Polished Concrete Worktops: Snog, Marry , Avoid: and why?

ToughButterCup

9 hours ago, Onoff said:

The vids I've watch they cast the slab upside down in a shallow box with smooth faces. All internal corners are caulked to give radiussed edges. Mesh laid in halfway thru the pour.

Yes. Going skip wombling today on the way back from the gym -  for waste melamine surfaces ...

19 minutes ago, Adrian Walker said:

IMHO the only reason that you would want a concrete work top is that you can't afford any solid surface material, eg. corian granite, etc.

Erm...a lot of it isn't a case of should you do something but can you do something just for the technical challenge and satisfaction. 

20 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I just took delivery of a stone resin shower tray.  I wonder if you could use a similar material and technique for a worktop?

What Corian, and similar, are.

For a few thousand I could cast you a phenolic one.

That would be sturdy, long lasting and fire resistant.

It would drop sulphuric acid for a few weeks, but that will eventually stop.

Not saying it would be beautiful mind.

Edited by SteamyTea

Read an article about self compacting/consolidating concrete (for my raft foundation) and it had a section on worktops. Said it was ideally suited due to it fully filling a form easily and not leaving bug holes. Also claimed that if smooth enough form was used, no polishing was needed.

https://www.concretenetwork.com/self-consolidating-concrete/

Obviously you'd have to come up with your own mix... Which might be a challenge!

Edited by Conor

1 minute ago, Conor said:

Read an article about self compacting/consolidating concrete (for my raft foundation) and it had a section on worktops. Said it was ideally suited due to it fully filling a form easily and not leaving bug holes. Also claimed that if smooth enough form was used, no polishing was needed. Pictures looked pretty good. I'll try and find it in my history.

sounds like an old worktop as  a former then .

and some sort of vibrating device 

I have made balustrade posts using plastic ornamental plant pots , 2 to a finished post--as a mould -- needed vibrating to get perfect no air bubble finish 

6 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

sounds like an old worktop as  a former then .

and some sort of vibrating device 

I have made balustrade posts using plastic ornamental plant pots , 2 to a finished post--as a mould -- needed vibrating to get perfect no air bubble finish 

That's the advantage of a self compacting concrete mix... No compaction or vibration required. Watch some of the videos, looks like lumpy water lol

26 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Coward. ?  Where's your sense of advencha  man? 

Says I  to the only person who has actually flown around  in my kitchen ..... Remember that?

I do. I thought about giving you a surprise visit weekend before last to see how you were getting on. That was until I realised Nottingham is a lot further away from you than I thought and I was only meant to be collecting a dishwasher in the work van. 

I'll take the coward comment, Faye's not as available to lift things anymore and I really haven't got time to do "prototypes" at the moment.