Recommended Posts

My ground workers are moling my water pipe today in my access road. All going well. 
 

There is one duct for an electricity cable (see photo). They are proposing to go OVER the duct with the water pipe. 
 

The water pipe will be only 300mm deep at the point. Is that ok? Would it be at risk of freezing?

 

Should I kick up a fuss and ask them to go UNDER the exposed duct SO its depth is 800mm as it is for the rest of the run?

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frost won’t be an issue but your water company may not be happy as they may insist on it being 6-700mm. The site survey from the utility company should show that cable anyway - it seems very shallow for electric ..?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just going through the shared duct thing and my builder said the  water needs to be lowest at 900mm and the electric above at 600mm, I think, but double check properly. 

Edited by Jilly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

300mm deep is NOT OK 760 is the norm and will be required bt the water company, take photos or better dont backfill, they would normally inspect 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 see attached water needs to be lower

DB925D51-5167-4795-A70B-530A9191CD50.jpeg

Edited by Bozza

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you say "my access road" is it yours or just the road to your property etc as there are specific depths to be adhered to when it comes to street works. Whatever, water is always 750mm afaik. Leccy 450mm min. They vary for instance if across agricultural land (say it might get ploughed). This might be of interest:

 

V1-Positioning-Colour-Coding-Issue-8.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anglian Water?

 

This is what they say:

 

Pipe position All underground pipework (except for pipes laid under a building) should be at a depth of no less than 750mm. Pipes must be at least 2m away from street furniture such as street lamps and utility poles and at least 350mm away from other utilities in the ground. This is to prevent pipework being penetrated by fluids or natural gases and allows for easier access if maintenance is required in the future

 

https://www.anglianwater.co.uk/siteassets/developers/water-services/step-4.pdf

 

I manually dug my short water trench to 750mm so tell that lazy mole if a self building computer programmer can reach 750 then so can a burrowing rodent.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Anglian Water?

 

This is what they say:

 

Pipe position All underground pipework (except for pipes laid under a building) should be at a depth of no less than 750mm. Pipes must be at least 2m away from street furniture such as street lamps and utility poles and at least 350mm away from other utilities in the ground. This is to prevent pipework being penetrated by fluids or natural gases and allows for easier access if maintenance is required in the future

 

https://www.anglianwater.co.uk/siteassets/developers/water-services/step-4.pdf

 

I manually dug my short water trench to 750mm so tell that lazy mole if a self building computer programmer can reach 750 then so can a burrowing rodent.

 

Builders rubble/tree roots/clay flints...repeat. I am NOT enjoying digging this by hand! ☹

 

20200914_172148.thumb.jpg.55fc4eacabe6e92bc13ae91fdf067f66.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Under, deffo NOT OK to come above, and a bit worrying that he would suggested it tbh!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all! Very helpful. 

 

A busy day yesterday. The pipe is now (along with a fibre-option-cable duct) in and I have lots of photos that I can share with Anglian Water.

 

In the end, we didn't remake the concrete road surface around the duct that I mentioned, with a road plate over for protection. This will enable us to easily revisit it again if Anglian Water requires it.

 

Interestingly, a few days ago Anglian Water said that they don't come out to inspect the installation of a TBS. (temporary builders supply). I will send them the photos and see what they say.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its all well and good saying 750mm which we do but have you ever seen the depths that the water boys actually put it in at. Multiple times i've seen them within 400mm of the surface they're lazy when it comes to obstacles and connections

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Its all well and good saying 750mm which we do but have you ever seen the depths that the water boys actually put it in at. Multiple times i've seen them within 400mm of the surface they're lazy when it comes to obstacles and connections

Agree with the above. I punctured a yellow gas pipe, 250mm below surface. Transco came out and fixed it, then sent me a bill. I sent the bill back and said that the pipe should have been deeper. Never heard from them again. So in that house, it is still 250mm below the surface.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Case in point. On today's job. All 3 within a nats bollock

20200923_080059.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Case in point. On today's job. All 3 within a nats bollock

20200923_080059.jpg

Wow. could they not have got them any closer. That is real world, rather than the paper drawing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Case in point. On today's job. All 3 within a nats bollock

20200923_080059.jpg


Wonder if those heras bases holding the water up will become a permanent installation..?? 🤣

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well its stoned up and gone now was only ecposed from 4pm till 8am. I quickly snapped a pic this morning 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now