Washing Machine / Dishwasher Cleaner

Onoff

We always used to use Oust to clean the Hotpoint washing machine and Bosch dishwasher. When the Hotpoint engineer came out once he slated Oust and recommended Wpro, universal limescale and grease remover. Of course he would recommend a Whirlpool product! ?

Any other recommendations?

A good place to check this kind of stuff is often Amazon reviews.

Both get a very high score from lots of customers. WPRO seems a little cheaper as you can buy large boxes for less than £1 a go.

Considering they are cheap and well reviewed I am not sure it is worth looking elsewhere.

It is amazing the effect hard water has on machines. I have never used one of these products ever up here with no obvious issues.

32 minutes ago, AliG said:

A good place to check this kind of stuff is often Amazon reviews.

Both get a very high score from lots of customers. WPRO seems a little cheaper as you can buy large boxes for less than £1 a go.

Considering they are cheap and well reviewed I am not sure it is worth looking elsewhere.

It is amazing the effect hard water has on machines. I have never used one of these products ever up here with no obvious issues.

201 - 275 ppm here. ?

1 minute ago, SuperJohnG said:

Move to Scotland....don't think hard water is an issue anywhere here? 

Only downside being that little light to say you have no salt in the dishwasher never goes out. ?

Dishwasher is too old to have such a light. It's like Trigger's Broom. I sort/fix the DW.

We pay to have the WM under a service contract 'cos it's always going wrong and basically crap. Sealed drum etc. 

26 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Dishwasher is too old to have such a light. It's like Trigger's Broom. I sort/fix the DW.

We pay to have the WM under a service contract 'cos it's always going wrong and basically crap. Sealed drum etc. 

I had to Google triggers broom.....albeit I know the programme. 

I'm getting a borehole at my plot albeit I scotland i wonder if thats different to normal soft water supply. 

We put cheap white vinegar in our dishwasher. Set machine  going on a hot wash and wait for the initial pump out to finish. Then open door and pour it in. Can also use it as rinse aid.

Edited by Temp

9 hours ago, Temp said:

We put cheap white vinegar in our dishwasher. Set machine  going on a hot wash and wait for the initial pump out to finish. Then open door and pour it in. Can also use it as rinse aid.

I've heard of the "cupful of white vinegar trick". Got a feeling we might have tried it but it was when the DW had serious blockage issues. 

When I have had to strip the dishwasher down I used vinegar & bicarb to flush through the bubble matrix. The main issues were that and the grey pipe at the bottom which was full of gunge. I wonder how many DWs get binned because of this. 

Tbh that's how SWMBO cleans the kettle of limescale here (white vinegar). 

As I don't want to be drinking softened water (I'm one red label away from high BP problems again), I'd want a separate, cold mains feed for all the sinks and basins.

Can't quite get my head round the plumbing. Mains comes in one side of the (big) house where the 3 WCs, bathroom and ensuite is. A 15mm cold feed then goes up and through the dormer ceiling to the kitchen the other side of the house. HW Cylinder is above the kitchen ceiling, CWS and header tanks are above that. Boiler next to the kitchen. Hot to the sinks and baths then go back across the top of the dormer/ round the outside to the other side of the house again. To run new pipes (and copper is a must here) it's either floors up of ceilings down...or HOUSE down! ?

Guess I need to separate the mains somewhere...

One for another day (year).

Siting the water filter where the mains comes in in the bathroom cupboard isn't favoured by SWMBO. Then where to take the drain to etc.

Edited by Onoff

• 2 weeks later...

Cup of white vinegar in the top tray and the hottest wash available always does it for dishwashers.

All these fancy brands will have to believe that have magic potions.

All in 1 dishwasher tablets from LIDL / ALDI are great too, but it does no harm to keep the salt container topped up if you are outside of scotland and the far south west.

1 hour ago, ryder72 said:

Cup of white vinegar in the top tray and the hottest wash available always does it for dishwashers.

All these fancy brands will have to believe that have magic potions.

All in 1 dishwasher tablets from LIDL / ALDI are great too, but it does no harm to keep the salt container topped up if you are outside of scotland and the far south west.

Don't think I've ever put salt in our dishwasher, its nearly 5 years old. And only a thimble of vinegar would fit in the tab slot - 50ml? 

Occasionally throw in a 'cleaner', never specifically cleaned the rotors

^ normal dishwasher owner/operator

If you use all in one tabs, strictly speaking there is no need to use salt. However, salt is no inexpensive that it does help neutralise the chalk we get FOC with our water in the southeast more effective so for the sake of a few quid a year there is no point in compromising.

If you dont use all in one tabs, then salt is definitely needed to soften hard water.

Vinegar goes into a cup on the top shelf at the front of the dishwasher. I am not sure why it should be at the front but it didnt seem worth my while experimenting.

Its more important that cleaning the dishwasher with various cleaners to clean out the filters every couple of weeks if its used daily without rinsing plates before loading (we dont). The amount of gunk is eye opening. 

1 hour ago, ryder72 said:

Vinegar goes into a cup on the top shelf at the front of the dishwasher. I am not sure why it should be at the front but it didnt seem worth my while experimenting.

Guessing: because that is where the tablets go roughly, so designed to distribute evenly from there.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

Guessing: because that is where the tablets go roughly, so designed to distribute evenly from there.

Maybe. But the tablet drops into the base which is flooded. 

Doesnt matter as I have found a cup of white vinegar does the job perfectly and costs pennies vs a fancy bottle of multicoloured liquid for £3.

3 hours ago, ryder72 said:

The amount of gunk is eye opening. 

After many years of use I stripped the dishwasher to it's component parts. The "grey tube" at the base was pretty much solid. You have to wonder how many get thrown out for this.

4 hours ago, ryder72 said:

? Literally a cup of vinegar put on the top rack. ok.