joe90

Do flies hibernate.

After such a long wet period finally some sunshine, but what’s this, my conservatory is full of flies!!,! And I mean many hundreds. There is a slight design flaw in that where the sloping roof fits the timber there is a tapered gap that flies can get into. I meant to fill this with foam strip but forgot last year. It would appear the flies have “hibernated” in this gap and come out into the warm. There are no flies outside to indicate they are coming in from out there.

answers on a post card to........

Cluster flies can do this. Do they seem a bit dozy?

Sounds very much like cluster flies.  They hibernate in tiny gaps, typically around the outside of windows and doors.  I had thousands of them inside my garage last year, all banging their heads on the window, trying to get out.

Cluster flies get past the first seal in our Rationel windows, so when you open them for the first time in the spring a whole load of half asleep dopey flies fall in and you spend the next 10 minutes chasing them out.

We moved in in Oct, cleared the loft Nov, it's March and if I open the loft hatch for a few hours the bedroom window sill will have flies tried to get out. Don't have clue where they are in the loft, it's be vacuumed to to bottom. Don't want to use chemicals so hoping it'll fade away.

Thanks one and all, yes, sounds like cluster flies, must fill the gaps and keep vacuum ing.

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

Thanks one and all, yes, sounds like cluster flies, must fill the gaps and keep vacuum ing.

They can get in through extremely thin gaps, and even seem to be able to get past the flap type outer window seals.  They are also creatures of habit, and will often over-winter in the same place, year after year (no one seems to know why, as they don't live that long).  I believe that there are some deterrents available, a bit like using diluted peppermint oil to keep spiders away.  Once the cycle is broken it seems that there's half a chance that they won't come back again in the Autumn.

I have bought fly papers on line to help (if they arrive !).

We have flies hibernating under the roof tiles and in the winter when the sun shines they come out and provide a good meal for the pied wagtails.

• Like 1

For cluster flies we find regular use of foggers helps. 

For big flies we've had great success with "Red Top" catchers.