Electric boiler confusion, and EV charging.

AliG

7 minutes ago, Temp said:

I think the systems in the original news article are electric boilers heating a water thermal store used for both heating and DHW. I suspect the whole system is too small and the store is running out, particular after a shower or two.

Although heating up anything at 15p per kwh is always going to be costly. Mine is affordable at 8p and it's not right that these guys have to pay double for a similar system from the same supplier. The 'change my tariff' option in Scottish Power's app is bullshit too. It tells me that I can reduce my £140 per month payment to £55 a month by selecting one of the 2 suggested tariffs. When I look they have only taken the standard meter into account and note that my annual usage is circa 3000kwh. My actual usage is over 14000kwh. Oh, and the 'cheaper' tariff on offer is over 17p per kwh (I pay a touch under 15p for standard use currently).

• Sad 1

Did a little 'how much electricity do I use' experiment today. 

Pretty rough and ready as I could only read the numbers from the meters but I used 1kwh of 'standard use' electricity (just the normal stuff like fridge freezers, laptop, lights etc.) during the peak Octopus Agile period of 4pm and 7pm. I used 45kwh for the 2 hours my boiler was on however! ? it's probably as cold as it's been this year so far however. Over the last 2 months I've used an average or £5.31 of electric per day, or circa £160 a month. With the overnight electricity often being half what I pay now if I were able to swap to Octopus Agile you can see why I was keen to do it. Damn 3 phase!!! I can't see a better priced tariff that provides me with as much flexibility as I have now however (18 hours of cheap rate electricity for heating) so looks like I'm stuck with them until the tariff expires in September and then hope that it doesn't rise too much in price from then on. 

13 minutes ago, newhome said:

Did a little 'how much electricity do I use' experiment today. 

Pretty rough and ready as I could only read the numbers from the meters but I used 1kwh of 'standard use' electricity (just the normal stuff like fridge freezers, laptop, lights etc.) during the peak Octopus Agile period of 4pm and 7pm. I used 45kwh for the 2 hours my boiler was on however! ? it's probably as cold as it's been this year so far however. Over the last 2 months I've used an average or £5.31 of electric per day, or circa £160 a month. With the overnight electricity often being half what I pay now if I were able to swap to Octopus Agile you can see why I was keen to do it. Damn 3 phase!!! I can't see a better priced tariff that provides me with as much flexibility as I have now however (18 hours of cheap rate electricity for heating) so looks like I'm stuck with them until the tariff expires in September and then hope that it doesn't rise too much in price from then on. 

What is the rate, we are econ 7  - Our rate is 8.x & 12.X with SG 21 a day with symbio

Currently we have no hot water because the emersion tank has been taken out. Decided the space in the bedroom was worth more than the cost of heater water to wash hands & dishes. We have an electric shower and we'll be fitting in instant hot water in the kitchen. Juggling the electric bills is a nightmare and it's one of the reason I want to get as far as I can from relying on the grid. When we move din here the last couple were paying £2,000+ a year, I've already got that down to est £900 and I want it down to £500 by next winter. Of cause to do that I'll need to spend money now to save later ?

5 minutes ago, Delicatedave said:

What is the rate, we are econ 7  - Our rate is 8.x & 12.X with SG 21 a day with symbio

That's a pretty good price. Haven't heard of them as a supplier however. 

Mine is 8.x for heating (available 18 hours a day) and 14.x for other use (24 x 7). Standing charge is quite expensive - 34p. The flexibility to use the heating more or less when I want to is a big draw (and my biggest cost by far) so probably wouldn't swap tariffs for a modest saving (I would need to get the meters rewired too). I would have gone for the Octopus Agile tariff if I had been able to switch though. I could have worked with that pretty easily. Maybe next year ?.

2 hours ago, newhome said:

Haven't heard of them as a supplier however

Registered office - Symbio Energy Ltd, 103 Mansion House, BRE - Building Research Establishment, Bucknalls Lane, Watford, WD25 9XX

So.... it's a spin off of the BRE, an old government department. You can't sign up with them if you have a smart meter, or want export payments. But their mission is dedicated to green energy.

It's a funny old world.

9 hours ago, Delicatedave said:

When we move din here the last couple were paying £2,000+ a year, I've already got that down to est £900 and I want it down to £500 by next winter. Of cause to do that I'll need to spend money now to save later

I used almost 3 times as much energy when I first moved to my house.  Th only things I spend any serious money on was getting new window panes.  The old ones had blown so took the opportunity to up the gap to 16mm.

