risk i'm willing to take on. Nevertheless I will ring around some other UK stockists and see if they can get closer to the import price.

Yes thats a huge price difference. I suspect that hob is actually made by EGO and badged Elica. Its a well made product but I didnt know Elica supplied hobs in the UK.

9 hours ago, duncgee said:

What happens if when you spill something over the extraction fan?

Just falls  into a container that is easy to wipe out.

Guest Alphonsox
1 hour ago, ryder72 said:

Yes thats a huge price difference. I suspect that hob is actually made by EGO and badged Elica. Its a well made product but I didnt know Elica supplied hobs in the UK.

Apparently the Hob uses EGO induction units and Eurokera glass, so a reasonable combination used by lots of manufacturers that should be reliable. There are a few kitchen outfits advertising this hob in the UK but I don't know whether they are sourcing through Elica UK or directly from the continent.

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

I wouldnt rate their hoods really. Quality is quite mediocre on their mainstream product but very good on their top end bought in products. I am pretty sure this is a bought in product from EGO.

4 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

Apparently the Hob uses EGO induction units and Eurokera glass, so a reasonable combination used by lots of manufacturers that should be reliable. There are a few kitchen outfits advertising this hob in the UK but I don't know whether they are sourcing through Elica UK or directly from the continent.

Most good manufacturers use EGO induction loops and their products are well made. Its the occasion when it goes wrong that you need to be prepared for. We have rarely had problems with EGO made products, but the failure rate hasnt been zero or insignificant. I would buy their product as I know the core product is sound. With induction hobs, the bit that are most likely to cause problems are the control circuits, not the loops themselves.

Guest Alphonsox
1 hour ago, Triassic said:

My father in law is fitted with a pacemaker, so induction hobs are a no-no for us.

I seem to remember reading that this was a theoretical risk rather than a real one. i.e. no-one with a pacemaker has ever been hurt by an induction hob. The BHF suggests keeping pacemakers 60cm from an induction hob while the hob manufacturers put in a pacemaker disclaimer to cover themselves against the theoretical risk.

...... Just found this paper on the subject

http://europace.oxfordjournals.org/content/8/5/377

Conclusion being that there is a risk of interference for some types of pacemaker at distances of 35cm or less, and your pot isn't over the coil. If interference does occur the pacemaker is likely to switch modes to cope anyway.

Guest Alphonsox

The extractor is fitted under the counter top and sucks 600+ M3/hr of air downwards through the central duct, then cleans it with some filters and vents it at floor level (or optionally out through the wall). How well this works I am trying to find out. The other manufacturer of the same type of extractor (Bora) seems to be well regarded, although this particular unit seems to be too new for any reviews.

I'm hoping that this hob along with the MVHR ceiling extracts will combine to give us air cleaning.

WOW!. I mean WOW!

Although not at the kitchen stage I was concerned about a ceiling extractor (flush into the ceiling) or one of those nice slide out the worktop ones.

Like you I agree it's how well it actually extracts. Also the noise!; would prefer the actual fan to be external so solve that issue.

Any info you do find please post!

Sad isn't it; how excited I can get over a hob!

The other theory is that induction hobs don't produce all the hot gases that burning gas does.  There's therefore apparently less of a hot, upwardly moving column to push cooking steam/smells etc upwards, so you have a better chance of catching it at hob level than you would if cooking with gas.

Whether that's true in practice I can't say.

4 hours ago, Alphonsox said:

The extractor is fitted under the counter top and sucks 600+ M3/hr of air downwards through the central duct,

that's a lot of air being moved in a relatively small area, i wonder how loud it is? one thing that puts me off extract units, though with going mvhr i may need one to keep extract filter clean.

Guest Alphonsox
20 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

that's a lot of air being moved in a relatively small area, i wonder how loud it is? one thing that puts me off extract units, though with going mvhr i may need one to keep extract filter clean.

It's speced at 59 dB at full tilt, but its unclear how you measure the noise of a unit that may be under a bit of chipboard or a tonne of granite. I guess you measure from the extract duct.

EDIT :- for the re-circulation unit i'm looking at the numbers are 480m3/hr at 62 db(A), the numbers above are for the external vent unit.

When we were given a demonstration of the Bora extractor, it certainly seemed very effective. I do recall asking the chap in the showroom about recirculation option rather than vented direct outside and he advised against it, indicating performance of the extractor was compromised / not as good when recirculating.

How much of a difference there would be performance wise, I'm not sure. I guess when recirculating, quality and performance of filters is important, and if additional filters (compared to venting outside) are required, there will be some impact on extraction rates.

Guest Alphonsox

For our design this hob extract will be in addition to the MVHR system. So I am hoping the hob extract will pull in the majority of the cooking fumes and filter out the smells and oils before recirculating into the room. The MVHR can then extract the recirculated air  plus any residual cooking fumes to the outside while keeping the heat inside the building.

I'm wondering about the hob vent. Our kitchen is below ground. 

So the vent would run down from the hob along and then up a good view meters before it could turn 90 degrees and vent outside.

Should that be ok? i.e. the length of vent and also a fairly long run vertical ?

Would the duct have 3 90 degree bends which would really badly impact the flow speed. One as it goes into the floor another as it comes back up to avoid the outside ground level and then another to exit the build. Would be possible to only have one as it goes into the floor and straight out but the ground level outside will need to be very low to suit this.

Hi all, we put in a bora basic last year and its been great. Cost £2200, however when we looked at the cost of a separate induction hob and decent downdraft extractor it was a no brainer to go with the bora, considering the difference in performance. Noise is fine at the 1st 2 settings , most powerful setting is a bit noisy but not as bad as any overhead extractors we have had in the past.