VCL- what to choose?

Crofter

OK not the most exciting topic of discussion I admit!

I've just about finished insulating the inside of the house and next step is the vapour barrier layer, which is also going to be the airtightness layer.

Big range of stuff on offer from 150 to 1000 gauge, big range of prices too.

Are any materials better than others when it comes to getting them stuck together?

Anybody care to share what they've used? Don't want to spend hours looking this up if I can avoid it :D

• Like 1

I am using Intello for all the tough bits, like Tony tray's etc, but it's expensive http://www.ecomerchant.co.uk/walls/airtightness-products/internal-membranes/pro-clima-intello-plus-1-5x50m.html

The one I am looking for for all the simple stuff, just lining the walls etc I have see, another builder just up the road is using it. It's Yellow in colour and very much like the Intello but without the reinforcing strands built into it. It's called Protect Air or something like that.  he said he got it from Jewsons, but when I was in there last week to get some timber I asked and got a blank look and a shrug of the shoulders, so I am still looking. Once I have positively identified it I will see if they or TP can order it, or buy it on line.

EDIT:

Found it. It's called Protect Barriair http://www.protectmembranes.com/protect-barriair-avcl/p/13

The builder up the road said it was the cheapest he could find, so now I know what it's called I'll see what the merchants can come up with.

Guest Alphonsox

Our builders used Gerband SD2 - http://www.munsterhrv.com/airtightness_membrane.pdf

This was taped together using Gerband 586 hermetic tape. - http://www.eltete.ee/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Gerband-586-teip-Tk-ENG.pdf

The main thing you need to be sure of is that the membrane and tape are going to stay stuck for the life of your house and not part company after a few years or a particularly hot summer/cold winter

Thanks all- I went into this assuming that all I was after was a sheet of plastic, but obviously there is a bit more to it than that!

I hadn't even realised that you could get membranes with adhesive already on them.

All the joints will be battened, although some of the detailing around windows and doors will probably rely on tape.

I,ve bought vc plastic & good quality tape.  I will physically seal all the joints as well as tape them.  The cost of the 'proper' membranes will pay for 5yrs+ of heating! Just couldnt convince myself that they were worth it.

I'm a bit surprised that it's a complex as it appears to be. My roofing membrane was quite pricey but then that has to be breathable. For the vapour/airtightness layer I had assumed that even a very thin layer of polythene would be 100% watertight and airtight. So maybe worth buying a slightly heavier gauge for longevity, but other than that...?

I was told to use plastic sheet designed for vc - 'cheap' tape continues to give off volatile chemicals (I'm told)  that make the tape come away. I'm not taking the risk of this so will use good tape + physically fix, I may even put a smear of silicone between the two layers.

Should be ok.

I've experience of this Siga tape and I can say it's incredibly good stuff. Compromise on the membrane all you can, but DO NOT compromise on the tape ;)

Cheaper tapes which give up and start to leak will negate all the hard work you've done, and also the situation would become exaggerated by the fact you've got MVHR, so, give this the same respect you gave your founds and raft and keep the standard high. ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

I've experience of this Siga tape and I can say it's incredibly good stuff. Compromise on the membrane all you can, but DO NOT compromise on the tape ;)

Cheaper tapes which give up and start to leak will negate all the hard work you've done, and also the situation would become exaggerated by the fact you've got MVHR, so, give this the same respect you gave your founds and raft and keep the standard high. ?

This is the tape I've used. Bought 10 rolls from Germany.  Damn good. As Nick says - keeping the standards high on stuff I wont be able to redo.

Nadolig Llawen.

11 minutes ago, CC45 said:

This is the tape I've used. Bought 10 rolls from Germany.  Damn good. As Nick says - keeping the standards high on stuff I wont be able to redo.

Nadolig Llawen.

What price did you get it for? I hope a lot cheaper than that link?

This is the one I have been using http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=air+tightness+tape&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xtescon+tape.TRS0&_nkw=tescon+tape&_sacat=0

The cheapest seems to be from Ireland, but the postage is somewhat steep. I may be asking if any of our Irish members might buy it and post it a bit cheaper?

8 minutes ago, ProDave said:

The cheapest seems to be from Ireland, but the postage is somewhat steep. I may be asking if any of our Irish members might buy it and post it a bit cheaper?

Not a bad thought - I did think about seeing if we can get a bulk purchase deal.