Architect Fee - Is this expensive

Hey everyone,

My Architect has proposed a fee for building a 420sqm house with an assumed build cost of £150/sqft. Whist I know I can build cheaper than that, I am wondering what your thoughts are on his design fees. I have had no other design estimates from anyone else. I have seen this firms plans and they are a reputable trustworthy provider.

Initial Planning

1. Preparation
Initial meetings, collation of brief, collation of background information and collation of existing site information. £500.00.

2. Concept Design

Prepare scheme proposals in consultation with client and amend. £3,375.00

3. Developed Design
Prepare CAD proposals for the site including:-
• Liaise with client to agree design
• Location Plan • Site Plan
• Floor Plans • Elevations
• Roof Plan • Design and Access Statement
• 3D images • Co-ordinate consultants / reports
Submit Full Planning Application

£7,125.00

TOTAL: £11k + VAT

Post Planning

4 Technical Design
Technical design for Building Regulation application
Pre-construction Planning Conditions. Liaise with other
consultants.

£10,500.00

5 Construction
Preparation of construction information, co-ordination of other
design information, issue of contract documents and site visits/
meetings during the construction phase to monitor progress and
identify compliance with the contract documents. .

£3,500.00 (dont think I need this as I am self managing the build, contractors and materials myself)

6 Handover
Pre-occupation planning conditions and as built information.
Allows for additional site visit.

£500.00

TOTAL: £11k + VAT  (not included item 5 above as not needed)

FULL TOTAL: £22k + VAT (£26,400 all in)

Whether or not you can build it yourself cheaper isn't really much to do with how the architect is pricing it, they will be working off estimated build costs,  I'd say its a cheap fee for that size of house...

If you don't do stage 5, you probably won't get stage 6 for that fee (or at all) as it relies on tracking the changes throughout the build.

4 hours ago, dpmiller said:

why do concept, developed design, and technical design all look the same to me?

concept and developed are probably just their way of breaking down a huge cost. Technical design is filling out all the building regulations design forms basically and any other pre-requisite for building regs process

1 hour ago, AliG said:

That's below the architect's scale of charges I would say.

That will only be the start of the fees. You will need soil surveys, SE etc, easily another £10k.

Ok thats good to hear....and his cost is based on 4500 sqft plus basement of 200 sqm max.

On the ground, its not that far from the beach, and all new builds in this area get piled for this reason. However, as I want a basement, a full basement slab with no piling would be sufficient. If I only go with a part basement, I would end up having to pile parts of the footprint, so it's just easier to go with the full raft.

Based on the reply from my architect, maybe the council will add in pre-conditions so it looks like I may have to include one of these

(Architect): I would suggest getting an infiltration test done so that a surface water drainage design can be done by an engineer - otherwise you will just be left having to go through a 6 week process to discharge a pre-commencement condition before you can do anything.

4 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

This sounds like a reasonable fee and it is reassuring that they are trusted and reputable.  Some architects I have dealt with have slightly bizarre ideas or agendas and can be difficult to deal with.

ok thanks, its reassuring to hear others like yourself think this fee is reasonable. I didnt know what to expect from an Architects fee, so appreciate the time to reply to my thread.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/09/2020 at 10:58, ash_scotland88 said:

It reads like it's priced based on the RIBA plan of works stages. And reads like a decent break down of what's is what and how much.

You may need the architect to get the ball rolling for stage 5 before you take over as PM.

Yeah now I am more informed, thats to yourself and others here, I do feel like I am getting a good price for the service. I am at 650sqm now overall

9 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

Is that price still valid? As you have pretty increased by 50%. It seems like a good price.

Btw what are you building? An oligarch residence?

Well yeah its about 420sqm plus basement, so we are up at near 650sqm overall of potential living/useable internal space. yes I am trying to build the biggest house possible for a plot. Anything can be done with time, patience, and plenty of £££

On 06/09/2020 at 10:53, Internet Know How said:

My Architect has proposed a fee for building a 420sqm house with an assumed build cost of £150/sqft.

definitely check what's happening to the fee by adding that much area - all of my appointments state that the fee is updated as we go if it's based on a square meter rate...

1 minute ago, Internet Know How said:

Well yeah its about 420sqm plus basement, so we are up at near 650sqm overall of potential living/useable internal space. yes I am trying to build the biggest house possible for a plot. Anything can be done with time, patience, and plenty of £££

and also make sure your architect has appropriate PI cover for basements! this year there are a lot of caveats in renewals...

3 minutes ago, Internet Know How said:

why would he need the PI cover though?

Architects are required to have appropriate insurance in place, it's determined in the code of conduct.

Our premium doubled this year for the same level of cover and that was without the cover for basements!

3 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

Architects are required to have appropriate insurance in place, it's determined in the code of conduct.

Our premium doubled this year for the same level of cover and that was without the cover for basements!

Ah right, ok. Just checked their fee proposal document and it does say they have full PI coverage

I’ve spoken to the architect that we used on the first one 

He’s stated about 1800-2000 design and planning Plus LP fees
mans about the same for working drawings material submission etc 

They have quite a few large jobs on