The rest of the improvements were a few quid on more loft insulation and draft proofing.

And a washing line (£2 and the biggest energy saving device there is).

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I'll second that.

We were tumble drying sheets and duvet covers and they tend to get tangled up and so there will be a damp corner. My wife would just put them back in.

I looked into various pulleys, metal bars etc but they were expensive and often too short for a duvet cover. So I just screwed a hook into the wall at each end of the laundry room and strung a washing line between them. Almost halved the number of times we run the tumble dryer. Admittedly doesn't look pretty but it is a laundry room.

6 minutes ago, AliG said:

Almost halved the number of times we run the tumble dryer

I did not use mine once last year, maybe twice the year before.

I always buy a washing machine with a built in tumbler, but I am not sure why now.

I find putting clothes on hangers, hanging them from the curtain rail and cracking the window open to let in a bit of air works a treat.

Oh, and the £2 included pegs.

15 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I did not use mine once last year, maybe twice the year before.

We don't have one, although Wendy would like one to fluff up the towels, like we did in our last house. We hang up our washing in the wetroom and it dries very quickly.

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I use my dryer most of the time. Can’t hang washing out 90% of the time as it’s too windy and can’t stand wet washing hanging inside. I don’t find that the dryer is too expensive in the great scheme of things. 

55 minutes ago, AliG said:

We were tumble drying sheets and duvet covers and they tend to get tangled up and so there will be a damp corner. My wife would just put them back in.

I check mine if I have bed linen in there and take it out and shake it periodically. That’s something I won’t be able to do if I move to a cheap overnight tariff though. 

14 minutes ago, ProDave said:

If you are going to have a dryer, for god sake get a condensing dryer.

Yep I have had condensing dryers for the last 20+ years. 

I have a different heat wasting issue just now anyway. I opened the back door last night just as a huge gust of wind hit it. Now it no longer seals to the frame properly and there is cold air rushing in. I will do a separate thread about that tonight as I need to know if I can adjust it somehow. I closed the door to the utility room last night (generally the warmest room in the house as the boiler and TS are just off the utility room) and the temperature dropped from 21 degrees to 16 degrees overnight. 

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I used almost 3 times as much energy when I first moved to my house.  Th only things I spend any serious money on was getting new window panes.  The old ones had blown so took the opportunity to up the gap to 16mm.

The rest of the improvements were a few quid on more loft insulation and draft proofing.

Mmm... more than my life's worth to suggest a washing line. When I do the washing all my clothes I put on hangers to dry in the house but if I put hers like that she doesn't like as it makes the material scratchy. I never iron anything either it drive her mad and don't tell her but I never put washing power in unless the is a stain to get rid of ?

4 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

My dryer is condensing. But I think that it uses cold water which just goes down the drain after.

How does it ‘use’ cold water? Mine isn’t connected to any water source. I thought the warm air is just passed through a heat exchanger and the resulting cooled water collects in a tank? 

4 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I bought a new iron and ironing board in 1984.

After a couple if house moves, I binned them. They where still in the packaging.

That was 1999.

The mrs goes though ironing board at a rate of at least one a year. All she has to do it remember to put the iron on the metal things but she never does so a big brown pack arrives till in goes though the cover. The she replaces the cover a few times before she decide she want a new board. So bloody annoying!

54 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

It is a washer dryer. I think it just tricked water through a small heat exchanger.

God I had one of those once. The drying was horrendous. I think it would have dried better if I had rolled everything up in a tight ball and directed a fan heater on it. Separate dryer only from now on. 

51 minutes ago, Delicatedave said:

The mrs goes though ironing board at a rate of at least one a year.

Never do ironing here. Life’s too short. Another reason for using the dryer. Most stuff comes out crease free. 

1 hour ago, newhome said:

I use my dryer most of the time. Can’t hang washing out 90% of the time as it’s too windy and can’t stand wet washing hanging inside. I don’t find that the dryer is too expensive in the great scheme of things. 

You need a shelter belt of trees for your washing line ? . 

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

Ours is I think 1400 rpm which makes  the washing significantly dryer than even 1200.

My old one was 1600 rpm but when I wanted to replace it I had to move to a 1400 one to get the other things on my wish list (the main one being that the fast wash could use the highest spin speed since most fast washes seem to cap that to 800). I have noticed that the clothes are wetter at 1400 than 1600.