Internal window reveals/Fermacell

Russdl

42 minutes ago, PeterW said:

You shouldn’t need to but I assume PVA

@nod have you had to skim Fermacell..???

Yes Peter 

I use quite a bit of Fernacell 

Mainly render 

I’ve D&D with them also But they still need to be mechanically fixed

I normally lay a three mil coat of car lite bonding on with 10% board finish mixed in Then render mesh laid on and flattened in 

and skimmed with multi the same day This method gives a 100% guarantee against cracking or blowing and leaves no trace of the knock ins 

Hope this helps Peter 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

there is your answer ..!

You’d think so, wouldn’t you, apart from whilst I recognised pretty much all the words that @nod used, I don’t think I’ve seen them arranged in that order before! ???

I'm constantly amazed with how little I know. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Their standard board is no good as a render carrier.  They do a cement based board as well, but their normal boards are gypsum based and prone to mould.

You can render on most surfaces 

over the years I’ve two coat rendered plasterboard 

Even a fishing trawler 

• 1 month later...

Sadly my Fermacell experiment has come to an end. 

We've found it very difficult to get a smooth flush finish to the boards with a less than smooth and uneven timber frame to attach the boards to. Where resilient bars were used it went someway to help but that hasn't been fool proof.

The precision required to ensure that endless filling and sanding isn't needed prior to the Fine Surface Treatment is very time consuming and has been problematic. As time was running out we ended up getting the first room skim plastered, which made me weep as all the time and effort to get it pretty good was then buried beneath a few mm of plaster. The plasterer hated the Fermacell but he's done a great job. 

I had a go with the FST in one of the cupboards and I didn't get on with it very well at all. With more practice and time I may have got to grips with it, but I don't have the time so the final decision was made. No more Fermacell.

I wished it had worked out for us because it's really quite disappointing to be introducing so much water into what was a nice and dry house but such is life.

As many advised:

It's heavy.

Dust created with power tools is hideous.

It does indeed eat power tools and their blades alive.

It is of course expensive.

• Sad 1

Sorry the Fermacell won't work for you, but you can move on now and you have a plasterer on hand, so all's not lost.  I used a commercial dehumidifier in my place to assist with drying, but that was in the very early months of the year.  Worth considering, perhaps.

@Russdl Yes, sorry you're changing direction. But its good that you can now forge ahead, renewed.

Will you be still using the remainder of your Fermacell boards and just skimming them, or flipping over to now using plasterboard?

Your experience has been instructive. It brings it home the importance in the regularity and uniformity of the underlying studs and battens.

@vivienz it’s quite interesting really, the house has no heating but has never felt cold over the winter even though it’s been down to 10 degrees inside, now that we’ve added gallons of water 14 degrees feels cold. 

@Dreadnaught We’ll use what we have left to finish of the bathrooms and toilet where it will be tiled over, so much easier to use. 

Onwards and upwards...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

I am attending an official Fermacell one-day training course in Birmingham next Monday. Let's see if I the course sways me in favour. I will report back.

Try cutting in a few electrical sockets.  I will be very interested to hear your take.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

I have consistently advised against using Fermacell

You did indeed and with 20/20 hindsight I should have listened (but I’ve always been a bit pig headed).

The marketing does seem to gloss over some of the nitty gritty but I’m sure a well trained team would ace it, but probably best in an office block or something like that.

I’m very grateful to @PeterW for his help to allow us to get this far but as a one and a half man band I’ve admitted defeat.

Started with some plasterboard today - all ready broken 3 sheets, that never happened with the Fermacell ?

@Dreadnaught it’ll be interesting to hear your feedback after your course. 

I find the box cutouts to be a piece of cake with the right tools. 10mm steel drill bit for the corners and a jigsaw with the right bit does the job well.

The issue is it eats impact drivers and wrists.

Technique is critical to get a good quality install.

Also, need at least two people to make the job viable, even with one-man boards. 

It is a viable product, but not certain it is worth it for the extra cost and effort. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Visti said:

It is a viable product, but not certain it is worth it for the extra cost and effort. 

I think that is ultimately where I am regarding Fermacell. I found myself putting noggins in today, never considered that when I was using the Fermacell.

• Like 1